Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Ernie,ernie,ernie! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ernie,ernie,ernie!

#21 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

View Postforevablue, on 19 August 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Hi Nigel, this is fantastic news. All of us of that era have so many wonderful memories of Ernie and the great teams that he played in so good luck with sorting out what I'm sure will be an overwhelming response to your request.

Regarding the Education Department comments I know someone who still goes in the Thorntree Inn at Matlock who was either Ernie's manager back in the day or certainly a senior figure who knew him at the time. I'll see if he has any interesting tales to tell.

Some good players have played in those inter-departmental games with me definitely not being one of them! I played in Carl Swan's team (his Dad was Peter of course) when I worked at Clay Cross and once in a cricket match similarly organised on Matlock's ground was a player who had played second tier in Australia; fortunately it was 35 and out and no-one got hurt trying to stop any of his strikes as most of them ended up over the road in Matlock park.

Happy days, Paul.

Thanks Paul.

Any help or information about Ernie's time at County Offices would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards Nigel.

#22 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

I'll be buying one. Sounds good.

#23 User is offline   BurySpireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:House, CFC & Reddit.

Newcastle based doc

RIP Bury FC + Barry Chuckle

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

Can't wait to get this my dad for Christmas! (and then pinch to read for myself...)

Just hope he doesn't hear about it being made, would be a great surprise for him.
I just don't know what I'm supposed to be

#24 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

I've had a good response to my book announcement over the past couple of days with a number of people already placing orders before I've even had time to get the flyer/pre-subscription form printed.

This includes a couple from Port Vale fans.

If anyone on this forum wishes to place an order please send me a pm or email me at: nigelgoodlad@rocketmail.com with your name and address.

No payment is required until next September.

Cheers Nigel.

#25 User is offline   SalvadorDarley 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

View Postplannerj, on 18 August 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

I hope you won't mind me adding my lasting memory of the week when Ernie turned professional for the Spireites, I think in 1967 or thereabouts. He worked in the County Education Department. I worked for the Peak Park Planning Board. We were allowed to take part in the County Council's inter-departmental football matches and on the Monday before he joined Town, he played his very last amateur game against us. The result 7-0 to our opponents with the great man scoring five! Oh happy days!
Ps. The match was at the Whitworth Park at Darley Dale. A regular venue in those days.

As someone Darley Dale born and bred I never knew the great man played at Whitworth Park. I do now.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users