Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Play-Making Midfielder - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play-Making Midfielder

#41 User is online   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostCFC_92, on 15 July 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

Yeah we sign semedo that would complete the pack. I would be eagerly awaiting the start of the season then.

WAS TOLD TODAY SEMEDO HAS BEEN MESSING US ABOUT AND WE CAN DO BETTER LOOKING FOR GOALSCORING MIDFIELDER , HAD ROBBIE WEIR EX BURTON AS MIDFIELD SUB , NOTHING SPECIAL , FRENCH LAD DID OK , LOOKED WELL BEATEN TEAM ALOT OF YOUNGSTERS IN FOR US

#42 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 22 July 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

WAS TOLD TODAY SEMEDO HAS BEEN MESSING US ABOUT AND WE CAN DO BETTER LOOKING FOR GOALSCORING MIDFIELDER , HAD ROBBIE WEIR EX BURTON AS MIDFIELD SUB , NOTHING SPECIAL ,

I got the right bloke then. It looks like he signed a 2 year contract with Orient last summer, didn't play much last season, and was released early though I couldn't find confirmation of that. Bit of a step down from Semedo. FWIW the Wednesday manager suggested on radio he had messed them about as well, if I heard it right.

#43 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostGoku, on 22 July 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

I loved Roberts, actually don't think he got enough praise whilst he was here but definitely passed his best now.

Oh, I dont know about that praise thing Gok! He was defo appreciated and up there with Morsey and Ryan.
Agreed he's past his best now. We shouldn't be looking at bringing him back. We had the last dregs out of him.

#44 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

The lad Hirst we have been linked with from Wednesday has reportedly been subject to a bid from Leicester

#45 User is offline   twistedspire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Spire Gazette reporting donahue to wigan in a swap for Perkins

#46 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

View Posttwistedspire, on 23 July 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Spire Gazette reporting donahue to wigan in a swap for Perkins

Hope they are wrong.

View Postdanblue, on 22 July 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

Oh, I dont know about that praise thing Gok! He was defo appreciated and up there with Morsey and Ryan.
Agreed he's past his best now. We shouldn't be looking at bringing him back. We had the last dregs out of him.

Still think he has one more decent L2 season in him.
lindave

#47 User is offline   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Perkins for 1 season as that experienced midfielder would do me just fine.

#48 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

Perkins has had a decent career since his loan spell with us playing at Championship\League 1 in the main. 29 appearances in the Championship etc last year suggests he still has something to offer as well. Could be a good option if its happening.

#49 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Strikes me a bit of cutting our nose off to spite our face if we let this deal go through though

The reason Donahue has not developed into a decent play making midfielder is that we've had him stuck at left back (which is where he'll be positioned for the first few months of the season as it stands)

So I personally think we'd be better off looking at bringing in a left wing back as cover to allow us to put Donahue in his preferred position over this swap deal which means we may get a year or two out of an experienced guy.

If we can get someone like Perkins and allow us to keep Donahue I'm all for it but not a swap, Cook knows what he's doing with this one me thinks

This post has been edited by Spireite93: 24 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

#50 User is offline   kenton 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostSpireite93, on 24 July 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Strikes me a bit of cutting our nose off to spite our face if we let this deal go through though

The reason Donahue has not developed into a decent play making midfielder is that we've had him stuck at left back (which is where he'll be positioned for the first few months of the season as it stands)

So I personally think we'd be better off looking at bringing in a left wing back as cover to allow us to put Donahue in his preferred position over this swap deal which means we may get a year or two out of an experienced guy.

If we can get someone like Perkins and allow us to keep Donahue I'm all for it but not a swap, Cook knows what he's doing with this one me thinks

The same thing could happen here as happened with Jon Nolan - manager moves on and comes back for the players he knows. By the way, the Shrews fans I know are raving about Jon Nolan's midfield play making capabilities and can't understand why Chesterfield let him go so easily. We all know the answer to that one.
The only Spireite in the village

#51 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

View Postkenton, on 28 July 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

The same thing could happen here as happened with Jon Nolan - manager moves on and comes back for the players he knows. By the way, the Shrews fans I know are raving about Jon Nolan's midfield play making capabilities and can't understand why Chesterfield let him go so easily. We all know the answer to that one.

In what way does Cook know Donohue? Dion was signed by Saunders after Cook had left.

By the way, I was thinking Nolan looked a decent player last pre-season but gradually decided I was not necessarily right. He proved to have fitness and discipline problems and rarely produced moments of inspiration. Caldwell said at the end of the season Nolan told him he wanted to stay in L1, perhaps a bit more effort from him and a few others would have kept us there, but we signed him for nowt and received money a year later. We move on.

#52 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

It was Paul Mitchell that was tracking Donohue when he was at Sutton Coldfield...Mitchell was telling Cook as was his job. Saunders mearly picked up on Mitchell's advice and asked Donohue in for a trial.

#53 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostDarcy Sarto, on 28 July 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

It was Paul Mitchell that was tracking Donohue when he was at Sutton Coldfield...Mitchell was telling Cook as was his job. Saunders mearly picked up on Mitchell's advice and asked Donohue in for a trial.

Absolutely. A number of us have posted this before, after others had said Saunders had at least least one good signing i.e. Dion.

Saunders merely finished off the job done to date by Cook and Mitch. The Star reported this also when we signed Dion.

This post has been edited by 60s 70s Spireite: 28 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

#54 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostDarcy Sarto, on 28 July 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

Is Mitchell still at bramhall lane?

#55 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

View Postkenton, on 28 July 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

I only saw Nolan for a couple of games pre-season and the same number of games early doors into the season, but he looked a good signing to me. I can't help think he suffered as a young inexperienced player in a squad that was totally devoid of any quality, balance and shape and it dragged him under; plus the injuries didn't help. I don't think he was going to go on and make a world beater, but he should have been one of the better midfielders in league two this year.
#notapennymore

#56 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

I like Dion Donahue.

Signed as a midfielder he found himself at left back because we had no other options, however whilst he'll never feature in a Town top ten in that position he's won deserved plaudits for his honest commitment.

Off the field he's demonstrated an equal honesty alongside a hugely endearing humility, every inch a young man grateful for an opportunity just to play professional football.

His family have every reason to be proud of him.

But is he a genuine wide player?

No.

Has he done enough to be a first choice central player?

I don't think so.

Therefore under different circumstances exchanging him for the kind of proven midfielder we're desperately lacking would make sense.

However the circumstances are his exit would mean us starting yet another campaign with a massive gap in our ranks. The circumstances are CFC - or those running it at least - have a reputation for accepting any offer that comes along (before always blaming the player, of course).

And the circumstances are an already dwindling fanbase couldn't be blamed for thinking their loyalty had once again been abused should that be the case.

We need a genuine left back before allowing 'DD' to leave.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 28 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#57 User is online   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 28 July 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

I like Dion Donahue.

Signed as a midfielder he found himself at left back because we had no other options, however whilst he'll never feature in a Town top ten in that position he's won deserved plaudits for his honest commitment.

Off the field he's demonstrated an equal honesty alongside a hugely endearing humility, every inch a young man grateful for an opportunity just to play professional football.

His family have every reason to be proud of him.

But is he a genuine wide player?

No.

Has he done enough to be a first choice central player?

I don't think so.

Therefore under different circumstances exchanging him for the kind of proven midfielder we're desperately lacking would make sense.

However the circumstances are his exit would mean us starting yet another campaign with a massive gap in our ranks. The circumstances are CFC - or those running it at least - have a reputation for accepting any offer that comes along (before always blaming the player, of course).

And the circumstances are an already dwindling fanbase couldn't be blamed for thinking their loyalty had once again been abused should that be the case.

We need a genuine left back before allowing 'DD' to leave.

Could well have one Chris in Ellis plummer trialling

#58 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 28 July 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

Could well have one Chris in Ellis plummer trialling

That's what I was thinking when he came on v Rotherham. I know less than one game is not much to judge a player on, but he looked a class above what we've got as soon as he came on against IMO a very powerful Rotherham attack. I wouldn't be at all surprised if other clubs took an interest in him, even at L1 level, so I reckon we'll have to move fast and offer him an attractive deal to get him.

#59 User is offline   Albert Holmes Slides In 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

How is it possible to sign ten defenders and not have a fit left back?

How is it possible to sign an entire squad and not have one controlling midfield player?

How is it possible to have 5/6 front players on the books and none of them to have a truly successful goal-scoring record in league football?

How is it possible to have 3/4 keepers on the books and only be able to argue that one of them is currently better than non-league standard (and he's not fully-fit)?

How is it possible to injure more and more of your squad before the season starts so that you are forced to seek out more and more unlikely signings every day?

How is it possible to function as a club, without a proper board, with a meddling absentee owner who says he wants to sell, a meddling CEO, an inability even to ensure a telephone system operates, and the most irritatingly, anodynely uninformative website in history?

How is it possible to demoralise loyal fans before the season even starts?

How is it possible to remain loyal to a manager who conjured two wins out of 19 games and relegation last season and has lost every even-vaguely competitive friendly this time round?

ASK CHESTERFIELD. Don't try any of the modern forms of communication though - they won't work! Twin Town Darmstadt. Why's that? So they can look at us, shake their heads sadly and say it's not rocket science is it?

By the way I like right-footed left backs, but do you? Where I've looked, Ellis Plummer is listed as right-sided or a central defender. And like Binnom-Williams he spends a lot of time out of the game ...... whole seasons.

This post has been edited by Albert Holmes Slides In: 28 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

#60 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

View PostAlbert Holmes Slides In, on 28 July 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

How is it possible to sign ten defenders and not have a fit left back?

How is it possible to sign an entire squad and not have one controlling midfield player?

How is it possible to have 5/6 front players on the books and none of them to have a truly successful goal-scoring record in league football?

How is it possible to have 3/4 keepers on the books and only be able to argue that one of them is currently better than non-league standard (and he's not fully-fit)?

How is it possible to injure more and more of your squad before the season starts so that are forced to seek out more and more unlikely signings every day?

How is it possible to function as a club, without a proper board, with a meddling absentee owner who says he wants to sell, a meddling CEO, an inability even to ensure a telephone system operates, and the most irritatingly, anodynely uninformative website in history?

How is it possible to demoralise loyal fans before the season even starts?

How is it possible to remain loyal to a manager who conjured two wins out of 19 games and relegation last season and has lost every even-vaguely competitive friendly this time round?

ASK CHESTERFIELD. Don't try any of the modern forms of communication though - they won't work! Twin Town Darmstadt. Why's that? So they can look at us, shake their heads sadly and say it's not rocket science is it?

You forgot to mention potential fines / points deductions for playing a ringer and payments to players thro 3rd parties

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users