Liam Cooper

#161 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 29 July 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Club comes first.
Would you like us to relive the administration years?

Football is about bums on seats and a team that loses week in week out doesnt attract crowds dont get me wrong I know we are Chesterfield not Man utd but unless the squad gets some squad depth we are praying no one gets injured last season we looked at the bench and it looked strong that is no longer true. Selling Cooper with such a large sell on is not the best move in my opinion.
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#162 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

I know it's not normal policy, but I really hope we get the bulk upfront as I don't trust Massimo Cellino one bit.

Regardless of what has been said by many I think we need to replace Cooper and add another player to the side out of any deal. Hird will be needed as a fill in for two or three positions and we can't count him solely as a centre back in my view.
#notapennymore

#163 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think most clubs will listen to offers for players with only one year on their contract simply because something is better than nothing. It's interesting that he didn't sign an extension like others over the summer, I can't believe that one wasn't offered so maybe he politely refused? He will be a loss however this will be the reality of how football clubs work, no more and no less.

This post has been edited by harboroughspireite: 29 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

#164 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

surprised how many are happy in principle to see Cooper go

I do not agree that we have an 'embarresment' of riches at CB - we have Hird who will be main cover for Morsy and Ryan and Raglan who is untested

If we sell him, it needs to be for decent money and some of that money must be used for a decent replacement, hopefully Cook has his eyes on another 'Cooper' from a premier league reserve team or something, if the fee is big enough the next priority would be that elusive striker!

Can't blame Cooper for wanting to better himself but if we do sell then the club must get a fair deal that allows replacements to be sourced

And love reading the usual rubbish on here with people thinking they know what players are on, what sell on clauses we have etc etc - we all know very little on that front

#165 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

View Postoohwallerwaller, on 29 July 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

Has Hird not previously played in the championship??

Yes, there's always one mate - and it's the usual suspect !

#166 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 July 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

As pleased as I was with Jimmy last season he isn't going to be attracting cash offers.

Your opinion. I would have him in any team of mine, one of the few players we have had for a few years who actually shows for a ball every time. No hiding place for Jimmy.

#167 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 29 July 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

We should be holding out for a million on Cooper. And maybe it will be leeds if thats his boyhood team and they have just banked £11m

A million for a defender from a recently promoted l2 team..!
East stand second class citizen.

#168 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 29 July 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

I know it's not normal policy, but I really hope we get the bulk upfront as I don't trust Massimo Cellino one bit.

Regardless of what has been said by many I think we need to replace Cooper and add another player to the side out of any deal. Hird will be needed as a fill in for two or three positions and we can't count him solely as a centre back in my view.

Agree if Cooper goes he should be replaced asap (thats with no disrespect to Hird who is a capable deputy) and a striker or two signed

#169 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

View Postdtp, on 29 July 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

I think, like virtually every other team from the premiership down, if another club comes in with an offer which meets the valuation of any player's club and said player is more than interested in the proposed move then that club will normally have no option than to sell. CFC is no different in this respect.

I, personally, like the idea of town producing a conveyor belt system of young players to first team level and then selling them on for good money. I think this could provide a way forward for a lower league club like ours.

There is obviously a price at which we cannot say "no" and we would not want an unhappy player, no matter how good he is, in our changing room. Neither would we want this unhappy player walking away in twelve months time with the fee to be set at a tribunal.

If the money is right and the player wants to go then we will have achieved the best possible result for the club in respect of that particular player.

As far as CB is concerned, whilst I think we will need more cover during the season, I personally would be looking to sign a tall pacy RB first so that Tendayi can move further forward and give us more midfield options. This would give us more height in defence and retain pace as cover along the ground for what could amount to a very slow CB pairing of Evatt & Hird.

If this could be achieved I'd forget Boco and Featherstone as Tendayi could play in any of the five midfield positions but I would like to sign another striker but not on the wages being touted around as what Higdon wants.

Good post.

With regards to Boco & Featherstone..are they better than what we have now??? I don't think so. Boco made a wrong decision not choosing us last season...Cook would have brought him on leaps & bounds.....from what I've seen, he doesn't look any better than Randall (Oooops)

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 July 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

If he does go...can we insert a sell on clause as the selling club?

This post has been edited by Waller is my hero: 29 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

#170 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 July 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

You're laughing at the club, that's where the valuation comes from

#171 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 29 July 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

You're laughing at the club, that's where the valuation comes from

He'll go for less than half that amount...no where near a million.
East stand second class citizen.

#172 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 July 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

I'd love him to bang in two dozen next season and be flogged for a couple of million.

I'd also like to be able to fly and have beer come out the kitchen tap.

But your cup of tea won't taste right.

#173 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 29 July 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Good post.

With regards to Boco & Featherstone..are they better than what we have now??? I don't think so. Boco made a wrong decision not choosing us last season...Cook would have brought him on leaps & bounds.....from what I've seen, he doesn't look any better than Randall (Oooops)

If he does go...can we insert a sell on clause as the selling club?

I cant comment on the pair as I havent watched any of the friendlies but you would think a midfield replacement for Togwell would have been in PC's mind before the "cuts" were announced. And of course a replacement for Richards is still required.

#174 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 July 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

agreed. You can "rate" a player at whatever value you like, but in the end if he wants to go, and leeds offer a decent sum - say 400k, then thats what he will go for.

He is on a decent wage, so we should be able to sign a decent replacement within is salary range, and maybe a striker while using the bulk of the money to reduce debts.

What we need is number savvy CEO to negociate the best possible deal for the club..........
A new hope.

#175 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 July 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

This board really is packed full of experts.
We're on our way

#176 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

View Posta kick in the balls, on 29 July 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Would you be happy with a CB pair of Hird/Evatt in exxchange for(as he is the name) Higdon?

If you guaranteed they would play 46 games together and we signed an "Higdon" then the answer would definitely be, errr, possibly

The trouble is neither of those are likely to happen. And as I said, I think we all have Hird down as covering a number of positions

What is frustrating me is everyone is saying CD is the one position we have great cover for, remove Cooper from that position and..........
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#177 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

View Postazul, on 29 July 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

If you guaranteed they would play 46 games together and we signed an "Higdon" then the answer would definitely be, errr, possibly

The trouble is neither of those are likely to happen. And as I said, I think we all have Hird down as covering a number of positions

What is frustrating me is everyone is saying CD is the one position we have great cover for, remove Cooper from that position and..........

Not really, some are saying we should sign a replacement CB if Cooper leaves

This post has been edited by Spire-Power: 29 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

#178 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 July 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

I wonder if this sell-on clause is just something that's been stated so often it's become fact.

Probably - It was only ever undisclosed. So far we have had 10% 25% and 35% sell on clauses, so take it with a hefty pinch of salt

View Postoohwallerwaller, on 29 July 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

Has Hird not previously played in the championship??

He has, and as a CB - but some folk have vendettas against players and just love to hate.
A new hope.

#179 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

View Postazul, on 29 July 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

It's all relative. Compared with our striking options, we have untold riches at CB.

Just a shame our Chief Exec flagged up the Clothing Down Sale...
We're on our way

#180 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostCartman, on 29 July 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

surprised how many are happy in principle to see Cooper go

I do not agree that we have an 'embarresment' of riches at CB - we have Hird who will be main cover for Morsy and Ryan and Raglan who is untested

If we sell him, it needs to be for decent money and some of that money must be used for a decent replacement, hopefully Cook has his eyes on another 'Cooper' from a premier league reserve team or something, if the fee is big enough the next priority would be that elusive striker!

Can't blame Cooper for wanting to better himself but if we do sell then the club must get a fair deal that allows replacements to be sourced

And love reading the usual rubbish on here with people thinking they know what players are on, what sell on clauses we have etc etc - we all know very little on that front

My god, we agree

Beware, Mr Clairvoyant will be condemning you as a very negative person

View PostSpire-Power, on 29 July 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

Not really, some are saying we should sign a replacement CB if Cooper leaves

That was probably me, but even I see that rather defeats the object
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

Share this topic:

• (26 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic