• You cannot reply to this topic

Higdon

#41 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostGoku, on 05 July 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

So basically never pay players big wages cos a few posters on Bobs Board will criticise your performances for that reason. Sod that, spend the money we need to get the players we need to progress at our football club.

Doesnt matter if you've never heard of him. Look at his strike rate, he would be a great signing and I'm sure he could play the lone striker role very well. He's a big lad with the added bonus of not just being a big lad (like say Parkin). We've missed out hugely if this is true. Can you say "Clayton Donaldson 2011"?

How about a whip round: £50 from me!

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 05 July 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

Donaldson scored only 11 goals in 51 appearances in 11-12. Would his presence have saved our season? He wouldn't have stopped all those goals we conceded that's for sure.

Remember if Lee had been fit we may have scraped through!

View PostElton John 1866, on 05 July 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

How about a whip round: £50 from me!

Remember if Lee had been fit we may have scraped through!

For fs......... if teams like Walsall can stay up then we should be able to put together a strikeforce. This goes on and on....but in Cook I trust!

#42 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostBeelzebub, on 05 July 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

So you're happy with the way that Richards was treated by posters on here and some 'supporters' at matches are you?

It wasn't the player's fault that lies about his wages were spread on here and elsewhere. The 'spin' didn't come from the player or the club but from ill informed guesswork from the ignorentsia on here.

If you burden a player with unrealistic expectations you are blighting their town career and almost begging them to fail.

Your use of the word "ignorentsia" and inverted commas when referring to our supporters speaks volumes.

It was Dave Allen who heralded MR as the twenty goal per season hero who'd secure promotion, and sanctioned a very healthy package to sign him.

Yet our Chairman, Management, and even Richards himself acknowledge it just didn't happen for him at CFC.

But if you think he was in any way bothered by a few criticisms on here or elsewhere, criticisms that all players know come with the job, your opinion of his character is as low as your opinion of Town fans.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#43 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Surely "the one that got away" quite literally, in 2011 was N'Guessan wasn't it?

Yes, we were after Donaldson but as soon as we'd held talks, JS was on record to say he was offered £10k a week at Brentford and we were no where near that. Again, that could be just JS's guess. I'm sure N'Guessan was here, pen in hand (amongst other things) ready to sign and then vanished in to thin air...

#44 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

That is true about N'Guessan
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#45 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 05 July 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Surely "the one that got away" quite literally, in 2011 was N'Guessan wasn't it?

Yes, we were after Donaldson but as soon as we'd held talks, JS was on record to say he was offered £10k a week at Brentford and we were no where near that. Again, that could be just JS's guess. I'm sure N'Guessan was here, pen in hand (amongst other things) ready to sign and then vanished in to thin air...

Isn't he available now?

#46 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 05 July 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Isn't he available now?

Yep, would surely get on with Armand, too.

#47 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 05 July 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

Yep, would surely get on with Armand, too.

why is he going out on loan as well?
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#48 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 05 July 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

How can you say that we were paying double what Rico was worth?

Because I've watched him play long before he signed for us and he's okay, but never anything special; so if the rumoured wage was anything near correct then it was double to his ability.

Rico signed for us having achieved about a goal every three games for Port Vale. Strikers, like him, don't get out of bed for the type of money that you think he's worth. I suspect he's signed for Northampton on similar wages to what he was on up here, so that's another club/manager that's got their valuation wrong.

He'll have got a very good wage that's for sure, though after his time with us I very much doubt that they'd have paid him anywhere near as much as what we did, though this will be cushioned with the three year deal which has to be good thing for the player. I wish him well and hope he hits 20+ goals for them next season and I'll take all the stick I will then receive on here on the chin.

If we're in the market for a £6K a week striker, let's hope he scores more goals than Rico, otherwise some supporters will be left feeling a little embarrassed!

There is never any guarantee (to try to say otherwise is ludicrous). What you do though, is sign a quality player and if you are telling me Rico was quality then sorry, but I trust my judgement of a player more than yours. Decent enough, but nowhere near quality and that's the difference... You don't chuck stupid money on this type of player, you are only asking for trouble when you have only limited funds.

View Postnewboldsteve, on 05 July 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

rico was quality scored 20 plus goals a season before he came to us under a different manager with a different style of play . brought in by js to play in a system that suited him only for js to get the sack 3 games into the season so to say you were proved right that he wasn't quality is rollox it may be right to say he wasn't a quality lone striker but went he was brought in he wouldn't have been on his own up front

Same reply as above rely. We'll see how quality he is next year. He played often enough for us in a 442 and he looked as average as ever. He can't even control a football for a starters, he can't have that much quality.

This post has been edited by Spireite-Karl: 05 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

#notapennymore

#49 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 05 July 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Because I've watched him play long before he signed for us and he's okay, but never anything special; so if the rumoured wage was anything near correct then it was double to his ability.

He'll have got a very good wage that's for sure, though after his time with us I very much doubt that they'd have paid him anywhere near as much as what we did, though this will be cushioned with the three year deal which has to be good thing for the player. I wish him well and hope he hits 20+ goals for them next season and I'll take all the stick I will then receive on here on the chin.

There is never any guarantee (to try to say otherwise is ludicrous). What you do though, is sign a quality player and if you are telling me Rico was quality then sorry, but I trust my judgement of a player more than yours. Decent enough, but nowhere near quality and that's the difference... You don't chuck stupid money on this type of player, you are only asking for trouble when you have only limited funds.

[/b]
Same reply as above rely. We'll see how quality he is next year. He played often enough for us in a 442 and he looked as average as ever. He can't even control a football for a starters, he can't have that much quality.

If he plays every week he will get his 20

#50 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

A player who earns a reported £6k a week fails to agree terms with CFC? WOW who could possibly have foreseen such a thing

#51 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostThe black triangle, on 05 July 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

A player who earns a reported £6k a week fails to agree terms with CFC? WOW who could possibly have foreseen such a thing

I know you are joking, but when we have our debts down this is precisely the wage we will have to be paying to compete with the clubs in this division for quality strikers, if we have any ambition that is. The other way is to keep finding gems that not many know about or players that clubs know about but aren't yet convinced enough to take the risk on, or youngsters that have been released from top clubs wanting another chance lower down the leagues, or foreign recruits that few know about, but all these methods are hard to keep going in the long run, if you can even find the right players to start with. Let's face it we haven't found a striker this way, we could buy a quality one, but we've got to pay. You can't have it both ways :rolleyes:
#notapennymore

#52 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 05 July 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

If he plays every week he will get his 20

Given a normal season a player would be unlikely to play every week; though on the basis of a normal season I don't see him hitting twenty. He certainly needs more hunger to get into goal scoring positions than he showed whilst with us.
#notapennymore

#53 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Higdon wanted 7k per week to sign for CFC. I am sure a club out there will offer want he wants.
Have passport will travel

#54 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 05 July 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Higdon wanted 7k per week to sign for CFC. I am sure a club out there will offer want he wants.

Well he can want it somewhere else. We'll never pay £7k in this league. We could get 3 players for that.
Here we go again!

#55 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

Everyone guessing how much he wants in wages again?
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#56 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

Too much too soon I would have thought. We need our debts down whilst still attracting fans. Six or seven grand a week is pushing the boat out a bit too far at the moment (again I would have thought, from what I've picked up budget wise and from our debts).

This post has been edited by Spireite-Karl: 05 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

#notapennymore

#57 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Where did you hear that? It doesn't surprise me really. If correct with signing on fees, add ons and a likely minimum two year deal it would have been a very big commitment from the club. If they don't think he's worth it then fair enough.

I'd like to think that Cook and Turner won't have had all their eggs in one Higdon shaped basket.

#58 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 05 July 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

Where did you hear that? It doesn't surprise me really. If correct with signing on fees, add ons and a likely minimum two year deal it would have been a very big commitment from the club. If they don't think he's worth it then fair enough.

I'd like to think that Cook and Turner won't have had all their eggs in one Higdon shaped basket.

You are aware of my local source
Have passport will travel

#59 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Ah. That one.

#60 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 05 July 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

It doesn't surprise me either. Isn't it common knowledge that Aberdeen and the two Dundee clubs couldn't match us wage wise for him, so he isn't cheap; but there is a limit to what we can afford whether he's worth it or not. It could well be Higdon and his agent playing the game and thinking right we've got x amount to say we turned down when touting for a contract elsewhere; after all they hold all the aces.
#notapennymore

Share this topic:

• (76 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users