• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will Evans

#21 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

Player of the season a couple of seasons ago, hero for a last minute penalty save as stand in goalie, part of a defence that kept 5 clean sheets, has featured under pretty much every manager we have had since he signed... and suddenly he is a clogger who we are desperate to get rid of. Football fans, fickle with short memories, never...

From the DT piece it suggests Swindon enquired but gone quiet - so maybe they were scared off by what he earns, maybe we wanted a fee, maybe they wanted a loan and us to pay part of the wages..?

If he goes, good luck to the lad, its a step up to League football. If he stays, good luck to the lad in helping us get that step up to the League...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#22 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

Maybe Swindon are after a new keeper. I still cant forget his heroics against Ebbsfleet in the 3-3 draw at the Proact and his legendary performance with the Goalies shirt on. Football Gold .... you couldn't write it.
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#23 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:00 PM

He’s improved a lot under JR but still wouldn’t be suprised or disappointed to see him go. Said on a thread a few days ago he’s on big money, we need to balance the books and he’s the one that least fits into how the new manager wants to play

I’ve no idea on Gunning , he’s been injured a lot and didn’t tear up any trees at Gloucester by all accounts so let’s wait and see on him. Yarney could play in this system I think, and he owes us some good games or he’s being released so might be a good one to come in and prove a point.

#24 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:02 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 24 January 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

Player of the season a couple of seasons ago, hero for a last minute penalty save as stand in goalie, part of a defence that kept 5 clean sheets, has featured under pretty much every manager we have had since he signed... and suddenly he is a clogger who we are desperate to get rid of. Football fans, fickle with short memories, never...

From the DT piece it suggests Swindon enquired but gone quiet - so maybe they were scared off by what he earns, maybe we wanted a fee, maybe they wanted a loan and us to pay part of the wages..?

If he goes, good luck to the lad, its a step up to League football. If he stays, good luck to the lad in helping us get that step up to the League...

You are not normally wrong but you are right this time.

However, I would have thought Sheriden should be aware of the level of Will's pay packet as wasn't he the manager when his contract was extended?

In many respects this could be a move to suit all parties so we will have wait and see if there is anything in it.

#25 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

Unfair comment because you’ve missed out the entirety of last season where he stunk the place out and you’ve missed the start of this season where he was consistently the worst player in the team. People have been pretty consistent with their views on him - many don’t rate him, some such as myself were desperate for him to return to how he was first season. He’s getting there but his distribution is indeed dire and possibly a problem when we try and build from the back.

#26 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

We've got momentum which includes will Evans keep this squad together by all means get rid of stragglers but don't break this up

#27 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

View PostGoku, on 24 January 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

Unfair comment because you’ve missed out the entirety of last season where he stunk the place out and you’ve missed the start of this season where he was consistently the worst player in the team. People have been pretty consistent with their views on him - many don’t rate him, some such as myself were desperate for him to return to how he was first season. He’s getting there but his distribution is indeed dire and possibly a problem when we try and build from the back.

I was being deliberately myopic and only quoting the good bits. I remember going to an away game last season and suggesting he might like to come and sit with me as he was about as good!

But fact remains we have had an upturn in form and he is part of that. If he goes, we may miss him...

View Postdtp, on 24 January 2021 - 12:02 PM, said:

You are not normally wrong but you are right this time.

However, I would have thought Sheriden should be aware of the level of Will's pay packet as wasn't he the manager when his contract was extended?

With Sheridan's level of disinterest in the job at the time, I am sure he has forgotten Evans was part of his squad, let alone his wages!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#28 User is online   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:39 PM

View PostGoku, on 24 January 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

Folk are losing perspective here. He's good at heading it and blocking it but bad at passing it. Maguire is the other way round. I know who I prefer in my team.

That said, this transfer would be mutually beneficial so he would go with a big thanks from me.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#29 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:52 PM

I think the DT knew about this on Wednesday hence Liam's comment about a surprise departure (I heard the rumours around then)I expect the deal may have died a death and the news of the interest now is to tease a fresh bid from Swindon or somewhere else before transfer deadline day.

#30 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

his form over 2 and a half seasons has been patchy, last season he was diabolical, he has shown improvements since JR arrived, would i be sad to see him go? no not really, for me he is playing at his level, i'd be surprised to see a league one club really be serious about taking him but Sheridan does lack in the imagination area of recruitment, usually just goes for what he knows so maybe

#31 User is offline   CrossStreet62 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Retired to my static caravan at the end of the drive.
  • Interests:My Family
    Living one day at a time for as long as I can
    Listening to the music that means so much to me

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

When I saw this I had to blink twice and “surely not” was my comment over my morning coffee”.
Having read into it this must be the surprise one which Liam was aware of as commented on in his release a few days ago. Is there something in this...obviously there must be an interest. The arrival of Gunning is JR’s way of covering the move in case it should happen. Would we be in a weaker position if we lost him ..don’t believe so. It’s a win win for the club financially...has to be a no brainier surely if it materialises.
As is the departure of Letheran plus Buchanan Smith and Boden which would be my guess.
"CFC is in my soul" "It's a way of life" "Keep The Faith" "A Spireite Till I Die"

#32 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:54 PM

View PostCrossStreet62, on 24 January 2021 - 01:40 PM, said:

When I saw this I had to blink twice and “surely not” was my comment over my morning coffee”.
Having read into it this must be the surprise one which Liam was aware of as commented on in his release a few days ago. Is there something in this...obviously there must be an interest. The arrival of Gunning is JR’s way of covering the move in case it should happen. Would we be in a weaker position if we lost him ..don’t believe so. It’s a win win for the club financially...has to be a no brainier surely if it materialises.
As is the departure of Letheran plus Buchanan Smith and Boden which would be my guess.

I don't think so.

Yarney in to play RCB and Carline RWB - job done.

#33 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

Well this would kinda confirm gossip circulating last week.

Letheran, Boden and Evans to go. Three of our higher earners, you'd think.

Better side for less? Who's gonna argue with that...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#34 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:16 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 January 2021 - 02:02 PM, said:

Boden and Evans might be on decent money but I'm not sure Letheran will be.

That said, I suspect we might have got the Ipswich lad (can't spell it and don't know how to pronounce it) for next to nowt and Grant Smith on quite low wages too seeing that he was without a club. So we could be making a bit of a saving in cost anyway.

#35 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:25 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 January 2021 - 02:02 PM, said:

I still believe the surprise departure may be someone else. Posted Image

#36 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:38 PM

View Postspireitenag, on 24 January 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

The only other surprises now would be Hollis/Weston/Denton although Weston's apparent wages.....

I really can't see it being any of Rowe's signings so not counted them
Here we go again!

#37 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

View PostTrigger, on 24 January 2021 - 04:38 PM, said:

The only other surprises now would be Hollis/Weston/Denton although Weston's apparent wages.....

Joe Rowley?

#38 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 24 January 2021 - 04:40 PM, said:

Joe Rowley?

Not untill yesterdays cameo. Any 'suprises' were in the pipeline before then.
Here we go again!

#39 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

View Postspireitenag, on 24 January 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

You’d Think the only player of note with stock worth investment elsewhere is Denton.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 24 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

#40 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

View PostTrigger, on 24 January 2021 - 04:38 PM, said:

Asante would be the most obvious. I can’t believe he hasn’t attracted interest from the EFL before he joined us.

His performances at a higher level would have alerted some desperate league cubs. Don’t think it would happen now, but if he continues his form he’ll be a target in summer if we don’t go up, irrespective of age

This post has been edited by azul: 24 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users