• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Current Squad

#61 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

Perhaps Denton is on his way? He's "out Injured" and misses the game.

#62 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

View Postmonte, on 22 January 2021 - 12:48 PM, said:

He's one of the Covid positive tests and is in isolation until Monday.
East stand second class citizen.

#63 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:27 PM

View Postbucko, on 21 January 2021 - 09:12 PM, said:

The "surprise" one is a head scratcher.

I was thinking Yarney as the surprise one

Bet he's on good money anyhow.

View Postisleaiw1, on 21 January 2021 - 09:43 PM, said:

If it wasnt a headscratcher it probably wouldnt be a surprise!

My money is on Tom, maybe to someone like Harrogate or another L2 team recently promoted from national league. And good luck to him if that is the case....

Really !!! nah...………..
God I hate this league.

#64 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 January 2021 - 08:54 AM, said:

Just thinking on this again, and of course it's conjecture at the moment, but I must admit I'm uneasy at the possible sale of Denton, who apart from his goal return is a stalwart defender at set pieces, for what could only be a few thousand pounds in the current climate for the mass introduction of players who may or may not be a success.
I'm hoping it isn't the sale of Denton that's financing the latest incomings!

He's the main man when the opposing manager does his after match interview, Tom simply by his size needs 2 or 3 defenders to cope with him, that has to be good for our lads and as you say those set piece clearances have been awesome.
God I hate this league.

#65 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:59 PM

[quote name='dtp' timestamp='1611309914' post='1555900']
"h" I've not said Asante or Denton are not very good. They are your words not mine. What I was saying is that they have missed some very good chances in games, as have other players by the way, and even JR has said we have not been clinical enough. But, like Rowley they got into positions to miss those chances and didn't give up because they did.

My comment regarding Dinanga is that in 2 appearances (not full games) he hasn't had one shot at goal if I am correct.

Similarly, Rowley is not a striker, neither is he a right winger like too many managers have tried to play him, he's a 21 year old who did very well as a 17 year old playing in a No10 type role, which is close to his best position. Coming from behind the forwards he made some good runs, like he used to, and carried the ball upfield well. So, for me, in our current set up the comparison should be with Mandeville.

I wouldn't compare McCourt to Whelan either as I think they have different attributes. But, Rowley fitted in quite well with the two of them, I thought v Boston. Whether or not he will progress further remains to be seen but the young Clarke, for instance, who we have on loan is a similar age and made about 3 appearances for Yeovil so far so it ain't to late yet.

I quite agree he's a No 10 type player, if anybody besides those of us of a certain age know what that means, but times have changed. No. 10s in the old days would take the ball from the workhorses behind them and stroke beautiful passes to any of two wingers or two strikers, while the workhorses, known as half-backs, kicked everybody up in the air who tried to interfere. The no.10 nowadays - or the bloke behind the strikers in plain English - is part of the midfield four, five or whatever and has to get involved with the rough stuff going on there, as well as tracking back to help the defence. Rowley would have made a brilliant old style no.10, but I have my doubts if he has the physical resources to be a modern one.
But now the gaffer's realised he exists, let's hope he can live up to that potential we've seen over the years.

This post has been edited by h again: 22 January 2021 - 09:01 PM

#66 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:18 AM

View Posth again, on 22 January 2021 - 08:59 PM, said:

I quite agree he's a No 10 type player, if anybody besides those of us of a certain age know what that means, but times have changed. No. 10s in the old days would take the ball from the workhorses behind them and stroke beautiful passes to any of two wingers or two strikers, while the workhorses, known as half-backs, kicked everybody up in the air who tried to interfere. The no.10 nowadays - or the bloke behind the strikers in plain English - is part of the midfield four, five or whatever and has to get involved with the rough stuff going on there, as well as tracking back to help the defence. Rowley would have made a brilliant old style no.10, but I have my doubts if he has the physical resources to be a modern one.
But now the gaffer's realised he exists, let's hope he can live up to that potential we've seen over the years.

It's not about Mandeville or Rowley for a place, it's about Mandeville or Rowley for Whelan's place.

And Whelan wins the 10 jersey, mostly because of his football brain but also because of the economics.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#67 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

View Postdim view, on 23 January 2021 - 05:18 AM, said:

It's not about Mandeville or Rowley for a place, it's about Mandeville or Rowley for Whelan's place.

And Whelan wins the 10 jersey, mostly because of his football brain but also because of the economics.

And, even that depends how we line up.

Then, tactically, how often have you seen Mandeville replace Whelan when he has come on as a substitute? Against Sutton, yes, Whelan replaced Mandeville but Rowley remained on the pitch for the full 90.

I believe 2 out of the 3 have been in JR's 16 virtually all the time he has been manager.

The economics don't enter into it whilst ever a player is on the payroll and in the squad.

However, there are still 2 Smiths and a Clarke in the equation too.

#68 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

View Postdim view, on 23 January 2021 - 05:18 AM, said:

With the number of games coming up it's about a pool of midfielders, with a slight difference between defensive and attacking, though even that will get blurred I reckon.
The good news is that with Mandeville and Rowley looking better with each game, the pool of midfielders is turning into a lake. I nearly said a swamp, but those days are behind us.

#69 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:34 AM

View Postmonte, on 22 January 2021 - 12:48 PM, said:

The biggest current wage earner is Weston, he might be the surprise exit
God I hate this league.

#70 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:54 AM

View PostDIFH, on 25 January 2021 - 10:34 AM, said:

The biggest current wage earner is Weston, he might be the surprise exit

Groan. Roll on the EFL xfer deadline, midnight next Monday. Or is it quarter past midnight next Monday?
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#71 User is online   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:13 AM

View PostDuckys Moved, on 21 January 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

I would happily drive Mandeville anywhere he wants to go.

would you still drive him out after a brilliant slide rule pass for our winner saturday
'//

#72 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 25 January 2021 - 11:13 AM, said:

would you still drive him out after a brilliant slide rule pass for our winner saturday
'//

I would Warfey.

For all his assist was great on Saturday he hasn't done it anywhere near often enough for us.

#73 User is offline   Surrey Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:22 AM

View Postdim view, on 25 January 2021 - 10:54 AM, said:

Groan. Roll on the EFL xfer deadline, midnight next Monday. Or is it quarter past midnight next Monday?

11pm February 1st...

#74 User is offline   erniemossity 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Beer, town, decent boozers

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

I know a lot has been said about if the season is canned, we are stuck with a load of players we can’t furlough, but I have thought that there may be a plus point to consider too. If the season is postponed for a few weeks, and we restart later, there will inevitably be an extension past the end of May. In which case we specifically will have lots of contracted players past the 31st May (the usual end of contract for NL players), and so may be at an advantage to other teams? Just a thought.......

#75 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

View Posterniemossity, on 25 January 2021 - 04:28 PM, said:

I know a lot has been said about if the season is canned, we are stuck with a load of players we can’t furlough, but I have thought that there may be a plus point to consider too. If the season is postponed for a few weeks, and we restart later, there will inevitably be an extension past the end of May. In which case we specifically will have lots of contracted players past the 31st May (the usual end of contract for NL players), and so may be at an advantage to other teams? Just a thought.......

I dont think postponing it for a few weeks is any cause for concern, some clubs inability to take on any such loan needed to finish the season without restriction-free paying supporters being able to attend is the major issue.

If clubs can't finish the season, it'll be expunged from the record and we'll be left paying at least 11 players full pay (with little to no income) and the rest will be furloughed.

I wonder if the current uncertainty over the continuation of the league is hindering our ability to move players on, too?

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users