• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Current Squad

#41 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:44 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 21 January 2021 - 08:28 PM, said:

I thought Rowe was a fan of Evans after their time together at Aldershot?

He was probably on a fraction of the money.

#42 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:45 PM

View Postdtp, on 21 January 2021 - 08:00 PM, said:

I agree with you, I don't like this idea of playing a goal kick to a CB in front of goal in our own penalty area. If we are going to play it out from the back why not play the first ball wide first?

Regarding this so called killer instinct in front of goal though I feel both Asante and Denton miss far too many chances. We should have killed a few teams off before HT in a number of games but allowed chance after chance go begging. Then, I've yet to see Dinanga have a pop at goal and if you don't get into positions to score then more often than not you won't.

Rowley took up some excellent attacking positions last night, I thought their keeper did very well in the one on one and if that had been Tommy Lee we would have been praising him. The one he put into the side netting he could have done better with but it was a tightish angle with the wind behind but, eh, Asante has missed far easier chances than that never mind Denton. Disappointing for me was that we don't even have a chance, never mind a miss, for Dinanga to talk about. Don't get me wrong I really hope Dinanga cones good because his pace alongside Asante could upset a fair few CB pairings.

Good post.
lindave

#43 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

View Postbucko, on 21 January 2021 - 07:54 PM, said:

From Phil’s report he mentions Letherhan , Taylor and Denton as the 3 suffering from COVID

If I’m correct in the FA Trophy you can name 7 subs yet we named 5 last night.

Not in the squad that I believe to be fit and available

Buchanan,J.Smith,Boden, Butterfield,

Are these 4 about to go out the door?

Phil said "the likes of" Letheran, Taylor & Denton but that does not necessarily mean just those 3 were isolating.

Anyway, you might be right about the possibility of having 7 subs but it seems we named everybody that was available.

I do think that the 4 you mention might be the ones most likely to move out but didn't JR say Letheran was ill, possibly suffering with covid, which if that's the case I wish him well but it might explain the 2 keepers coming in as both Kyle and Coddington are not currently available leaving us with just young Wharton.

Also, hasn't it been suggested that one departure might be a bit of a surprise by Liam of the DT? I don't think any of the 4 mentioned would be a surprise. And, I'm not over sure it would be Evans either as whilst Gunning has been signed the only other cover we have for the back 3 is Yarney and the versatile Carline.

#44 User is online   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:12 PM

View Postdtp, on 21 January 2021 - 09:00 PM, said:

Phil said "the likes of" Letheran, Taylor & Denton but that does not necessarily mean just those 3 were isolating.

Anyway, you might be right about the possibility of having 7 subs but it seems we named everybody that was available.

I do think that the 4 you mention might be the ones most likely to move out but didn't JR say Letheran was ill, possibly suffering with covid, which if that's the case I wish him well but it might explain the 2 keepers coming in as both Kyle and Coddington are not currently available leaving us with just young Wharton.

Also, hasn't it been suggested that one departure might be a bit of a surprise by Liam of the DT? I don't think any of the 4 mentioned would be a surprise. And, I'm not over sure it would be Evans either as whilst Gunning has been signed the only other cover we have for the back 3 is Yarney and the versatile Carline.

The "surprise" one is a head scratcher.

I was thinking Yarney as the surprise one

#45 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

View Postdtp, on 21 January 2021 - 08:00 PM, said:

I agree with you, I don't like this idea of playing a goal kick to a CB in front of goal in our own penalty area. If we are going to play it out from the back why not play the first ball wide first?

Regarding this so called killer instinct in front of goal though I feel both Asante and Denton miss far too many chances. We should have killed a few teams off before HT in a number of games but allowed chance after chance go begging. Then, I've yet to see Dinanga have a pop at goal and if you don't get into positions to score then more often than not you won't.

Rowley took up some excellent attacking positions last night, I thought their keeper did very well in the one on one and if that had been Tommy Lee we would have been praising him. The one he put into the side netting he could have done better with but it was a tightish angle with the wind behind but, eh, Asante has missed far easier chances than that never mind Denton. Disappointing for me was that we don't even have a chance, never mind a miss, for Dinanga to talk about. Don't get me wrong I really hope Dinanga cones good because his pace alongside Asante could upset a fair few CB pairings.

That's easy then - play Rowley as a striker, because when he misses chances there's a very good explanation for it, but when Asante and Denton miss them it's because they're not very good.
I'm as keen as you to see Rowley mature into a great footballer, but let's be realistic. He had his best game for a long time last nigh, got into some excellent positions and lasted the full 90 minutes. I wouldn't even blame him for the sitters he missed because he's not had much football lately and he's not a striker in the first place, but any comparison should be with the likes of Jack Macourt and Tom Whelan - in other words he should have the potential to control the midfield at this level. Despite his obvious skills I don't think he's there yet, but JR is his best hope. If he can't flourish under an attacking regime he's not going to do it anywhere.

#46 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:28 PM

View Postbucko, on 21 January 2021 - 09:12 PM, said:

It appears that Rowe is building a younger squad and if there's to be a surprise departure I would imagine it may be the oldest of our central defenders.

#47 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:28 PM

I get a sense that the management like Tyson because he is a talented player who also works hard and has also looked after himself fitness-wise.

Given Tyson's career, it's unfair to compare other town players regarding footballing talent. There are other comparisons that could be made however. I wouldn't actually be too surprised if a handful of players who may not compare with Tyson other attributes were allowed to depart. One of whom is something of a fan's favourite may also get some cash into the club.

#48 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:43 PM

View Postbucko, on 21 January 2021 - 09:12 PM, said:

If it wasnt a headscratcher it probably wouldnt be a surprise!

My money is on Tom, maybe to someone like Harrogate or another L2 team recently promoted from national league. And good luck to him if that is the case....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#49 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:36 PM

View Postspireitenag, on 21 January 2021 - 09:28 PM, said:

It appears that Rowe is building a younger squad and if there's to be a surprise departure I would imagine it may be the oldest of our central defenders.

That’s a good shout, I wonder if managers in league 2 who know of Chesterfield players will come calling.
Have passport will travel

#50 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:04 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 21 January 2021 - 09:43 PM, said:

My money is on Tom, maybe to someone like Harrogate or another L2 team recently promoted from national league. And good luck to him if that is the case....

Denton and/or Evans would make sense. Plus the more obvious ones mentioned elsewhere.

#51 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:43 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 21 January 2021 - 10:36 PM, said:

That’s a good shout, I wonder if managers in league 2 who know of Chesterfield players will come calling.

maybe returning to his roots

#52 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:01 AM

View Postdtp, on 21 January 2021 - 09:00 PM, said:

However, JR might move to a back 4 once he thinks the squad's ready for it? Like Arteta did at Arsenal. Similar situations. Scoring not the problem,letting too many in was. We've now stopped leaking goals, but, aside of Barnet, have stopped scoring. Need to get balanced.
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#53 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:22 AM

Tom to Harrogate is a great shout. Replaces the ageing Jon Stead, they've taken up the artificial turf and within travelling distance from home.

#54 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:28 AM

View Postmoondog, on 21 January 2021 - 11:43 PM, said:

maybe returning to his roots

Huddersfield?

#55 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:54 AM

Just thinking on this again, and of course it's conjecture at the moment, but I must admit I'm uneasy at the possible sale of Denton, who apart from his goal return is a stalwart defender at set pieces, for what could only be a few thousand pounds in the current climate for the mass introduction of players who may or may not be a success.
I'm hoping it isn't the sale of Denton that's financing the latest incomings!
East stand second class citizen.

#56 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

If Boden is on his way out then it won't be Denton.

It'll be a defender in my opinion, one of the lads OOC in the summer. If I was guessing based on trying to predict how Rowe operates, i'd say Evans is most likely to leave.

#57 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:05 AM

View Posth again, on 21 January 2021 - 09:24 PM, said:

That's easy then - play Rowley as a striker, because when he misses chances there's a very good explanation for it, but when Asante and Denton miss them it's because they're not very good.
I'm as keen as you to see Rowley mature into a great footballer, but let's be realistic. He had his best game for a long time last nigh, got into some excellent positions and lasted the full 90 minutes. I wouldn't even blame him for the sitters he missed because he's not had much football lately and he's not a striker in the first place, but any comparison should be with the likes of Jack Macourt and Tom Whelan - in other words he should have the potential to control the midfield at this level. Despite his obvious skills I don't think he's there yet, but JR is his best hope. If he can't flourish under an attacking regime he's not going to do it anywhere.

"h" I've not said Asante or Denton are not very good. They are your words not mine. What I was saying is that they have missed some very good chances in games, as have other players by the way, and even JR has said we have not been clinical enough. But, like Rowley they got into positions to miss those chances and didn't give up because they did.

My comment regarding Dinanga is that in 2 appearances (not full games) he hasn't had one shot at goal if I am correct.

Similarly, Rowley is not a striker, neither is he a right winger like too many managers have tried to play him, he's a 21 year old who did very well as a 17 year old playing in a No10 type role, which is close to his best position. Coming from behind the forwards he made some good runs, like he used to, and carried the ball upfield well. So, for me, in our current set up the comparison should be with Mandeville.

I wouldn't compare McCourt to Whelan either as I think they have different attributes. But, Rowley fitted in quite well with the two of them, I thought v Boston. Whether or not he will progress further remains to be seen but the young Clarke, for instance, who we have on loan is a similar age and made about 3 appearances for Yeovil so far so it ain't to late yet.

#58 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:29 AM

View PostDerbySpireite57, on 22 January 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

Huddersfield?

Swindon, I'm talking about Evans.

Not only is this the home of his former manager John Sheridan who extended his contract with us, it's also his first club being local to where he's from

#59 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

View Postmoondog, on 22 January 2021 - 10:29 AM, said:

Swindon, I'm talking about Evans.

Not only is this the home of his former manager John Sheridan who extended his contract with us, it's also his first club being local to where he's from
I thought you were referring to Big Tom. LOL.

#60 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

View PostDerbySpireite57, on 22 January 2021 - 12:01 PM, said:

I thought you were referring to Big Tom. LOL.

I know :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users