Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Funding Distribution Debate - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (46 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Funding Distribution Debate ......in todays "Times" nespaper

#221 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:14 PM

So what happens to promotion and relegation to and from the EFL if our league's cancelled?

What if a majority outfits confirm they still wanna compete?

Couldn't the NL be sued for restriction of trade or summat?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#222 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

View Postmoondog, on 23 January 2021 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yes looks like we were late getting the statement out but as we preferred option 1 it's academic.

Typical of this league board to make and then withdraw an option

They are incompetent at every level. Should be embarrassed by their actions this season

#223 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

Decent letter from Toby Perkins to Oliver Dowden as reported by the DT.

Dear Mr Dowden

I have recently been contacted by John Croot, chief executive at Chesterfield Football Club, regarding the financial pressures the club is facing due to the pandemic, and the suggestion that funding to help them cover the January to March period will be provided as a loan rather than a grant.

I am extremely grateful for all the support given to Chesterfield Football Club, and other National Leagues clubs, last year via grant funding. Whilst you will be aware that there was disquiet about the funding methodology used, which remains an unresolved issue, this help has been vital for smaller clubs who rely so heavily on matchday revenue. As I am sure you are aware, matches played behind closed doors also has a knock-on effect on hospitality and sponsorship revenues.

Many clubs made the decision to start the season without fans as they had been reassured that support grants will be made available to compensate for the vital revenues lost from fans not being able to return. The National League is in the unique position of being considered elite so unable to host fans but outside of the EFL so unable to benefit from the EFL scheme. It was precisely this vulnerability that led to the assurance of funds or fans being required before clubs felt confident to start the season.

All the soundings from government were that clubs would have fans in before Christmas. Obviously the pandemic situation has made that impossible, but there is no logic that I can see for funding the league on a different basis during the January lockdown to the September tiers.

Following the announcement that future funding would be in the form of a loan not a grant, they understandably feel misled and let down by the government.

It is possible that if the funding is offered as a loan, not a grant, many clubs will vote to finish the season immediately. This is bad for the fans and the game, but ploughing on with either unsustainable loans or no income will put many clubs at risk of permanent closure, which would be disastrous for communities like mine and be a waste of the grant funding previously provided.

It is also a false economy, because whilst the funding required to finish the season is around £11m, the likely furlough cost to government of all three National League divisions furloughing their staff is likely to be much more. Chesterfield Football Club is vital to my town, in terms of our economy, identity and community projects. I would urge you to reconsider and ensure that future funding is provided as a grant, as previously indicated to the clubs, many of whom have made financial decisions based on this assurance.

#224 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:39 PM

Fair play to Toby
A new hope.

#225 User is offline   hardgums 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

Good letter Mr P

#226 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

Excellent letter.

Probably won’t be read by the wonky nosed, Chesney from Coro in 15yrs look-a-like.

#227 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:25 PM

Bit of poetic licence and politics in this sentence....

Following the announcement that future funding would be in the form of a loan not a grant, they understandably feel misled and let down by the government.

I'd say they should feel let down and misled by the National League Board who let them believe it was all going to be grants without bothering to confirm that with the government before allowing the clubs to believe it.

I'd suggest Mr P is assuming that the govt have changed their view rather than the NL failing to get clarification. And in a world of who can be most incompetent, there can be few who are less competent than the NL board based on round 1 fund allocation.....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#228 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:40 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 25 January 2021 - 05:25 PM, said:

Bit of poetic licence and politics in this sentence....

I'd say they should feel let down and misled by the National League Board who let them believe it was all going to be grants without bothering to confirm that with the government before allowing the clubs to believe it.

I'd suggest Mr P is assuming that the govt have changed their view rather than the NL failing to get clarification. And in a world of who can be most incompetent, there can be few who are less competent than the NL board based on round 1 fund allocation.....

To be fair he has been critical of the league, albeit on the other issue (that went beyond incompetence) this is his tweet when the news broke last week.

A loan will be bankruptcy delayed for many clubs.
@TheVanaramaNL would be in stronger position if they hadn’t made such a mess of original grant distribution but this must be a grant not a loan to support National League clubs like @ChesterfieldFC

https://twitter.com/...5030776834?s=19

#229 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:47 PM

Didn’t the funding come from the National Lottery not the government?

#230 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

View PostQuaker, on 25 January 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

Yes but that’s been spent.
God I hate this league.

#231 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:55 PM

View PostQuaker, on 25 January 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

Yes.

I listened to a podcast yesterday with the chairman of the Northern Premier League Mark Harris. He is of the view the treasury has taken on this issue following concerns over how the National League distributed the Lottery money, supporting Perkins point.

He also said the DCMS is a weak voice within Government, so all the lobbying may be in vain if he's right.

https://www.thenpl.c...uary-24th-65022

#232 User is offline   hardgums 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:17 PM

View Postmoondog, on 25 January 2021 - 06:55 PM, said:

Yes.

I listened to a podcast yesterday with the chairman of the Northern Premier League Mark Harris. He is of the view the treasury has taken on this issue following concerns over how the National League distributed the Lottery money, supporting Perkins point.

He also said the DCMS is a weak voice within Government, so all the lobbying may be in vain if he's right.

https://www.thenpl.c...uary-24th-65022

He is indeed, correct. DCMS couldn't claim to be the most influential voice in Government. The best plan would be to lobby constituency MPs of all political persuasions.

#233 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:51 PM

View Postmoondog, on 25 January 2021 - 06:40 PM, said:

To be fair he has been critical of the league, albeit on the other issue (that went beyond incompetence) this is his tweet when the news broke last week.

A loan will be bankruptcy delayed for many clubs.
@TheVanaramaNL would be in stronger position if they hadn’t made such a mess of original grant distribution but this must be a grant not a loan to support National League clubs like @ChesterfieldFC

https://twitter.com/...5030776834?s=19

Cheers. All for him helping out, he shouldnt make it political by blaming govt incompetence. Stick to facts and make the argument irrefutable as insults generally just lead to entrenchment....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#234 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 25 January 2021 - 08:51 PM, said:

Cheers. All for him helping out, he shouldnt make it political by blaming govt incompetence. Stick to facts and make the argument irrefutable as insults generally just lead to entrenchment....

I agree

#235 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:42 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 January 2021 - 09:35 PM, said:

One thing you can be sure about, like last season the bookies will keep all season bet monies.

They can’t if the season is made void

#236 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:23 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 25 January 2021 - 11:42 PM, said:

They can’t if the season is made void

Why? What happens in that case?

#237 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:44 AM

Do you think that this Government is competent? I thought it was a fair shout from Perkins. I can’t think of any area of governing, including sport, that they have demonstrated competence. Hard to take, I accept, if you were tempted to vote for them, but a fact nevertheless.

#238 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:51 AM

View Postsophocles, on 26 January 2021 - 12:23 AM, said:

Why? What happens in that case?

The bet will be void

#239 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:43 AM

Toby Perkins says nowt and is accused of inaction.

But when he argues the Club's case he's accused of politicising?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#240 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:13 AM

Good letter from Toby but can't help but feel it might all be in vain.

Share this topic:

• (46 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users