Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Unforgiven Match Thread. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Unforgiven Match Thread.

#221 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:28 PM

View Postmonte, on 24 October 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

I'd say he was good for our level. But constantly let them gain yards from throws but called our lot back

Also that penalty was very generous I'd have been furious if it was given against us

The rule for throw-ins seems to be that you must start from roughly where the ball went out, but can have a ten yard run to build up a bit of momentum. Not seen it punished for years now.

#222 User is offline   The Rev. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writer; Football: Boxing: Supporting the Spireites.

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:33 PM

View Postsophocles, on 24 October 2021 - 04:00 PM, said:

I commented on the same thing yesterday - it's almost as if the throw-in rules have been removed from the book. The other one is that there appears to be no obstruction rule these days. Defenders continually block attackers with their bodies in order to let the ball run out for a goal kick, with no intention whatsoever of playing the ball. I haven't seen a free kick given in those situations for years. If anything, refs tend to give a free kick against the attacker for pushing the defender who's blatantly blocking him off, and making absolutely no effort to play the ball.

A good point Soph - I sometimes think I've been out of the game so long that the rules must have changed! Something else which generally goes unpunished is defenders with their arms around attackers at an incoming corner or free kick into the box - and shirt pulling is another one which goes unpunished far too often.

#223 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:36 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 23 October 2021 - 04:38 PM, said:

BTW anyone looked at the League 2 Table tonight, Agent Clough working wonders,

He is the son of the late great Brian Clough. Nothing could possibly go wrong..

#224 User is offline   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:35 AM

I thought the penalty was a bit dubious but having just watched the highlights I think it definitely was a pen.

#225 User is offline   BlueRodneyFern 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:02 AM

View Posttrickytrevsfanclub, on 25 October 2021 - 02:35 AM, said:

I thought the penalty was a bit dubious but having just watched the highlights I think it definitely was a pen.

Having watched it back a few times it was nailed on and they hardly protested either

#226 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:51 AM

It was a soft pen but it was probably a pen, Ashmore going to ground like he did gave Tshimanga the chance to fall over him. Highlights show the big part Rowe played in the second, strong to take the ball from the throw in and then find Tshimanga who then also does well to work the shooting chance. Whats also noticeable from the highlights is King seems to not have much time for Boreham Wood, he's quick to tell Ashmore to go away after the foul for the pen as he's obviously having a pop at Tshimangha then he's having a pop at their fans after one of their goals and then at the end he runs the width of the pitch to have a pop at Evans after the sending off.

#227 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:28 AM

Didn't go but think a game against them is a good hurdle to get over, we've previously struggled in games against them so a big 3 points. Looking forward to Tuesday night - hopefully another big crowd!

#228 User is online   Blue95 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:31 AM

View PostJonB, on 25 October 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

It was a soft pen but it was probably a pen, Ashmore going to ground like he did gave Tshimanga the chance to fall over him. Highlights show the big part Rowe played in the second, strong to take the ball from the throw in and then find Tshimanga who then also does well to work the shooting chance. Whats also noticeable from the highlights is King seems to not have much time for Boreham Wood, he's quick to tell Ashmore to go away after the foul for the pen as he's obviously having a pop at Tshimangha then he's having a pop at their fans after one of their goals and then at the end he runs the width of the pitch to have a pop at Evans after the sending off.

Really like King, comes across as abit of a in your face type, which we’ve lacked for god knows how long.
Who put the ball in the Mansfield net? Super Jackie Lesterrrr

#229 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:40 AM

View PostBlueRodneyFern, on 25 October 2021 - 07:02 AM, said:

Having watched it back a few times it was nailed on and they hardly protested either

I've given up trying to understand what is and what isn't a penalty any more. I generally work on what I would think if the decision was given against us; and if that penalty was given against us, I would have been pretty annoyed.

#230 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:02 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=na_Xdn2wKQs

Highlights. Ashmore goes down but pulls out, Tshimanga is very good at going down and making it look convincing. He throws himself towards Ashmore. It's cleverly won, a lovely bit of cheating, great to see. What's even more hilarious is how slow Ashmore is. He's clearly overweight.

#231 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:08 AM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 25 October 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

I've given up trying to understand what is and what isn't a penalty any more. I generally work on what I would think if the decision was given against us; and if that penalty was given against us, I would have been pretty annoyed.

We've had season after season when we haven't been awarded penalties for blatent offences so perhaps things are at last beginning to even themselves up.

I've not seen the highlights yet but I'm chuffed to bits the penalty was awarded to us.

#232 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:09 AM

View PostGoku, on 25 October 2021 - 09:02 AM, said:

Highlights. Ashmore goes down but pulls out, Tshimanga is very good at going down and making it look convincing. He throws himself towards Ashmore. It's cleverly won, a lovely bit of cheating, great to see. What's even more hilarious is how slow Ashmore is. He's clearly overweight.

He has got an absolutely smashing set of norks

#233 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:24 AM

View PostGoku, on 25 October 2021 - 09:02 AM, said:

As mentioned above Ashmore gives Tshimanga all the opportunity he needs to get the penalty as the ball is running away from goal, you see them given week in week out around the country. A certain Mr Lester was also very good at doing it.

My only concern as the game went on was that the ref would even it up giving them something as often happens.

#234 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:35 AM

View PostJonB, on 25 October 2021 - 09:24 AM, said:

As mentioned above Ashmore gives Tshimanga all the opportunity he needs to get the penalty as the ball is running away from goal, you see them given week in week out around the country. A certain Mr Lester was also very good at doing it.

My only concern as the game went on was that the ref would even it up giving them something as often happens.

In this game, we very rarely allowed the opposition to carry the ball into our area, so we appear to be learning to snuff attacks out further away from our goal. Another welcome improvement was that, when we let them back in at 2-1, on this occasion we didn't keep dropping deeper, and continued to press forward to keep them on the back foot. I think it shows this team can learn from mistakes and keep improving, which is very encouraging for the rest of the season.

#235 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:58 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 24 October 2021 - 01:42 PM, said:

1. He was clearly injured.
2. I can't believe you think there might be a chant like that.

I couldn't believe it either that's why I wanted to check, I'm delighted I was wrong, might also explain why its been accused of us in the past??

I suppose its hard to believe he was injured since he got "injured" last time too, always seems to happen when we have momentum?

#236 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:59 AM

View Postsophocles, on 25 October 2021 - 09:35 AM, said:

In this game, we very rarely allowed the opposition to carry the ball into our area, so we appear to be learning to snuff attacks out further away from our goal. Another welcome improvement was that, when we let them back in at 2-1, on this occasion we didn't keep dropping deeper, and continued to press forward to keep them on the back foot. I think it shows this team can learn from mistakes and keep improving, which is very encouraging for the rest of the season.

I felt we were beginning to drop deeper until Stefan Payne came on and that substitution brought us higher up the pitch.

#237 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:01 AM

View PostJonB, on 25 October 2021 - 09:24 AM, said:

Yes Kabby bought the penalty well. It looks more convincing on the replay. Is Rowe penalty taker now or are they taking it in turns?

#238 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:09 AM

View Postmonte, on 25 October 2021 - 10:01 AM, said:

Yes Kabby bought the penalty well. It looks more convincing on the replay. Is Rowe penalty taker now or are they taking it in turns?

Looks like they've swapped the previous agreement and it's now the more sensible method of 'if Rowe is on the pitch, he takes them'.

On a different note, that Mandeville shot would've been gorgeous if it had dipped just a bit more.

#239 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:45 AM

View PostGoku, on 25 October 2021 - 10:09 AM, said:

Looks like they've swapped the previous agreement and it's now the more sensible method of 'if Rowe is on the pitch, he takes them'.

On a different note, that Mandeville shot would've been gorgeous if it had dipped just a bit more.

Agreed that was a cracker!

Rowe's shot in the second half got me up for a bit too granted not nearly as close as Mandevilles

#240 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:48 AM

View Postmonte, on 25 October 2021 - 10:45 AM, said:

Agreed that was a cracker!

Rowe's shot in the second half got me up for a bit too granted not nearly as close as Mandevilles

Maguire had one just after Rowe as well that looked close although i was in the West Stand rather than behind the goal so unsure if was as close as it looked.

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users