• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newcastle United

#21 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:55 AM

Public beheadings, public floggings and canings of men and women. What more can one say? Slavery in Qatar. Governments can bring about enlightenment. Newcastle Utd won't. 

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 08 October 2021 - 09:02 AM

#22 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:56 AM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 08 October 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

Filthy regime that should really have no place in English football

Maybe Mike Ashley could buy out the Trust

What about DA?

#23 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on 08 October 2021 - 08:55 AM, said:

Public beheadings, public floggings and canings of men and women. What more can one say? Slavery in Qatar. Governments can bring about enlightenment. Newcastle Utd won't. 

It would be good if this actually leads to more of a light being shone upon what goes on in countries like Saudi.
These go to eleven.

#24 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:52 PM

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Remembering Town have a new ground and honours in the cabinet thanks to gambling wealth.

Whilst we were all desperate to replace Carson and Co with Chinese investors.

That's nowt to the mouth gapingly ga-ga hypocrisy of some in the media, though.

Not only does the UK racing fraternity embrace Saudi royals with gushing sycophancy, but Lizzy Windsor has a personal relationship with 'em. Worse still the British government sells them billions upon billions of quid's worth arms, arms currently being used to kill and maim innocent civilians in the Yemen.

However the very same commentators who endorse, perhaps even celebrate all that are now turning up their noses 'cos a football club - the sport of the working rather than upper class - are Saudi backed.

Many of the 'seven eleven' terrorists were Saudi. The Saudi establishment back the Taliban. They in many ways mirror their medieval doctrines. They see women as third, let alone second class citizens, inflict horrific penalties on anyone breaking their Sharia laws, homosexuality is banned for fear of death and anyone challenging this is persecuted, imprisoned and even murdered. The civilsed world should be treating them as we treat aparthied South Africa.

Sadly they're more interested in grabbing their oil money...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#25 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 08 October 2021 - 03:45 PM

As a north east lad meself i have thought newcastle fans needed to see what was going on more outside the top flight then they would have realised whilst mike ashley was not the best owner he was by far the worst. Look at the cowboys who had leeds and portsmouth, steve dale bury, macclesfield et all. If ashley was as bad as some geordies say the club would not have been bought by such wealthy folk for whats been a smooth transaction, he left no debt. As for bruce, he has done no worse than raffa yet the geordies have had it in for him since day one. Yeah maybe his times up now but they were not going to get much better under ashley to be manager with his bizare transfer policy. Lets hope the club work with gateshead to help them, loan players, full team friendlies etc, ashley never helped them apart from a few more on the gate due to him peeing toon fans off

This post has been edited by Holmesc1: 08 October 2021 - 03:45 PM

#26 User is offline   Hoare (400) 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:23 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 07 October 2021 - 05:18 PM, said:

Any manager not performing for them will be worried if invited to Saudi for a meeting.
I wonder where Mike Ashley will end up if he wants to get back into football

Word going round, and its up to the people whether they believe it or not is, Ashley wanted rid of Newcastle asap this time as he has his sights set on Buying Derby.

Hoare (400)

#27 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:10 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 07 October 2021 - 07:28 PM, said:

I’m not a fan of arms sales either, strangely enough.
I used to love football but it amazes me how people (eg Newcastle fans) are willing to turn a blind eye to what happens in Saudi so long as they find some new signings. Priorities are all over the place.

Its a disgusting episode.
One of the worst aspects has been the Newcastle Chronicles response; wild celebrations, desperate attempts at both acknowledging Amnesty's criticism while still hanging onto the gravy train, combing through Amnesty's statement for a word here and there that can be used to excuse their readership - sorry, The Fans- for not giving a Sh/t.

After all, these despots murdered a colleague, a fellow journalist, but all we get is 'wheeeyyyyy the Geordie nation oot on the lash / come back Shearer etc etc.'

I used to live up there, it was a great place even in hard times. Its economy seems to run on hedonism these days; maybe if you tell people for long enough that all that matters is that the party doesnt stop, they stop caring about who's party it is. I dunno. We know the Premier league is an amoral muckheap, no surprises there; but its sad to see Newcastle lose a bit of its soul as the result of the PL never having one.

This post has been edited by bifocart: 08 October 2021 - 07:16 PM

#28 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:11 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 08 October 2021 - 02:52 PM, said:

Many of the 'seven eleven' terrorists were Saudi. The Saudi establishment back the Taliban. They in many ways mirror their medieval doctrines. They see women as third, let alone second class citizens, inflict horrific penalties on anyone breaking their Sharia laws, homosexuality is banned for fear of death and anyone challenging this is persecuted, imprisoned and even murdered. The civilsed world should be treating them as we treat aparthied South Africa.

Absolutely spot on.
A new hope.

#29 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2021 - 04:44 PM

Hope they have managed to save the Newcastle supporter, play was suspended for a good while, so that they could perform cpr on him/her...
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#30 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2021 - 04:54 PM

Reports that he’s been stabilised and taken to hospital.

#31 User is offline   Geordieblue 

• Journeyman & score prediction double champion
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:01 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 07 October 2021 - 04:35 PM, said:

Bought out by an 80% (i believe)backed Saudi buyout, I'm sure their human rights record is fine with the Premier league fit snd proper ...

What did make me laff tho, was the chairman of their supporters Trust on the BBC breakfast show, trying to tell everybody about how their club has been run into the ground, and it will be good for the fans to get it back...

What!! Run into the ground.. lower/midtable premier league, try putting up with what we've endured or the likes of Macclesfield/bury/Southend atm, or any number of ex league clubs in the non league set up...

He doesn't know how lucky he is.

Well that is until he gets caught nicking a sandwich off the buffet, and they chop his hands off... ��

My thoughts exactly. I've got toon friends whining about how they have had it tough footballing wise. Obviously I put them straight with a true horror story but they don't care. Premiership snobbery runs deep, as does my lack of interest in the Premiership.
Geordies, soft lads the lot of them :lol:

This post has been edited by Geordieblue: 17 October 2021 - 05:05 PM

gaudete
Rejoice

#32 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:23 AM

View Postbifocart, on 08 October 2021 - 07:10 PM, said:

Its a disgusting episode.
One of the worst aspects has been the Newcastle Chronicles response; wild celebrations, desperate attempts at both acknowledging Amnesty's criticism while still hanging onto the gravy train, combing through Amnesty's statement for a word here and there that can be used to excuse their readership - sorry, The Fans- for not giving a Sh/t.

After all, these despots murdered a colleague, a fellow journalist, but all we get is 'wheeeyyyyy the Geordie nation oot on the lash / come back Shearer etc etc.'

I used to live up there, it was a great place even in hard times. Its economy seems to run on hedonism these days; maybe if you tell people for long enough that all that matters is that the party doesnt stop, they stop caring about who's party it is. I dunno. We know the Premier league is an amoral muckheap, no surprises there; but its sad to see Newcastle lose a bit of its soul as the result of the PL never having one.

That papers a disgrace although they will be bored now they cant stir the crap with newcastles ownership now ashley has gone

#33 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 02:20 PM

Superb from Palace fans:
https://www.theguard...ive-worked-with
Good to see sportwashing backfiring.
Would be great to see similar at Man City matches re UAE and PSG matches re Qatar.
These go to eleven.

#34 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 October 2021 - 02:25 PM

Astonishingly I read that the police were looking into that banner. Mind boggling stuff.

#35 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 02:36 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 24 October 2021 - 02:25 PM, said:

Astonishingly I read that the police were looking into that banner. Mind boggling stuff.

Complaints of racism, apparently. Great that that gives it further publicity. Not sure I see racism if whoever made the banner just claims it’s a representation of the Saudi rulers who promote such policies (rather than racial profiling) but I’m no legal expert and realise elements of the Saudi aristocracy are in bed with them.
These go to eleven.

#36 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on 08 October 2021 - 08:55 AM, said:

Thought the Palace fans did well yesterday.

Big Football's capacity for providing short-term distractions with the promise of trickledown benefits makes it irresistable to desperate governments; football learned from and modified the olympic model, whereby for the duration of a tournament a shadow state occupies the host nation, exempt from tax laws, ripping up infrastructure and leaving its useless carcass stadia behind.

In Qatar Big Football is now integral to what passes for nation-building.

In Newcastle, the model is smaller and pettier; the traditional sportwashing of bloodstained hands on the club shirt. I can kind of see why the Bone Saw boys descended on Newcastle; huge support, no success, a despised owner, and a local economy predicated on the endless party, regardless of who is paying for it. But to be fair to the, er, Geordie Nation, its increasingly hard to imagine any Premiership business saying no to this kind of take over. There may be pockets of support that would protest, as we saw at Selhurst, but far too many are willing to turn a blind eye to murder and dismemberment in return for that nice fuzzy feeling on a saturday night.

And for a government to bring enlightment, as FG suggests it can, it has to be enlightened in the first place, and not be a bunch of chancers driven by venal desperation like ours.

So, all we have is personal responsibility; any interviewee for the NUFC job should ask themselves how they feel about chemical castration and murder, rather than woffle on about sleeping giants etc...and the fans should ask themselves the same question.
If they're fine with it, ok. but they can never get righteous about anything else the likes of Bin Salman gets up to when he thinks no one is looking.

So, we can expect more of this crap.
I called the Football Supporters Association, they suggest anyone who'd would personally like to lobby against the takeover, the Premier League and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport would be the most relevant organisations to contact.

I know. But its all we've got, that and our refusal.

This post has been edited by bifocart: 25 October 2021 - 11:19 AM

#37 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 01:11 PM

The Newcastle fans and the the football media will want to talk about football. It is important that decent people keep on talking about the human rights issue so well done those folk who held up the banner. Football has sold its soul to politics and now it will face the price. It's easy to see why when there is so much filthy lucre up for grabs.

#38 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 October 2021 - 01:25 PM

View Postbifocart, on 25 October 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

Thought the Palace fans did well yesterday.

Big Football's capacity for providing short-term distractions with the promise of trickledown benefits makes it irresistable to desperate governments; football learned from and modified the olympic model, whereby for the duration of a tournament a shadow state occupies the host nation, exempt from tax laws, ripping up infrastructure and leaving its useless carcass stadia behind.

In Qatar Big Football is now integral to what passes for nation-building.

In Newcastle, the model is smaller and pettier; the traditional sportwashing of bloodstained hands on the club shirt. I can kind of see why the Bone Saw boys descended on Newcastle; huge support, no success, a despised owner, and a local economy predicated on the endless party, regardless of who is paying for it. But to be fair to the, er, Geordie Nation, its increasingly hard to imagine any Premiership business saying no to this kind of take over. There may be pockets of support that would protest, as we saw at Selhurst, but far too many are willing to turn a blind eye to murder and dismemberment in return for that nice fuzzy feeling on a saturday night.

And for a government to bring enlightment, as FG suggests it can, it has to be enlightened in the first place, and not be a bunch of chancers driven by venal desperation like ours.

So, all we have is personal responsibility; any interviewee for the NUFC job should ask themselves how they feel about chemical castration and murder, rather than woffle on about sleeping giants etc...and the fans should ask themselves the same question.
If they're fine with it, ok. but they can never get righteous about anything else the likes of Bin Salman gets up to when he thinks no one is looking.

So, we can expect more of this crap.
I called the Football Supporters Association, they suggest anyone who'd would personally like to lobby against the takeover, the Premier League and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport would be the most relevant organisations to contact.

I know. But its all we've got, that and our refusal.

Great- so let’s lobby. Where do we start? Online petition?
These go to eleven.

#39 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:30 PM

I have my views, they differ from yours. I believe politics and sport shouldn't mix. But this is such an emotionally driven subject that if I posted something that somebody emotionally reads incorrectly, then it can get very personal and very ugly very quickly.
I respect everybody's opinion, I might not always understand it but always respect it and I get the distinct feeling that not everybody is capable of doing that.
I have entered a debate on the manager thread asking questions, if anybody wants to answer them then fine but I will state now that I won't be entering any debate on this subject from here on.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#40 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:57 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 25 October 2021 - 01:25 PM, said:

Great- so let’s lobby. Where do we start? Online petition?

Online petitions are a bit pish really.
Id just take the FSA advice and lobby directly.
There's a greater obligation to whoever you contact to respond.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users