Fairy Tales.

#21 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 02 May 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

It's brilliant!! Well done Leicester City...the best thing to ever happen to domestic world football

A class above Spurs IMHO. Some horrible acts by their players tonight. Nine booked and should have had at least four sent off. Makes the Leicester title all the more enjoyable. The Foxes have had their discipline problems in recent games but cards and dismissals have been for football issues. Spurs tonight bordered on thuggery.

#22 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

View Postplannerj, on 02 May 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

A class above Spurs IMHO. Some horrible acts by their players tonight. Nine booked and should have had at least four sent off. Makes the Leicester title all the more enjoyable. The Foxes have had their discipline problems in recent games but cards and dismissals have been for football issues. Spurs tonight bordered on thuggery.

Very true -- could have been Argentina playing !

#23 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:44 AM

View PostExharboroughspireite, on 02 May 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

Astonishing. And a big f you to all the fat cats who have made football full of overpriced, overpaid muppets.

You do know Leicester are owned by an extremely wealthy individual don't you?

Not dismissing their achievement at all but similar to Bournemouth to imply it's all been done with no money and good honest players on small wages is just incorrect

#24 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostCartman, on 03 May 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

You do know Leicester are owned by an extremely wealthy individual don't you?

Not dismissing their achievement at all but similar to Bournemouth to imply it's all been done with no money and good honest players on small wages is just incorrect

Patronising prat. If you need me to explain why this is a sporting achievement of the highest odds then I suggest you give up sport altogether.

#25 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostExharboroughspireite, on 03 May 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

Patronising prat. If you need me to explain why this is a sporting achievement of the highest odds then I suggest you give up sport altogether.

no explanation needed, if you could read properly you'd have seen I put that I wasn't dismissing their achievement at all - I'd also suggest you check the meaning of the word patronising - I wasn't patronising you, I was informing you!

however, I'd suggest calling it a big f#ck you to fat cats and overpaid players is pretty idiotic when Leicester are owned by a Thai Billionaire and their players earn very good money!

exactly the same as people calling Bournemouth's success a fairy tale story of a small club doing well against all odds when they have also been bankrolled by massive foreign investment

Now, Leicester winning the title is excellent, but to say they have done it on a shoe string is simply incorrect - and some of the conspiracy theories about Sky not wanting them to win it are simply ridiculous!

#26 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

Sky will be absolutely delighted they've won it. It's sparked interest all over the World in the Premier League and it's so different to the usual two or three winning it. Sky will love it and milk it for all its worth
East stand second class citizen.

#27 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostCartman, on 03 May 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

no explanation needed, if you could read properly you'd have seen I put that I wasn't dismissing their achievement at all - I'd also suggest you check the meaning of the word patronising - I wasn't patronising you, I was informing you!

however, I'd suggest calling it a big f#ck you to fat cats and overpaid players is pretty idiotic when Leicester are owned by a Thai Billionaire and their players earn very good money!

exactly the same as people calling Bournemouth's success a fairy tale story of a small club doing well against all odds when they have also been bankrolled by massive foreign investment

Now, Leicester winning the title is excellent, but to say they have done it on a shoe string is simply incorrect - and some of the conspiracy theories about Sky not wanting them to win it are simply ridiculous!

No matter how wealthy the owner is, they have done it on a shoestring compared to the big six. Yes, not compared to Chesterfield, but to the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea, they have done it on petty cash.

Truly a miracle.

#28 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 03 May 2016 - 06:04 AM, said:

Sky will be absolutely delighted they've won it. It's sparked interest all over the World in the Premier League and it's so different to the usual two or three winning it. Sky will love it and milk it for all its worth

agreed

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 03 May 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

No matter how wealthy the owner is, they have done it on a shoestring compared to the big six. Yes, not compared to Chesterfield, but to the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea, they have done it on petty cash.

Truly a miracle.

Leicester have invested plenty in their side, you are correct to say not as much as the likes of Chelsea/City/United but certainly not a shoe string and they'd be in the next tier of spending after the 'big' boys

Great achievement and good for English football, but definitely not a f#ck you to fat cats as they are run by one!

One thing it does show is that after Pompey Milan Mandaric has been very good at finding owners for clubs he's been involved in, Leicester and Deedar Stupidname now in the hands of foreign owners who are not afraid of investing to improve their clubs

This post has been edited by Cartman: 03 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

#29 User is offline   ash_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tits!

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:32 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 03 May 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

Truly a miracle.

I'd hardly call Vardy dragging £100k a week petty cash fella. I'm with Cartman on this.. A truly exceptional achievement, but it's far from a shoestring. Lots of theories about the owner being involved in dodgy inside sponsorship methods etc.
@ash_cfc89 - Against Modern Football

#30 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

View Postash_cfc, on 03 May 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

I'd hardly call Vardy dragging £100k a week petty cash fella. I'm with Cartman on this.. A truly exceptional achievement, but it's far from a shoestring. Lots of theories about the owner being involved in dodgy inside sponsorship methods etc.

Their squad cost £21,000,000.. Put that against the vast majority of the PL and it shows how great an achievement this is, btw Vardy wasn't on 100k until very recently.
East stand second class citizen.

#31 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:46 AM

Get a cheeky bet on Leicester winning the Europa League next season......have a ball in group stages of champions league..get knocked out...join Europa league & win it

I'm having a fiver

Get a cheeky bet on Leicester winning the Europa League next season......have a ball in group stages of champions league..get knocked out...join Europa league & win it

I'm having a fiver

Could they emulate the great Forest team in the day!!??

#32 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

A massive well done to Leicester City on winning the Premier league and to Burnley and Shaun Dyche

This post has been edited by Rodney's Moustache: 03 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

#33 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

View Postash_cfc, on 03 May 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

I said petty cash v the likes of the big six old fella.
Per official figures, Leicester had the bottom wages bill in the 14-15 season of all the Premier League clubs that retained their status. Hence odds of 5000-1, as every season so far of the Premier League, the title has been won by one of the four or five highest spenders

This post has been edited by 60s 70s Spireite: 03 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

#34 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

EVERY Premiership side pays big wages. Even West Brom and Palace will have a few on 40k a week. Bournemouth will pay 30k a week for a couple of their players. As stated elsewhere, Vardy has only started earning mega wages since he has elevated himself to Englands premier striker (alongside Kane). Do you think they should still pay him 10k a week having gained Champions League football and would he stay if so? Remember, this is essentially the same Leicester side that were rock bottom last January, with both Mahrez and Vardy struggling to make an impact.

Sometimes I think Cartman just wants to be contrary for the sake of it. We have just witnessed a miracle which will probably not happen again in our lifetimes.

#35 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

Leicester are still under investigation by the Football League for potentially breaking FPP rules when they won the Championship.

http://www.theguardi...y-investigation

edit: and Bournemouth have today been fined for breaking the same rules when they won the championship.

http://www.bbc.com/s...otball/36189779

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 03 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

#36 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

I would like to see the stats on how many times Leicester have started with their " usual " back four ...all told they have been very fortunate with injuries this season , generally

I believe last night Martin Tyler mentioned the Back four Chelsea had last night started about 26 of the league games in last year's Champion winning season ...and that last night was only the 5th ? time this season a big factor I reckon .... Maybe( part of ) Leicester's success is down to such a settled Base? Maybe I am just talking bow locks

Forest very similar in 1978
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#37 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 03 May 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

I would like to see the stats on how many times Leicester have started with their " usual " back four ...all told they have been very fortunate with injuries this season , generally

I believe last night Martin Tyler mentioned the Back four Chelsea had last night started about 26 of the league games in last year's Champion winning season ...and that last night was only the 5th ? time this season a big factor I reckon .... Maybe( part of ) Leicester's success is down to such a settled Base? Maybe I am just talking bow locks

Forest very similar in 1978

That's part of the miracle perhaps?
Although I heard on Radio Five live the other day, their local reporter saying their lack of soft tissue injuries is down to the science and art of the back room staff- even down to testing the training pitch before allowing players out on it.

#38 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

To put in perspective:-

ManUtd have spent more money on transfers in last 2seasons than Leicester City have EVER spent in their history

#39 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 03 May 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Leicester are still under investigation by the Football League for potentially breaking FPP rules when they won the Championship.

http://www.theguardi...y-investigation

Along similar lines Bournemouth have apparently paid a fine just shy of £8m for breaking FFP rules wracking up losses of just shy of £40m getting promoted!

Stuff about how Leicester played the FFP rules here - http://www.theguardi...y-investigation

Apparently they initially sold sponsorship for the shirt and stadium for £5.4m to King Power owned by the club owner...they then did a deal to sell the same rights to the same company still owned by the same bloke that owns the club for three times that by doing it via a third party!

#40 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

View Postbrianclose, on 03 May 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

EVERY Premiership side pays big wages. Even West Brom and Palace will have a few on 40k a week. Bournemouth will pay 30k a week for a couple of their players. As stated elsewhere, Vardy has only started earning mega wages since he has elevated himself to Englands premier striker (alongside Kane). Do you think they should still pay him 10k a week having gained Champions League football and would he stay if so? Remember, this is essentially the same Leicester side that were rock bottom last January, with both Mahrez and Vardy struggling to make an impact.

Sometimes I think Cartman just wants to be contrary for the sake of it. We have just witnessed a miracle which will probably not happen again in our lifetimes.

not being contrary, just pointing out that Leicester are backed by a very wealthy man and have spent money to get where they are

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 03 May 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

That's part of the miracle perhaps?
Although I heard on Radio Five live the other day, their local reporter saying their lack of soft tissue injuries is down to the science and art of the back room staff- even down to testing the training pitch before allowing players out on it.

On that, I have read various claims that their lack of injuries could be down to more underhand tactics - probably nonsense but who knows

I think many factors have come together to create a perfect storm allowing an unfancied team to win - right investment over a few years, luck with injuries and some beneficial decisions, as well as bigger clubs having poor seasons

And it isn't unprecedented in the modern era, same as Wolfsberg winning the Bundesliga

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users