Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Aaaaand Breath... - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aaaaand Breath...

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

It's been a truly lousy season.

The fire sale of anyone worth a bob or two, Saunders, a budget blown on iffy signings, injuries, embarrassing performances, debts continuing to rise inexplicably, critical reports in the national media, visits from film crew accompanied bailiffs, Turner and Sutcliffe...

A recipe for relegation if ever there was one.

However amidst all this chaos a certain Mr D Wilson arrived, kept a calm head and guided us to safety.

Yeah some games left us begging for a shot on goal whilst points dropped to relegation rivals were like kicks in the knackers (ladies choose your own metaphor) - but then who can argue with the job eventually done? Who can complain at fist-punching wins at the likes of Gillingham, Southend and Barnsley? Who can deny he's dragged 'The Powers That Be' out of a huge hole of their own digging?

Especially when we remember the mess and mistakes he inherited whilst losing players at regular intervals.

The turning point?

Let me take you back to a cold Tuesday night in February when ten man Town were a goal down to a Colchester outfit who'd not won since God were a lad. It seemed like everything that could go wrong was going wrong, an almost tangible inevitability to our demise, however out of the blue U's defender Richard Brindley felled Lee Novak as he was actually exiting the area leaving the ref no choice but to award us a penno. Novak converted to level things whilst our depleted side found new purpose and hung on for a desperately needed draw.

Since then it's been a steady, albeit stumbling journey towards a survival few would have predicted prior to dastardly Dick hacking at 'super' Lee's ankles.

Yesterday?

We turned up, Bury didn't; simple as that. Infact if ever a side played in flip-flops it was them. That's not to detract from our lads' effort, mind, as they did exactly what they had to do. Kinda ironic that a Dan Gardner wearing a Bury shirt this time last week scored the goal that clinched the result, too. Arriyibi had one of those games that'll no doubt have the CEO touting his name before insisting '...but he's going nowhere!', O'Shea tormented, Banks continued the improvement that's come with time on the pitch and on the ball (and winning, oooh, I dunno - at least three headers!), Liddle looked like a new signing whilst Hird...well, the man just oozes class and it'll be a criminal miscarriage of justice if he's not POTY by some distance.

No dramas, no nervous nail-biting, no need for Hurst-esque euphoria, just League One football secured with a game to spare. Who thought we'd be saying that six months ago.

Perhaps the final word should go to a visitor to our forum who seems to've gone strangely absent over recent times - 'Wooly'. Y'see back in those dark days of doubt some nondescript nobodies from North Notts were enjoying remarkable success by their lowly standards, giddy heights that left their tiny band of followers fantasising about something not witnessed in a generation or more. Unable to help himself our friend 'Wooly' giggled like a kid at Christmas before declaring 'Remember we've been down and had our bad times but we're on the way up. Now it's your turn. Starting with certain relegation this season and from there administration. PS Crewe will batter you Saturday. Going down going down going down. :lol: :lol: :lol:'.

Oh dear. If there's one thing guaranteed to stir the Gods of Football into action it's a Staglet yet again predicting their little club somehow eclipsing us. Indeed maybe we should offer all those doing so a big vote of thanks - cheers boys and girls; we couldn't have done it without you.

And hey - if Donny go down who'll your chairman be cheering for when you play them; the Club he's spent decades sponsoring and supporting...or Mansfield Town?

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 01 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 01 May 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

The fire sale of anyone worth a bob or two, Saunders, a budget blown on iffy signings, injuries, embarrassing performances, debts continuing to rise inexplicably, critical reports in the national media, visits from film crew accompanied bailiffs, Turner and Sutcliffe...

However amidst all this chaos a certain Mr D Wilson arrived, kept a calm head and guided us to safety.

Yeah some games left us begging for a shot on goal whilst points dropped to relegation rivals were like kicks in the knackers (ladies choose your own metaphor) - but then who can argue with the job eventually done? Who can complain at fist-punching wins at the likes of Gillingham, Southend and Barnsley? Who can deny he's dragged 'The Powers That Be' out of a huge hole of their own digging?

Especially when we remember the mess and mistakes he inherited whilst losing players at regular intervals.

The turning point?

Let me take you back to a cold Tuesday night in February when ten man Town were a goal down to a Colchester outfit who'd not won since God were a lad. It seemed like everything that could go wrong was going wrong, an almost tangible inevitability to our demise, however out of the blue U's defender Richard Brindley felled Lee Novak as he was actually exiting the area leaving the ref no choice but to award us a penno. Novak converted to level things whilst our depleted side found new purpose and hung on for a desperately needed draw.

Since then it's been a steady, albeit stumbling journey towards a survival few would have predicted prior to dastardly Dick hacking at 'super' Lee's ankles.

Yesterday?

We turned up, Bury didn't; simple as that. Infact if ever a side played in flip-flops it was them. That's not to detract from our lads' effort, mind, as they did exactly what they had to do. Kinda ironic that a Dan Gardner wearing a Bury shirt this time last week scored the goal that clinched the result, too. Arriyibi had one of those games that'll no doubt have the CEO touting his name before insisting '...but he's going nowhere!', O'Shea tormented, Banks continued the improvement that's come with time on the pitch and on the ball (and winning, oooh, I dunno - at least three headers!), Liddle looked like a new signing whilst Hird...well, the man just oozes class and it'll be a criminal miscarriage of justice if he's not POTY by some distance.

No dramas, no nervous nail-biting, no need for Hurst-esque euphoria, just League One football secured with a game to spare. Who thought we'd be saying that six months ago.

Perhaps the final word should go to a visitor to our forum who seems to've gone strangely absent over recent times - 'Wooly'. Y'see back in those dark days of doubt some nondescript nobodies from North Notts were enjoying remarkable success by their lowly standards, giddy heights that left their tiny band of followers fantasising about something not witnessed in a generation or more. Unable to help himself our friend 'Wooly' giggled like a kid at Christmas before declaring 'Remember we've been down and had our bad times but we're on the way up. Now it's your turn. Starting with certain relegation this season and from there administration. PS Crewe will batter you Saturday. Going down going down going down. :lol: :lol: :lol:'.

Oh dear. If there's one thing guaranteed to stir the Gods of Football into action it's a Staglet yet again predicting their little club somehow eclipsing us. Indeed maybe we should offer all those doing so a big vote of thanks - cheers boys and girls; we couldn't have done it without you.

And hey - if Donny go down who'll your chairman be cheering for when you play them; the Club he's spent decades sponsoring and supporting...or ansfield Town?

Wouldn't it be classed as a conflict of interests if they do go down?
Wasn't there some issue about Mike Ashley getting involved with Rangers because there might be a chance that they could play against Newcastle at some stage?
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#3 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

The turning point?

Yesterday?

And hey - if Donny go down who'll your chairman be cheering for when you play them; the Club he's spent decades sponsoring and supporting...or Mansfield Town?

Excellent post. Where's Wooly???
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#4 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:59 AM

It's been a truly lousy season....

lovely read mate.

Never mind about Bank's heading, even Gboly is doing it. On a serious matter, the trail of destruction that Gboly is now consistently heaping on opponents - bookings, assists, attempts on goal, quality of passing - is making him a very valuable asset that must be protected.

I think you are right identifying Col U as the turning point but in terms of results, Barnsley has to be one of the most important of the last few years. Ollie Banks for Legend Status?.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#5 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

Aryibi is definitely the next of our assets teams higher up will come calling for. He was unplayable yesterday, must have been fouled 10 times and responsible for 3 of the Bury players getting a yellow card.

Special mentions to O'Shea, Novak, Hird and Liddle - all very good.

#6 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

Whilst Bury may have been "on the beach" we still had to knock them over and thankfully we did that in style. It was a day to be stood up an counted and every player did that and delivered the result we wanted. Mission accomplished after a dreadful season, well done Danny Wilson!

It was also great to see circa 7000 town fans there giving it plenty and having 5 or 6 man of the match contenders for a change.....

I'm now off for a lie down for 3 months and will be praying for better stuff next term! COYB

This post has been edited by Middle East: 01 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#7 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

View PostMiddle East, on 01 May 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Whilst Bury may have been "on the beach" we still had to knock them over ...

....having seen Tina's picture of the hand ball, the schoolboy concession of the penalty, and the cruising by their players, the cynic in me wonders how many of them got their missus to put a bet on. What an easy way to fund a summer break.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#8 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

Bury started as if they were well up for it, in particular their captain Jones who put in a couple of firm but fair 'reducers'. Huge credit to Donohue who went into a 50/50 with him in exactly that same firm but fair style and came off best, Jones hobbling until withdrawn at half time. That set the tone that, unlike v Sheff U, we weren't just going to lie down. Bury eased off after our third goal especially but I wouldn't accuse them of not having tried, which makes the victory all the sweeter.

This post has been edited by Siberian Spireite: 01 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

These go to eleven.

#9 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

View Postdim view, on 01 May 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

....having seen Tina's picture of the hand ball, the schoolboy concession of the penalty, and the cruising by their players, the cynic in me wonders how many of them got their missus to put a bet on. What an easy way to fund a summer break.

Likewise....Liddle actually getting no grief for once makes it all the more obvious. 😃

#10 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 01 May 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

Bury started as if they were well up for it, in particular their captain Jones who put in a couple of firm but fair 'reducers'. Huge credit to Donohue who went into a 50/50 with him in exactly that same firm but fair style and came off best, Jones hobbling until withdrawn at half time. That set the tone that, unlike v Sheff U, we weren't just going to lie down. Bury eased off after our third goal especially but I wouldn't accuse them of not having tried, which makes the victory all the sweeter.

Agreed for a team on the beach there was some bruising challenges and they were lucky to have 11 men at the end.

Getting the lead was important and once that happens the team with nothing to play for aren't that interested in chasing the game. The other important ingredient is that they just weren't very good
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#11 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

What I'm struggling with, is how do you go from the Barnsley performance the crap of the next 3 games and then yesterday.
Some of my drinking school yesterday was probably sick of hearing my conspiracy theory that our CEO suggested that we should make sure that the Bury game was vital we get extra punters in by reducing prices give a barnstorming performance and then sell more season tickets by extending the deadline
An obedient manager and a CEO with foresight or should I lower my celebratory alcohol intake?
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#12 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 01 May 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

What I'm struggling with, is how do you go from the Barnsley performance the crap of the next 3 games and then yesterday.
Some of my drinking school yesterday was probably sick of hearing my conspiracy theory that our CEO suggested that we should make sure that the Bury game was vital we get extra punters in by reducing prices give a barnstorming performance and then sell more season tickets by extending the deadline
An obedient manager and a CEO with foresight or should I lower my celebratory alcohol intake?

Definitely the latter!

#13 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 01 May 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

DW WAS TRYIN TO LIMP OVER THE LINE WITH FIVE TO PLAY BEING ULTRA DEFENSIVE. A MUST WIN PERFORMANCE MEANT HE HAD TO TAKE THE SHACKLES OFF.
God I hate this league.

#14 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 01 May 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

DW WAS TRYIN TO LIMP OVER THE LINE WITH FIVE TO PLAY BEING ULTRA DEFENSIVE. A MUST WIN PERFORMANCE MEANT HE HAD TO TAKE THE SHACKLES OFF.

I think that's true. After the win v Barnsley coupled with other results that day it meant with 49points on the board and 5 to play we were all but safe. But cue 1 point from 9 and a, albeit too late, mini resurgence from Donny all of a sudden we were feeling the pressure.
East stand second class citizen.

#15 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 01 May 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

I hear you loud and clear!!!
Just throwing an intoxicated theory into the mix. All ended well in the end and maybe a few extra quid in the coffers from more season ticket sales
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#16 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 01 May 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

Just throwing an intoxicated theory into the mix. All ended well in the end and maybe a few extra quid in the coffers from more season ticket sales

I'll have one for you Mick listening to Bradfud game in Tenerife.
God I hate this league.

#17 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 01 May 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

I think you're wrongly attributing more brain cells to Turner & Co than your beer addled self, Mick.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#18 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

I maintained all week we would beat Bury, we have played some important games against them over the years and i just knew we would win, but wow what a way to do it, against a very physical side not sure why they played that way, a blatant penalty to set us on our way and the third goal was sublime, we played some great football and i said to my lad how can we turn a performance in like this for a team that could have gone down, but we did, i was very happy and it makes the Player of the Season do something to look forward to now.....

#19 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 01 May 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

This

#20 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

View Postazul, on 01 May 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

Agreed for a team on the beach there was some bruising challenges and they were lucky to have 11 men at the end.

Getting the lead was important and once that happens the team with nothing to play for aren't that interested in chasing the game. The other important ingredient is that they just weren't very good

And that.

Bury had not come for a tummy tickle. And at 2-0 there was a spell where they might have pulled one back, which could have affected the outcome. But the 3rd killed them.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users