Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Signing Lee Novak - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signing Lee Novak My View

#21 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

novakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

Lester was 31 when we signed him. I think 27 is the prime age for a footballer as well.

I'll be honest. I expect him to be at Sheff Utd next season. I'll still applaude him.
I also expect JCR to be here along with at least one more current Sheff Utd player.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#22 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:16 PM

ash_cfc, on 30 April 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

I'm all for coming up with ideas, but let's have some realistic ones!

I wish you said that when somebody suggested the name Dean Saunders.

#23 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

metallilad, on 30 April 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

I'll be honest. I expect him to be at Sheff Utd next season. I'll still applaude him.
I also expect JCR to be here along with at least one more current Sheff Utd player.

JCR would be a great squad player here...teach Aryibi into a class winger

#24 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

if we can somehow offload seb then it becomes possible otherwise I can't see it. jcr more realistic I suspect. would love both

#25 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:22 PM

metallilad, on 30 April 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

JCR wouldn't be a bad signing but hes 33 years old. Don't know how long he has left in him, its different for a winger because they have to be fast and have the ability to take players on, so when his legs go, he goes.

#26 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:25 PM

jack bauer, on 30 April 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

if we can somehow offload seb then it becomes possible otherwise I can't see it. jcr more realistic I suspect. would love both

I think SEB will want to leave, hes not getting any game time now and at this stage of his career, he'll want to play. So if he goes than we can probably afford Novaks wages. Even after that we still have loads of players who aren't good enough, so if we get rid of them, we'll free up a lot more of the wage budget for new players.

This post has been edited by novakisaspireite: 30 April 2016 - 10:25 PM

#27 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:25 PM

£416,000 for one years football? You've got to be joking! That's a quarter, or a fifth (depending on who you believe) of the yearly budget on one player?

Totally agree , it's cloud cuckoo land for a club our size , also what would the effect on team spirit be paying one player perhaps 4 times the others wages ?

#28 User is offline   ash_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tits!

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:31 PM

novakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 10:22 PM, said:

JCR wouldn't be a bad signing but hes 33 years old. Don't know how long he has left in him, its different for a winger because they have to be fast and have the ability to take players on, so when his legs go, he goes.

Wingers need to be fast? Rubbish! Wingers need to be able to play football, be able to cross a ball and be creative. Speed helps, but as JCR has demonstrated, it can be equally as impactful coming on the inside if you can't out run the defender. As long as he can continue to offer the attributes he has contributed during his current loan spell, he'd be a very good signing next season on a years deal.
@ash_cfc89 - Against Modern Football

#29 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

Try and get Seb a nice three year contract somewhere, then offer Novak his wage on a three year deal for him. Novak would be an immense signing.
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#30 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

£416,000 for one years football? You've got to be joking! That's a quarter, or a fifth (depending on who you believe) of the yearly budget on one player?

There wouldn't be a transfer fee though as hes out of contract at the end of the season. Also if we didn't have Novak, we would have been relegated. So just think about the money he has saved the club there.

#31 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:38 PM

novakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

There wouldn't be a transfer fee though as hes out of contract at the end of the season. Also if we didn't have Novak, we would have been relegated. So just think about the money he has saved the club there.

Still doesn't mean we can offer him 8k per week lol

#32 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:43 PM

I know this is all guessing and has no substance but 8k a week is crazy money, with sensible management of the budget that would get us three or four decent players (probably around the lee hird Jones oshea price bracket) also the problem with spending heavily, you still need a squad full of players so you spend big on one then you have to cut corners on three or four.
I like Novak, he has been very good since Christmas but not for 8k a week.
Is it only me that things his first touch is a bit heavy?
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#33 User is offline   ash_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:43 PM

novakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

Mate, this isn't Football Manager. You can't just throw random figures that come to your head and think it's a realistic benchmark. I'd love to sign Novak, the lad can play.. But spend over 400 grand on 1 players wage, not including any bonuses? Give over!

Maybe you should start a just giving page up? £416,000 left to raise.. Hurry though, next season starts in about 3 and a half months!

#34 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

ash_cfc, on 30 April 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

Wingers need to be fast? Rubbish! Wingers need to be able to play football, be able to cross a ball and be creative. Speed helps, but as JCR has demonstrated, it can be equally as impactful coming on the inside if you can't out run the defender. As long as he can continue to offer the attributes he has contributed during his current loan spell, he'd be a very good signing next season on a years deal.

If you have slow wingers, that will slow down attacks, and counter-attacks, they won't be able to run into space as easily or effectively behind the opposition defence, and they won't be able to get past many players. They also will be slower tracking back which puts our defensive flanks at risk. It might be acceptable to have slow wingers if you like to slowly build up from the back and dislike scoring goals, but just think of the wingers we've had lately. Gardner, Ariyibi, JCR, Clucas, Darikwa etc they all have pace. Even O'Shea has a bit of pace which helps him take on players, and Roberts did as well.

#35 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

novakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

If you have slow wingers, that will slow down attacks, and counter-attacks, they won't be able to run into space as easily or effectively behind the opposition defence, and they won't be able to get past many players. They also will be slower tracking back which puts our defensive flanks at risk. It might be acceptable to have slow wingers if you like to slowly build up from the back and dislike scoring goals, but just think of the wingers we've had lately. Gardner, Ariyibi, JCR, Clucas, Darikwa etc they all have pace. Even O'Shea has a bit of pace which helps him take on players, and Roberts did as well.

Gary Roberts had one pace, and it wasn't quick.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#36 User is offline   ash_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

novakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

I'm sold.. Let's offer a rapid winger £10k a week!!!!

#37 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

lindo-spireite, on 30 April 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Still doesn't mean we can offer him 8k per week lol

Those reasons alone don't justify spending anything, but with the other reasons I've stated and the reasons others have stated combined, it starts to build a bigger picture.

#38 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

novakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

Those reasons alone don't justify spending anything, but with the other reasons I've stated and the reasons others have stated combined, it starts to build a bigger picture.

There's no bigger picture, a team with average crowds of 6ishk can't offer 8k a week to one player.

#39 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:54 PM

ash_cfc, on 30 April 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

I'm sold.. Let's offer a rapid winger £10k a week!!!!

Thats ridiculous. I was stating the disadvantages of having slow wingers, not saying we should sign a winger on the same money that equals the entire wage bill of Alfreton Town.

#40 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

firedodger, on 30 April 2016 - 10:48 PM, said:

Gary Roberts had one pace, and it wasn't quick.

Exactly. Pace was the last of the many qualities Roberts relied on.
John Robertson is always cited as the prime example of an effective winger without pace, though most wingers without pace nowadays are probably just labelled as wide midfielders.
These go to eleven.

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users