Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Signing Lee Novak - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signing Lee Novak My View

#1 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

Lee Novak has said multiple times that he would be happy to join us and said today that its up to the people at the top to decide if they want him. (Peak FM)

I don't know about you but I want our squad to be built on hard work, passion, and a never say die attitude, which Lee Novak has. Hes also managed to score 15 goals this season in what is, to put it nicely, a very dysfunctional squad. He can also play in a number of positions, up front, out wide, or behind the striker(s) in a sort of Gary Roberts role. Hes also an honest bloke, and he has a fantastic relationship with the fans. We all know the issue though, his wages. His wage at Birmingham has said to be in the region of around 13k a week, and even though Birmingham did introduce a 5k a week wage cap, it is unknown if this affected him as he signed before it was introduced. It seems obvious that Lee would accept a wage cut to join us, as it will guarantee him first team football, and he would be the star man in our team. In my opinion, if we plan our budget and squad size well, which can actually happen believe it or not, I don't see why we can't afford a large wage up in the region of about 8k a week if we make space, e.g getting rid of big money Ebanks-Blake, as its not in either parties interests that he stays.

Another reason to go for him is ambition. I have met a lot of Chesterfield fans who either aren't renewing their season ticket or are generally disgruntled with the club because they don't see the ambition to justify the ticket prices. Signing Lee, or at least trying to sign him, would make a statement of intent to the fans, and the staff that this club wants to move forward, and try and succeed at being a good football club. We need to sign players that we will use and will be an asset to us, and we need to get rid of the players not good enough. My view is that with all the young talented players coming into the first team fold, like Rai Simons, Gboly Ariyibi, and even Donohue, who must be on a small wage, its time that we sign a proper, championship proven player to guide them, and guide this club into better things.

I know we have signed previously unknown players like Ryan and Morsy etc for relatively little and they turned out to be brilliant, but I don't think this club has the capacity to find rare gems like this anymore after Paul Mitchells departure and Chris Morgans obsession with Sheff Utd players. Danny Wilson will have contacts but his signing of Liddle doesn't fill me with any hope.

If another club snaps him up for more money or he demands a wage that we cannot afford then fair enough. I just hope we try our best to sign him.

This is just my opinion, and some of you may call me an idiot and fair enough, but I just wanted to put this out there and see your opinions on the subject.

#2 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

I would love for us to sign Novak but at the right price. The flaw in your theory is what happens if he gets a bad injury, a high wage would be sat in the stands.
Have passport will travel

#3 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 30 April 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

I would love for us to sign Novak but at the right price. The flaw in your theory is what happens if he gets a bad injury, a high wage would be sat in the stands.

That is a big factor, but apart from a few niggles earlier in the season, hes been able to play regularly. He isn't injury prone either. Its a risk I know, but he might never be injured.

#4 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

The flaw in the theory is that much more ambitious clubs with bigger budgets will have been alerted by Novak's form. Why would he want to join us once others come sniffing, probably with better wages than we could offer?
These go to eleven.

#5 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 30 April 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Any wage sat in the stands is a dead wage.
If you don't want to sign a player with heart, spirit and ability in abundance because he'll want the best wage he can get then we might aswell pack up now and accept non league football.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#6 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

View Postnovakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

Lee Novak has said multiple times that he would be happy to join us and said today that its up to the people at the top to decide if they want him. (Peak FM)

I don't know about you but I want our squad to be built on hard work, passion, and a never say die attitude, which Lee Novak has. Hes also managed to score 15 goals this season in what is, to put it nicely, a very dysfunctional squad. He can also play in a number of positions, up front, out wide, or behind the striker(s) in a sort of Gary Roberts role. Hes also an honest bloke, and he has a fantastic relationship with the fans. We all know the issue though, his wages. His wage at Birmingham has said to be in the region of around 13k a week, and even though Birmingham did introduce a 5k a week wage cap, it is unknown if this affected him as he signed before it was introduced. It seems obvious that Lee would accept a wage cut to join us, as it will guarantee him first team football, and he would be the star man in our team. In my opinion, if we plan our budget and squad size well, which can actually happen believe it or not, I don't see why we can't afford a large wage up in the region of about 8k a week if we make space, e.g getting rid of big money Ebanks-Blake, as its not in either parties interests that he stays.

Another reason to go for him is ambition. I have met a lot of Chesterfield fans who either aren't renewing their season ticket or are generally disgruntled with the club because they don't see the ambition to justify the ticket prices. Signing Lee, or at least trying to sign him, would make a statement of intent to the fans, and the staff that this club wants to move forward, and try and succeed at being a good football club. We need to sign players that we will use and will be an asset to us, and we need to get rid of the players not good enough. My view is that with all the young talented players coming into the first team fold, like Rai Simons, Gboly Ariyibi, and even Donohue, who must be on a small wage, its time that we sign a proper, championship proven player to guide them, and guide this club into better things.

I know we have signed previously unknown players like Ryan and Morsy etc for relatively little and they turned out to be brilliant, but I don't think this club has the capacity to find rare gems like this anymore after Paul Mitchells departure and Chris Morgans obsession with Sheff Utd players. Danny Wilson will have contacts but his signing of Liddle doesn't fill me with any hope.

If another club snaps him up for more money or he demands a wage that we cannot afford then fair enough. I just hope we try our best to sign him.

This is just my opinion, and some of you may call me an idiot and fair enough, but I just wanted to put this out there and see your opinions on the subject.

I enjoyed reading what you put till it got to the 8k a week thing. Not for me. Sorry.
Every need got an ego to feed

#7 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

Agreed

Lee Novak in his interview on Peak put the ball squarely in the managements court

Imo he has stated his wage demands which will obviously be nowhere near 13k per week because he knows that is totally unrealistic for a club of our size

He will have stated a figure that he thinks is fair and he will probably have thought about the length of contract as well

Lets say for example he wants a 3 year contract which I think will take him to his 30th birthday and security for that length of time at a wage

he will be happy with

So all the posters on here who keep stating he will move elsewhere because we cannot meet his wage demands may be wide of the mark.

He knows how popular he is with the fans and being happy at a club goes a long way if money is not the be all and end all

We will just have to wait and see but lets hope common ground can be found
The funny thing today for me was walking down Pottery Lane after the match and still hearing the Novak song being sung by a few fans still left on the kop

As an aside if I can remember one of the reasons Jack Lester signed for us back in the day was because we offered him a longer deal at an agreed

wage than other clubs who offered him more money but a shorter contract so less security

This post has been edited by whittman: 30 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

#8 User is offline   ash_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tits!

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

£8k a week? LOL! 😂😂😂
@ash_cfc89 - Against Modern Football

#9 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 30 April 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

The flaw in the theory is that much more ambitious clubs with bigger budgets will have been alerted by Novak's form. Why would he want to join us once others come sniffing, probably with better wages than we could offer?

I think we have to at least try, but if like you say a bigger and more ambitious club comes in for him and makes an offer which greatly defeats ours, than obviously its out of our hands and we're powerless to do anything if he decides to go elsewhere. But I think its our duty to at least try to sign him. Also, I believe he will take his knowledge of our club and his relationship with the fans and our other players into consideration when deciding his future. He has a family and is settled, so the possibility of moving somewhere else to play for a different club will be a factor. Of course that factor won't be an issue if a club local to us or Birmingham makes him an offer.

#10 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:09 PM

View Postwhittman, on 30 April 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

Agreed

Lee Novak in his interview on Peak put the ball squarely in the managements court

Imo he has stated his wage demands which will obviously be nowhere near 13k per week because he knows that is totally unrealistic for a club of our size

He will have stated a figure that he thinks is fair and he will probably have thought about the length of contract as well

So all the posters on here who keep stating he will move elsewhere because we cannot meet his wage demands may be wide of the mark.

He knows how popular he is with the fans and being happy at a club goes a long way if money is not the be all and end all

The funny thing today for me was walking down Pottery Lane after the match and still hearing the Novak song being sung by a few fans still left on the kop

I could also hear his song in the background of his Peak FM interview :)

Also Danny Wilson says he would like to sign him, but admitted that "it's a long way down the road".

#11 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

£8k a week!
Lol

He's a decent if unspectacular player.
Would love him to sign though

#12 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

View Postnovakisaspireite, on 30 April 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

I could also hear his song in the background of his Peak FM interview :)

Also Danny Wilson says he would like to sign him, but admitted that "it's a long way down the road".

That statement just might be DW saying to DA how much do you want to back my ambition for the club and making it public as well

#13 User is offline   Hoare (400) 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

Give him a decentish wage, with a very good goal bonus, an a promise of the earth if we get promoted etc etc, you never know?

Hoare (400)

#14 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

View Postwhittman, on 30 April 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

That statement just might be DW saying to DA how much do you want to back my ambition for the club and making it public as well

Could be, and that would be the second time hes done such a thing as he said something during the january transfer window as well. Its good to have an experienced manager who knows how to deal and communicate with a chairman like DA, Paul Cook didn't have those skills, and neither did Dean Saunders.

#15 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

Hasn't it been said this week gat Novak needs to be realistic with what he wants? We can't afford him and we move on otherwise we get a lop sided squad like this season. If he gets injured we knackered

#16 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 30 April 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Hasn't it been said this week gat Novak needs to be realistic with what he wants? We can't afford him and we move on otherwise we get a lop sided squad like this season. If he gets injured we knackered

I haven't heard about that, but the problem is with this wage issue is that the only thing we can be sure of is that he'd take a wage cut. I agree with you that if he did have a long term injury he would be a massive loss, but if we were sensible with investment in other areas of our squad, then we wouldn't just collapse. We'd be able to still function and progress as a team.

This post has been edited by novakisaspireite: 30 April 2016 - 09:37 PM

#17 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

View Postwhittman, on 30 April 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

Agreed

Lets say for example he wants a 3 year contract which I think will take him to his 30th birthday and security for that length of time at a wage

he will be happy with

As an aside if I can remember one of the reasons Jack Lester signed for us back in the day was because we offered him a longer deal at an agreed

wage than other clubs who offered him more money but a shorter contract so less security

I would be staggered if we signed Novak permanently. Lester was a good bit older when we signed him than Novak is now. I'm guessing there are clubs willing to offer a 3-year deal to a 27-year-old.
These go to eleven.

#18 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 30 April 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

Any wage sat in the stands is a dead wage.
If you don't want to sign a player with heart, spirit and ability in abundance because he'll want the best wage he can get then we might aswell pack up now and accept non league football.

I didn't say don't sign him, I actually think he is the type of player DW will want in the team next season. My concern was the OP saying offer 8k a week as this would Leave very little left in the budget hope the board back DW and we push on again next season but unless DA puts in more money in (which the rumours suggest he won't) the type of players we sign will need DW to wheel and deal
The close season will show the clubs ambitions
Have passport will travel

#19 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 30 April 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

I would be staggered if we signed Novak permanently. Lester was a good bit older when we signed him than Novak is now. I'm guessing there are clubs willing to offer a 3-year deal to a 27-year-old.

Lester was 31 when we signed him. I think 27 is the prime age for a footballer as well.

#20 User is offline   ash_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tits!

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

£416,000 for one years football? You've got to be joking! That's a quarter, or a fifth (depending on who you believe) of the yearly budget on one player?

I'm all for coming up with ideas, but let's have some realistic ones!
@ash_cfc89 - Against Modern Football

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users