• You cannot reply to this topic

Early Bird Sts

#101 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 04 May 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

If he bulked up a bit , eats more red meat, and barged players out of the way , we would have a player on our hands.

I don't think heavily increasing his chances of prostate cancer is a good game plan bro

#102 User is offline   Spire-ite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 04 May 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

Yeah, his last game against Bury. He was spraying accurate passes all over the pitch, jumping and winning headers, AND tackling and winning believe it or not.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, total transformation from his usual play. However having said that, other players were doing the same, i.e. Dion Donahue put in some crunching tackles.

He headed the ball 4 times, unchallenged! his passes were all sideways, and even some of those didnt reach a blue shirt! Never saw 1 tackle.
This was his best game!!!
Simply not good enough for this league.

This post has been edited by Spire-ite: 04 May 2016 - 09:03 AM

#103 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostSpire-ite, on 04 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

He headed the ball 4 times, unchallenged! his passes were all sideways, and even some of those didnt reach a blue shirt! Never saw 1 tackle.

I agree, one Hollywood ball and one good finish per season is not enough. He's a slightly taller version of Mark Randall.

#104 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostSpire-ite, on 04 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

He easily good enough to be a squad player in L1, perhaps even more if he puts himself around
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#105 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 04 May 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

What I can't understand is if he has skills like that , why on earth doesn't he play like it every game.

Put himself in the shop window so to speak. He might even get a championship club interested.

I guess its indicative of many players at L1/2 level.

They have ability, can play football, but don't produce consistently.

#106 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Banks is worth a two year contract imo.

I don't think he'll ever be a hard-tackling defensive/central midfielder, and expecting him to turn into one is a non-starter. I'd like to see him used in that position in games where the opposition are 'lightweight', or alternatively in a more forward role.

That said, I don't see him as a nailed on first teamer, but he has shown potential, and will only improve with time.

#107 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

I see him as an attacking CM who has the potential to find the net when on form. But is sadly lacking in consistency, so I would fully expect him to be a squad player for us.

#108 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 04 May 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

I see him as an attacking CM who has the potential to find the net when on form. But is sadly lacking in consistency, so I would fully expect him to be a squad player for us.

I'd be happy with that.
God I hate this league.

#109 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

KevinArnottsGoldenBoot said:

1462358815[/url]' post='1208159']
Banks is worth a two year contract imo.

I don't think he'll ever be a hard-tackling defensive/central midfielder, and expecting him to turn into one is a non-starter. I'd like to see him used in that position in games where the opposition are 'lightweight', or alternatively in a more forward role.

That said, I don't see him as a nailed on first teamer, but he has shown potential, and will only improve with time.

He is still under contract next season
A new hope.

#110 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:08 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 07 May 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

He is still under contract next season

Aye. Still worth an extension at some stage if we think he's progressing.

#111 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostKevinArnottsGoldenBoot, on 07 May 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

Aye. Still worth an extension at some stage if we think he's progressing.

I think he's at the point where he has reached his level and we can't expect him to improve any further.

#112 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 08 May 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

I think he's at the point where he has reached his level and we can't expect him to improve any further.

Why not, he is young enough. Not saying he will but at the end of the day his weaknesses should be easily to improve on.

If he does improve then sometime before the end of the year will be soon enough for an extension
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#113 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

View Postazul, on 08 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Why not, he is young enough. Not saying he will but at the end of the day his weaknesses should be easily to improve on.

If he does improve then sometime before the end of the year will be soon enough for an extension

He had a bad injury at Wembley that he struggled to recover from. When he did he had the enviable task of trying to get into Cooks play off team, then last season he had the enviable task of trying to play well in Saunders car crash, as did all the others. I don't think he's done too badly at all since Wilson came in and a further season in a hopefully more settled set up will see more of the good stuff. Each to their own I suppose.
East stand second class citizen.

#114 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

Olly Banks is a show pony.

When allowed time on the ball he'll spray 'Hollywood' shots and passes around looking classy, however we might as well be playing with ten when it comes to any kind of physical contest.

Cook had him right; a benchwarmer only to be introduced when things were going our way.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#115 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 08 May 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

When allowed time on the ball he'll spray 'Hollywood' shots and passes around looking classy, however we might as well be playing with ten when it comes to any kind of physical contest.

Cook had him right; a benchwarmer only to be introduced when things were going our way.

It's not often we disagree mate but on this we do..I think, due to circumstances I said above its been a difficult two years for him. I'd be happy to see him here next year time will tell whatever the outcome is.

#116 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

Difference is, Cook had a far superior squad. And I think you're being a bit harsh, he's got a lot better as the season has progressed, in a crappy team. Scope for improvement. I say keep him and reassess after a few months of next season. Plus, we're going to need players on the bench.

There ain't gonna be money to spend, and there's plenty who ought to be first out the door before Banks.

#117 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

View Postazul, on 08 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

His weakness, or his main one, is the lack of aggression in his game for someone of his size, you can't build on or improve that, you either have it or you don't. If you don't then you have to have other assets in abundance that makes it worth while the team carrying you when we don't have possession and sadly he doesn't have it. He's OK to come in as cover, if he's cheap, but he shouldn't be anywhere near a first team starter on a regular basis.

Spot on

#118 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 08 May 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

His weakness, or his main one, is the lack of aggression in his game for someone of his size, you can't build on or improve that, you either have it or you don't. If you don't then you have to have other assets in abundance that makes it worth while the team carrying you when we don't have possession and sadly he doesn't have it. He's OK to come in as cover, if he's cheap, but he shouldn't be anywhere near a first team starter on a regular basis.

Spot on

Yet another one who I regularly agree with, but not on this occasion, sorry Ernie

#119 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 08 May 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

Yet another one who I regularly agree with, but not on this occasion, sorry Ernie

thought he was possibly our best player today.

#120 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 08 May 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

thought he was possibly our best player today.

Gave it a miss mate so can't comment...recharging the batteries for whatever next season will bring.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users