Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Sad News - Steve Allen Rip - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sad News - Steve Allen Rip Another Spire-ite In Heaven

#41 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Perhaps the club could mark Steves passing on Saturday?

#42 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Steve's daughter Laura has posted a tribute on a non league site that Steve used to frequent, I've pointed her in the direction of this thread

http://www.nonleague...e=unread#unread

#43 User is offline   Colin Mitchell 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Gutted! So, so sad to hear this news.

Can’t remember exactly where I first met Steve but I think it was back in 1973 either on an overnight away trip to Plymouth Argyle or at my ‘football trial’ for AFC Saltergate. Had been friends ever since and regularly met for AFC Saltergate, Saltergate CC and even at school, Nertherthorpe, where he would tend the gardens from time to time. And also of course, at Saltergate.

I was never sad to leave Saltergate but all of a sudden I am. I’ll remember Steve as almost being part of the fixtures and fittings on the kop. I must have stood with him at matches there for more than the last 25 years of Saltergate’s existence, and now he and it are gone.

I don’t know who will own the house that will stand on the same patch of land as that on which we both stood, but with apologies to them and to Rupert Brooke . . .

. . . there is a corner of that land that is for ever Steves’

#44 User is offline   Ashspire 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Rest in peace fellow Spireite.

#45 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

Steve's wife and daughters, Carol, Laura and Estelle have asked me thank everyone for all the kind and moving words posted on here. On reading through the posts it helps you realise what a fantastic man and friend our small community (I do crave a better vocabulary at times)has lost.

The arrangements have to be fine tuned as yet but it will be next Wednesday afternoon I wiil be in touch when all the details are sorted.

Cheers

Mick

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 26 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#46 User is offline   philly8mt 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The usual ;-)

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

When so many say such heartfelt things about one who has sadly passed away you know he must gave been a top bloke ...

R.I.P Steve

#47 User is offline   Andy Bennett 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Mick

I will call you later to discuss further but as it stands, I am away in Edinburgh with work next week and may not be able to move things around to attend the funeral.

Can you let all of us know on here if we can make a donation to any particular cause/charity/association if the worst happens and I/we can't attend.

Speak later

AB

#48 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Does anyone have a picture of the chap?

Like most I know fellow town fans by face rather than name.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#49 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Didn't know him by name, but given how hardcore he was I do feel I'd probably recognise his face.

Condolences to all that knew him.

#50 User is offline   Andy Bennett 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

TF

I think Frears Ghost will be posting a few pics in the coming weeks....i'm sure you will :) recognise Steve when you see the pics

AB

#51 User is offline   SelborneSpireite 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

I remember Steve well from those fantastic 1970's days at Saltergate and on the Branson's coach to away trips. I can still hear his laugh echoing around in the coach as we journeyed all over Division 3. As well as having Blue and White blood, I remember him as a ferocious centre half playing for AFC Saltergate (aka the 'easy beats') on many a wet Sunday morning on Highfield Park.

RIP Steve - it's been many, many years but you will not be forgotten. My condolences to his family too.

Steve G

#52 Guest_siralf_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

I’ll throw in a story about Steve. Not sure it happened exactly as I remember but then the truth shouldn’t really get in the way of a good story should it?

4 of us went to Cardiff on a Friday night in November. Had to double-check in Stuart’s book, it was 75-76. We were in the stand behind the goal, down near the front, and we sat there saying nowt as Town went 4-1 down.

Anyway, Town scored twice in the last 3 minutes to make it 4-3, and then we got a corner. A Cardiff player (I think it as Doug Livermore) was in front of us bouncing the ball like a basketball player and the ref took no notice of blatant time wasting. So Steve jumped over the fence, grabbed the ball out of Livermore’s hands, threw it over to the Town player waiting to take the corner, then jumped back into the crowd before anybody else including the Welsh Plod could react

Sadly we didn’t score from the corner and we lost 4-3. Great memories...

#53 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

I've been told that Steve's last game was on Saturday watching Nuneaton Griff v Hednesford Town in the 2nd qualifying round of the FA Cup (Griff's 1st appearance at this stage) he would have been pleased to have got another new ground in and have seen a decent match going by the report

http://www.clubwebsi.../report/4535226

#54 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

I can now confirm the details, Steve will be cremated next Wednesday at 3.30 The cortege will leave Calow appx. 3.10 and will travel to The Crem. via The Proact Arena for one last look.

From The Crem it is hoped that as many people as possible will join Steve's wife, daughters, mother and brothers in paying their respects in the time honoured fashion for a few hours in The Derby Tup followed by a sojourn to Steve's old watering hole The Oak.

A.B asked in an earlier post re donations, Steve's family have asked me to say the following:-

Steve having been a gardener saw enough flowers and wouldn't want people "wasting money" on them and has Steve often said "lets do someat different" so therefore if anyone wanted to make a donation. To reflect Steve's love of grass roots football the cash would be donated to a local junior football club ie in the age range under 10 to under 14 so that they can invest in some kit or equipment in return for a simple photo of said team with the kit so that his family have yet another momento of their loved one.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#55 Guest_djs_*

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Can someone put a pic of him on this thread?

RIP that man!!!

#56 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on 26 September 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Does anyone have a picture of the chap?

Like most I know fellow town fans by face rather than name.

Same here and if he went to non league games there is a good chance we've seen him there.May he rest in peace and God Bless and comfort his family.
lindave

#57 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Laura told me today that She "really loved the stories she had been reading about her dad"

As Steve was one of the most laid back person you could wish to meet and loved humour I will tell a couple(from the potential100's) of tales hopefully in that vain.

Firstly to clear up a previous assertion that Steve was a ferocious centre half (you,ve some need to talk grasser) I conceed that with mud splattered long hair he looked the part,However Steve on many occassions took great delight in telling me that he had never been cautioned and we were in the same side for ?15?years. He did come close on a few occassions and one in particular on the top pitch at Oxcroft when in the final minutes whilst hanging on for a rare(not really) victory Steve launched the ball in to the tap room of the MW and the ref decided it was deliberate time wasting and was therefore cautioning him. Steve responded "time wasting, time wasting I've been playing with this shower for 10 years thats what you call wasting your time" the ref laughed and put his book away.

I first met Steve in the 2nd week of our 1st term at Secondary school (he was a late starter having just moved to Loundsley Green) We became instant mates as we both had haversacks(for the young ones, a haversack fulfills 3 roles 1/ carrying your schoolbooks etc,2/ acting as mobile goalposts or cricket stumps 3/ swatting your fellow classmates around the head) enscribed in felt pen with Chesterfield FC , Blakey Lovie Frear Rackstraw. Any way on the sad day that town lost Ralph Hunt,Steve suggested that we should hold a minutes silence and persuading some fellow classmates to support us it was decided to perform this task the following morning during assembley whilst we should have been raising our voices in praise of the lord it proved not to be a wise move. This little transgression with authority was nothing compared to two years later when speech day was postponed due to some dignitary being unable to attend (cos the where on a promise so we thought)and then being rearranged the following week when town where at home (lost 2-0 Chester we were annoracks in them days Mark if they had been invented, balaclavaists maybe) after a 30 second discussion, sod speech day after all what acclodes were going to be thrown in our direction. no never regretted it (apart from we could never work out howBill Stark missed that sitter) although the following fortnight was a bit fraut.

Oh Siralf that aussie Aidrien Alston maybe
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#58 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

View Postlindave, on 26 September 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Same here and if he went to non league games there is a good chance we've seen him there.May he rest in peace and God Bless and comfort his family.

regarding pics beyound my capabilities it will be done by a fellow poster soon

Dave I'm sure you know him also paled about with Neil Davenport if I'm barking up the right tree
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#59 Guest_siralf_*

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 26 September 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Oh Siralf that aussie Aidrien Alston maybe

Thats the chap, scored a hat-trick I think. And after staying at Dave's in Cwmbran overnight we all ticked off Coventry's ground the day after

#60 User is offline   howardb 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 26 September 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Steve's wife and daughters, Carol, Laura and Estelle have asked me thank everyone for all the kind and moving words posted on here. On reading through the posts it helps you realise what a fantastic man and friend our small community (I do crave a better vocabulary at times)has lost.

The arrangements have to be fine tuned as yet but it will be next Wednesday afternoon I wiil be in touch when all the details are sorted.

Cheers

Mick

Mick - please pm me with a few words and I'll get an announcement sorted on Saturday

Howard

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users