Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Sad News - Steve Allen Rip - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sad News - Steve Allen Rip Another Spire-ite In Heaven

#141 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 25 September 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

6 years Mick , unbelievable ?

RIP Steve I raise a glass to the night me you and Bruce were drinking with Curly Watts from Corrie in Sailors Arms in Newquay

I've also had a drink with Curly, Flying Haggis Bar Benidorm 1985, also played football with him England v Scotland on the same trip.

Didn't know Steve had met him too

#142 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

View Postmoondog, on 25 September 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

I've also had a drink with Curly, Flying Haggis Bar Benidorm 1985, also played football with him England v Scotland on the same trip.

Didn't know Steve had met him too

Same year Moondog ...

Night before Live Aid in Sailors Arms Newquay ... Me Steve and Bruce Baskerville stood at bar ... In walks Kevin Kennedy dressed very similar to Curly in Corrie except he had massive Elton John / Trevor Horn type blue tinted glasses instead of his Corrie NHS pair

Steve leans forward .. " Got to ask you this ...PAL ..... are you Curly Watts ? "

Yes pal ... He spoke at length about football .... Keen City fan ...spoke about the League Cup Tie ( 1977 /8 ish ) at Saltergate and how it was Denis Tueart's last game for City after Sean O'Neill had " done him " Lol

He then went off to earn £400 for judging a Miss Wet T shirt competition ...

Curly , not Steve
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#143 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 25 September 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

Same year Moondog ...

Night before Live Aid in Sailors Arms Newquay ... Me Steve and Bruce Baskerville stood at bar ... In walks Kevin Kennedy dressed very similar to Curly in Corrie except he had massive Elton John / Trevor Horn type blue tinted glasses instead of his Corrie NHS pair

Steve leans forward .. " Got to ask you this ...PAL ..... are you Curly Watts ? "

Yes pal ... He spoke at length about football .... Keen City fan ...spoke about the League Cup Tie ( 1977 /8 ish ) at Saltergate and how it was Denis Tueart's last game for City after Sean O'Neill had " done him " Lol

He then went off to earn £400 for judging a Miss Wet T shirt competition ...

Curly , not Steve

Curly cane across as a decent fella, sociable friendly and a deceptively decent footballer so in good company with Steve, can't say the latter with Bruce but he talks a good game :rolleyes:

#144 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 15 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

Just to advise all who knew Steve that drinks in the Derby Tup, immediately following our home game v Maidenhead on 1st October, will be had to mark the 10th Anniversary of Steve's sad passing.

#145 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:15 AM

View Postmoondog, on 15 August 2022 - 08:59 AM, said:

Just to advise all who knew Steve that drinks in the Derby Tup, immediately following our home game v Maidenhead on 1st October, will be had to mark the 10th Anniversary of Steve's sad passing.

Due to the sad demise of the Tup the above glass raising event in memory of our true friend has been moved to the Red Lion (further up the 'Moor') all timings the same. Please pass the word.

For anyone wanting to have a reflective moment on the actual anniversary it's Sat morning (24th).
Cheers

R.I.P. Olde mate

You'd be 'luvvin' watching Town at the moment.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#146 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:52 AM

View Postmoondog, on 28 September 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I remember when I joined in 81, one of the lads would train (Friday nights up at Middlecroft Leisure Centre) in a Birmingham City top, I now realise it was a hand me down from Colin....

Incidentally the club only folded at the end of last season (by now AFC Moonrakers*) ironically after winning it's first ever honours (League and Cup Double)

* I was a bit of Oliver Holt and when I re-joined about 1991 (after about a 5 year absence unsuccessfully glory hunting in higher divisions) I became secretary a post I held for about 10 years, one the first things I did was to change the name back from St Helens to AFC Saltergate, which has got to be the best sunday league club name ever, its why i signed !!

I'll post up a link for the video in due course

We were a really good side that year. Won every game we played apart from the first game of the season. The club should never have folded. The only reason it did was because the lad who was doing the secretary stuff was an idiot and never got back to the council, or whoever, about if we were continuing into the new season and still wanted the pitch on Highfield park. He missed the deadline and they told us to swivel and gave the pitch to another team. With no pitch it was all over. Shame but I ended up moving away anyway. Last 11 a side game I played was the cup final win.

RIP Steve. Hope you all enjoy drinks in his memory.

#147 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:27 AM

View Posthilly81, on 23 September 2022 - 08:52 AM, said:

We were a really good side that year. Won every game we played apart from the first game of the season. The club should never have folded. The only reason it did was because the lad who was doing the secretary stuff was an idiot and never got back to the council, or whoever, about if we were continuing into the new season and still wanted the pitch on Highfield park. He missed the deadline and they told us to swivel and gave the pitch to another team. With no pitch it was all over. Shame but I ended up moving away anyway. Last 11 a side game I played was the cup final win.

RIP Steve. Hope you all enjoy drinks in his memory.

Think i played against you that year...it was the top pitch on Highfield Park wasnt it? We played on the one that sloped down the hill by the smaller changing rooms. Think you stuffed us both times that season but we may have beaten you the year before.

#148 User is offline   SpireKopite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:28 AM

What's happened with the Derby Tup? Living in Nottingham at the minute so not yet been back to Town for a few months..

#149 User is offline   Rudeboy spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:46 AM

I don't think that i knew him, but from the posts on here it's very obvious that he was a top lad and Town fan, so i would like to add my sadness at hearing this news and send my sincere sympathies to his family

#150 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:52 PM

View PostSpireKopite, on 23 September 2022 - 11:28 AM, said:

What's happened with the Derby Tup? Living in Nottingham at the minute so not yet been back to Town for a few months..

Closes next Friday (month end) been sold to a company who buy up businesses and the re let's them 🙏 so there's a slight hope that a brewery might take the plunge but there's probably as much chance as town winning FAcup
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#151 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:03 PM

Delivered a pallet of WHITE RAT Ossett brewery today , anybody sampled it.
God I hate this league.

#152 User is offline   KevG 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2022 - 05:46 AM

View PostDIFH, on 23 September 2022 - 09:03 PM, said:

Delivered a pallet of WHITE RAT Ossett brewery today , anybody sampled it.

Good reliable beer,,,pretty much always available in the Pig n Pump in town,,,,Ossett beers are on the whole very quaffable!

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users