Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Exposed For What We Are. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exposed For What We Are.

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

We began the season with question marks alongside many players, however from what I witnessed they at were least competent and often outstanding.

Danny Wilson's collection of 'bargain buys' demonstrated an encouraging organisation, graft and fluency.

Meanwhile the hugely controversial Ched Evans added the quality that turned defeat into a draw, then what looked a draw into victory.

Even the loss at Shrewsbury had their fans stating how fortunate they'd been against a dominant Town side.

Unfortunately one of the better teams at our level gave us something of lesson today.

Let's be clear; we'll probably play worse and get something. But for the second season running a physically and technically superior Millwall outfit turned up, did what they had to do, then punished the kinda mistakes a team put together with our budget will inevitably make.

Morrison terrorised the likeable yet pedestrian Evatt. Both full backs struggled, especially as those in front of them offered nothing in a defensive sense. Indeed Ariyibi must love playing for CFC so much he went out of his way to convince any scouts he's not worth signing. Meanwhile Evans, our 'get out of jail card', was comfortably marshalled.

In the midst of this Nolan impressed, O'Shea offered movement if no end product and Hird underlined his reputation for reading a game. But for him it could've been worse, much worse. Mitchell offered a glimpse of something to come, too.

Perhaps Proact CEO, Chris Turner, best summed up our realistic aspirations in his recent 'Times' interview by suggesting fielding a survival side is some sort of success. Problem is he went on to portray the future brighter because a number of expensive contracts are up next summer - conveniently omitting the fact he negotiated those 'mill stone' contracts in the first place!

Not to mention the debt accrued on his watch is the reason Wilson's hands are tied as they are.

One other thing, too.

I couldn't help noticing that instead of the numerous sponsors taking to the pitch in previous seasons, only one took to the pitch today. Now I know Steve Coe, the bloke running SBK Computers, is a CFC stalwart, the sorta person the Club can rely upon when everyone else has abandoned them.

Sadly that appears to be the case.

I don't share the view expressed by some that we were embarrassed. I do think the shortcomings of our squad were exposed, though. The Chairman was at the game today - I'd like to think he'd adopt a similar point of view.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 27 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

Talking of sponsors, I forgot to look. Is the Royal Pearl board still up?

#3 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 27 August 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

They were moved to the east stand at the start of the season.

However today they were back at the south end of the west stand.

#4 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Yep

#5 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Ched is always gunna struggle till we go 4-4-2 ...1 up top is far too easy to defend these days....teams are used to playing against it now...i would much prefer to see dennis start alongside ched and see how that goes.

This post has been edited by spireitetoo: 27 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#6 User is offline   Forever a Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Perhaps a good question for Turnipe at the meeting
#notapennymore

#7 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 27 August 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Ched is always gunna struggle till we go 4-4-2 ...1 up top is far too easy to defend these days....teams are used to playing against it now...i would much prefer to see dennis start alongside ched and see how that goes.

How would Jay O'Shea fit in a 4 4 2 set up , as he is not a winger. His best position is behind the striker .

#8 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 27 August 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Dennis didn't offer much did he? Without checking I assume he is young but he doesn't look it

View PostBowzer spirey, on 27 August 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

How would Jay O'Shea fit in a 4 4 2 set up , as he is not a winger. His best position is behind the striker .

Jay O been below par last 2 home games imo

#9 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 27 August 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

We began the season with question marks alongside many players, however from what I witnessed they at were least competent and often outstanding.

Danny Wilson's collection of 'bargain buys' demonstrated an encouraging organisation, graft and fluency.

Meanwhile the hugely controversial Ched Evans added the quality that turned defeat into a draw, then what looked a draw into victory.

Even the loss at Shrewsbury had their fans stating how fortunate they'd been against a dominant Town side.

Unfortunately one of the better teams at our level gave us something of lesson today.

Let's be clear; we'll probably play worse and get something. But for the second season running a physically and technically superior Millwall outfit turned up, did what they had to do, then punished the kinda mistakes a team put together with our budget will inevitably make.

Morrison terrorised the likeable yet pedestrian Evatt. Both full backs struggled, especially as those in front of them offered nothing in a defensive sense. Indeed Ariyibi must love playing for CFC so much he went out of his way to convince any scouts he's not worth signing. Meanwhile Evans, our 'get out of jail card', was comfortably marshalled.

In the midst of this Nolan impressed, O'Shea offered movement if no end product and Hird underlined his reputation for reading a game. But for him it could've been worse, much worse. Mitchell offered a glimpse of something to come, too.

Perhaps our CEO, Chris Turner, best summed up our realistic aspirations in his recent 'Times' interview by suggesting fielding a survival side is some sort of success. Problem is he went on to portray the future brighter because a number of expensive contracts are up next summer - conveniently omitting the fact he negotiated those 'mill stone' contracts in the first place!

Not to mention the debt accrued on his watch is the reason Wilson's hands are tied as they are.

One other thing, too.

I couldn't help noticing that instead of the numerous sponsors taking to the pitch in previous seasons, only one took to the pitch today. Now I know Steve Coe, the bloke running SBK Computers, is a CFC stalwart, the sorta person the Club can rely upon when everyone else has abandoned them.

Sadly that appears to be the case.

I don't share the view expressed by some that we were embarrassed. I do think the shortcomings of our squad were exposed, though. The Chairman was at the game today - I'd like to think he'd adopt a similar point of view.

Reasonable summary Chris.

It was a bit like men against boys for me, today, along with a very lenient referee.

The referee was in no way to blame for our defeat today but I witnessed a number of off the ball, professional/callous, fouls today which the officials chose to ignore, let go, or not see.

That said, I thought, whilst Nolan looks as if he is going to be a decent player he was sloppy in distribution today and is still struggling to get to grips with the pace of the game at this level. However, I think he will and prove to be a very good signing.

Realistically, though, our central defensive pairing is too slow. Whilst both have been good stalwarts, for me, we should be looking to move on and replace both Hird and Evatt. I need to see the third goal again but I still can't believe that two experienced centre-backs gave Morison the freedom of the park to lob the keeper after what was no more than a clearance from a defender after Gardner, once again, allowed the ball to run rather than taking possession.

I agree it wasn't as embarrassing as some, even Tim, would have us believe. We were the victims of our own downfall whilst needing to get more streetwise.

The game was somewhat summed up in the first few minutes with two fresh air kicks - Nolan on the edge of our penalty area presenting them with a chance that hit our bar and then Evans in their penalty area which only served to remind me of one's son-in-law - could have done better!!!!!

This post has been edited by dtp: 27 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

#10 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 27 August 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

Jayo would fit perfectly on the bench....he lacks the physical presence required to play behind the main striker he wins very little holds onto yhe ball too long and has not got the pace on the break, i would prefer to see simmons get a game in that role if we are to continue with it.... and give the defence summat else to worry about

#11 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 27 August 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

Dennis didn't offer much did he? Without checking I assume he is young but he doesn't look it

Jay O been below par last 2 home games imo

Tbh it was a poor game to judge dennis but his movement off the ball looked good amd it would give opposition defences more than just ched to think about the movement of the pair of em would cause alot of problems for sny defence imo of course

#12 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 27 August 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

Tbh it was a poor game to judge dennis but his movement off the ball looked good amd it would give opposition defences more than just ched to think about the movement of the pair of em would cause alot of problems for sny defence imo of course

From what I saw today Dennis wouldn't cause any league 1 defence much problem. Early days....

This post has been edited by Spire-Power: 27 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

#13 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 27 August 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

From what I saw today Dennis wouldn't cause any league 1 defence much problem. Early days....

It'd help if he could remain in a upright position.

#14 User is offline   Stoptalkingbol 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 27 August 2016 - 07:37 PM, said:

It'd help if he could remain in a upright position.

Another paceless weed to add to the many others in the squad. He must be a 6 yard sniffer to bag all those goals.

#15 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

Looks like the real number of spaces are being made available for our new commercial manager to sell.

This now shows that signs in place are not always bringing in revenue - more to create that impression.
God I hate this league.

#16 User is offline   Mrhappy 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Yes, they have two........one in the west stand and one in the east stand.

#17 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

View PostMrhappy, on 27 August 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

Yes, they have two........one in the west stand and one in the east stand.

I could hardly read the test on the board. I think they are slowly airbrushing it out hoping we don't notice and eventually forget they ever existed
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#18 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

The big positive out of that was Mitchells performance...definitely has the potential

#19 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

I don't know how he's played in the games I've not gone to but Liddle still doesn't do enough for me.

Yes, he ponces around a bit and doesn't offend particularly but shouldn't he be influencing games? Directing the team, driving them on and taking responsibility? He seems perfectly content to let Nolan (who I quite liked on my first sight) be the 'senior' man in the two.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 27 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

#20 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

Atm we have to hope that neither Liddle nor Nolan get injured

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic