• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bunker Mentality can PC capitalise

#1 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

If the team spirit is as good as were told can PC capitalise on the Bunker Mentality

It should be easy to generate, the board won't back us, the fans doubt our ability to survive in L1, we're few in number, we're playing massive teams.

Shame it has come to this but I think it could work given a fair wind

Then I woke up when Armand scored a hat trick against the Urinals :wacko:
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#2 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

View Postazul, on 22 July 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

If the team spirit is as good as were told can PC capitalise on the Bunker Mentality

It should be easy to generate, the board won't back us, the fans doubt our ability to survive in L1, we're few in number, we're playing massive teams.

the new crazy GANG??

#3 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

The team and manager will go out and do their very best that I am sure of. We will do this not because of but in spite of DA. However I am sure that if PC can find the right signing at the right price DA will reluctantly back him. No matter what he says and if he wants to off load the club to get his money back. I cannot see what he has to gain by cutting the legs off the team and sending us back to L2. Eventually he will see sense I hope
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

View Postazul, on 22 July 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

The first thing PC should do when he gets in front of the mikes is to apologise for the trouble he's caused. He was right to be angry and the apology may be orchestrated, but at his level he has to toe the party line. To be fair to him, he should have been intercepted, but when we've got CT implying to the Chesterfield Post that he now fears a fans' backlash against DA, it's all gone too far. This whole problem could have been alleviated if PC had handled things differently...
'well Phil, it turns out my budget is the same as last year and I'm disappointed, but I understand why and it would be foolhardy to risk alot of money on a few expensive players at this stage so I'm changing my shopping list'.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#5 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

View Postdim view, on 23 July 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

The first thing PC should do when he gets in front of the mikes is to apologise for the trouble he's caused. He was right to be angry and the apology may be orchestrated, but at his level he has to toe the party line. To be fair to him, he should have been intercepted, but when we've got CT implying to the Chesterfield Post that he now fears a fans' backlash against DA, it's all gone too far. This whole problem could have been alleviated if PC had handled things differently...
'well Phil, it turns out my budget is the same as last year and I'm disappointed, but I understand why and it would be foolhardy to risk alot of money on a few expensive players at this stage so I'm changing my shopping list'.

Why is this PC's fault?
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#6 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

View Postdim view, on 23 July 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

I haven't heard him say anything on interview that needs an apology. All I have heard are stories about talking in pubs. I take them with a pinch of salt.

The problem is caused by all the DA/CT spin and in particular Turner 's disastrous interviews.

What is interesting on here is the lack of antagonism towards DA so Turner should shut up about that as well

This post has been edited by azul: 23 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

#7 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

View Postlongeatonspireite, on 23 July 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

Why is this PC's fault?

Because, in my opinion, the interview exposed the fall out between PC and DA/CT. That's why Freelander wanted it pulled. Let them fall out in private. Unity in public.

#8 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

They are right to pull the spending in if we can't afford it, though a few things have really riled the fans...

1) Why blame us? (again)
2) Why did the club not own up and take the responsibility for the shortfall of finances? the fans would have excepted this.
3) Why have we been lead down the garden path thinking a deal was done or next to done for Higdon?
4) Why were we even in talks with Higdon when we clearly couldn't afford him and for so long?
5) Paul Cook clearly knew the poor budget and situation, so why have the fans just been put through the crazy summer and major disappointment that we just have just had? To sell season tickets??
6) A thread bare squad and no striker, but the admission prices have gone up.
7-100)Why blame us? (every single time, again and again it's our fault, when is somebody going to put their hands up and say it's our fault, we got it wrong??)

This post has been edited by Spireite-Karl: 23 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

#notapennymore

#9 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

View Postdim view, on 23 July 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Because, in my opinion, the interview exposed the fall out between PC and DA/CT. That's why Freelander wanted it pulled. Let them fall out in private. Unity in public.

O.K. I can go with that but should CT do like wise. At the moment all of the blame is being passed around in circles. All this needed was someone probably CT to come out and say where we were at, and not try to make out things were rosy. Paul Cook must be absolutely fuming by being embarrassed by the Higdon saga and having all of his work on transfers being cutback. In my opinion Paul Cook is the last one to apologise. I also see Dave Allen's point of view, but it should have been made clear 8 weeks ago. There were rumours but no one was willing to put their name to it.

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 23 July 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

They are right to pull the spending in if we can't afford it, though a few things have really riled the fans...

1) Why blame us? (again)
2) Why did the club not own up and take the responsibility for the shortfall of finances? the fans who have excepted this.
3) Why have we been lead down the garden path thinking a deal was done or next to done for Higdon?
4) Why were we even in talks with Higdon when we clearly couldn't afford him and for so long?
5) Paul Cook clearly knew the poor budget and situation, so why have the fans just been put through the crazy summer and major disappointment that we just have? To sell season tickets??
7-100)Why blame us? (every single time, again and again it's our fault, when is somebody going to put their hands up and say it's our fault, we got it wrong??)

Well said mate!
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#10 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

He said nothing in that interview against DA/CT. God knows why Freelander wanted it pulled

He said there would.be the announcement on Monday and there was

He said we will have to scale back on preseason because of squad size and injuries. I'm glad he did. What did you want him to say to explain the team he put out

After what Turner said yesterday about the Leeds game perhaps Cook will be pressurised into fielding players with strains and knocks, great

This post has been edited by azul: 23 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

#12 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

View Postazul, on 23 July 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

He said nothing in that interview against DA/CT. God knows why Freelander wanted it pulled

He said there would.be the announcement on Monday and there was

He said we will have to scale back on preseason because of squad size and injuries. I'm glad he did. What did you want him to say to explain the team he put out

After what Turner said yesterday about the Leeds game perhaps Cook will be pressurised into fielding players with strains and knocks, great

He said:
Regarding the expected signings..the club is going to release something about it..
I am certainly going to duck out of any question [on this subject].... I am not in a good place at the moment to answer and I don't want to say something I may regret
I am sure over the next couple of days there will be some clarity

He made it absolutely clear he was incredibly unhappy with the situation regarding funding and lack of new players. His comments certainly served to warn us of the impending bad news, and seem to add a whole truckload to that pinch of salt regarding comments attributed to him in the pub.

#13 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

1) Why blame us? (again)
2) Why did the club not own up and take the responsibility for the shortfall of finances? the fans would have excepted this.
5) Paul Cook clearly knew the poor budget and situation, so why have the fans just been put through the crazy summer and major disappointment that we just have just had? To sell season tickets??

Can't argue with any of that.

This is a situation that has been created by the club; a bit of honest public appraisal earlier in the summer about what we could and couldn't afford to do would have led to a bit of moaning I am sure, but that goes with the territory and would have passed. It has been allowed to build though and I don't see many people at the club who have the gravitas and tact to settle things back down again very quickly.

#14 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

No, I didn't want it pulled, I was surprised that it hadn't been pulled.

#15 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 23 July 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

No, I didn't want it pulled, I was surprised that it hadn't been pulled.

yep. sorry. that's what I meant.

#16 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 23 July 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

He said:
Regarding the expected signings..the club is going to release something about it..
I am certainly going to duck out of any question [on this subject].... I am not in a good place at the moment to answer and I don't want to say something I may regret
I am sure over the next couple of days there will be some clarity

He made it absolutely clear he was incredibly unhappy with the situation regarding funding and lack of new players. His comments certainly served to warn us of the impending bad news, and seem to add a whole truckload to that pinch of salt regarding comments attributed to him in the pub.

I think that is very tactful on the part of Cook avoiding any criticism

Think you are making a mountain out of a molehill with this one

#17 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Just a thought, maybe PC wasn't fully up to speed with the financials, or maybe he'd been told 'We're over budget but don't worry, Uncle Dave has bailed us out before, he's bound to do it again'. Clearly something gave PC the confidence to go ahead, talk to players, make offers.

I don't know how hands-on DA is, but it seems as if he's taken a direct interest, not been happy with the the figures and thrown a curveball by putting his foot down, to the shock of the day-to-day management.

PC did seem to have had the wind taken out of his sails at the weekend, but then I felt the same and I'm sure many others did too. I suspect with a couple of days reflection and with a clearer head, he will be more like his old self. Maybe the disappointment was still very fresh at the time and in hindsight, I dunno, maybe the interview could have been managed to keep him off the topic or edited.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#18 User is offline   fatfrank 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

1) Why blame us? (again)

Agree with most of that Karl but I don't feel as if anybody is blaming me,I went to every home game so I did my bit as I am sure you did. It's the 90 odd thousand residents of town who didn't go who DA and CT are blaming IMO.

This post has been edited by fatfrank: 23 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

#19 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

View Postfatfrank, on 23 July 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Agree with most of that Karl but I don't feel as if anybody is blaming me,I went to evary home game so I did my bit as I am sure you did. It's the 90 odd thousand residents of town who didn't go who DA and CT are blaming IMO.

Agree with you in a way, but it's not their fault either. The hardcore go every/ most week(s) and those that aren't so bothered, can't afford it, live away or not interested or whatever other reasons can't be blamed either. You have to give people a reason to go when they are one of the above. The football started fantastic, but after that our form over the rest of the season wasn't top three stuff and the football for large parts wasn’t either, it was mainly down to the excellent start that kept us there.
And at the end of the day you surely budget slightly conservatively, not at the higher end and then set your stall out from there. IF we then far exceed what we budgeted for then great, if not then we'd still be there or there-a-bouts (apart from a really poor season maybe). Also flogging a dead horse in letting Sheridan bring so many average over paid players into the club on long contracts, then paying many of them off at huge cost hasn’t helped either (again, not the stay away’s fault either), so the blame lies at the top for me and blaming stay aways isn’t going to make them want to come back either is it?
Just hold your hands up and blame yourselves for heavens sake (we all make mistakes)... not make excuses as it doesn’t sit very well with the regulars and the non-regulars alike I would have thought.
#notapennymore

#20 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

View Postfatfrank, on 23 July 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Agree with most of that Karl but I don't feel as if anybody is blaming me,I went to every home game so I did my bit as I am sure you did. It's the 90 odd thousand residents of town who didn't go who DA and CT are blaming IMO.

What's the point of blaming people who don't want his product

"Tesco blames Aldi customers for drop in profits" that reads well

#21 User is offline   spireman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Why do you have to blame anyone as far as I can see income has not reached expected, happens everywhere. From what I've read they are all stating facts no ones fault just life. Many have worked overtime and been dissapointed with pay when tax man had is slice, lighten up the club has to live within its means like everyone should.
The odd ten people on this board who are moaning about finances/signings etc, in my view dont represent many supportersshould and are probably ignored.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users