• You cannot reply to this topic

Reality Check

#1 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

The doom and gloom on here and talk of 'just like 2011' is stupid

There are still 2 weeks to the season and the club are obviously looking at options

Yes we would all like a few more players, in particular a decent striker, but people forget that we were near the top of the scoring tables in L2 last season as well as having one of the best defences (despite no 20 goal a season striker) and our squad now is far superior to what we had in 2011 in midfield and defense

In 2011 we lost loads of goal threat in Davies and Smalley (around 40 goals) from the promoted side, this time we've lost Richards' 10 or so goals

There is no comparison, even with no signings the team is much better than 2011 and should make a better fist of L1 - this team was by no means outclassed by Peterborough who were near the top of L1 last year!

People like to moan and bang on about mythical 20 goal a year strikers, or players from the lower divisions of the Scottish pub league who could 'do a job for us'

By no means would going into the season with just what we have be ideal, but it should be adequate to do ok in L1 and certainly more equipped to do so than what we had in 2011

Reading the drivel on here you'd think we had lost all the players who did so well last season, which is not the case

So, hopefully new signings will come, but even if they don't it is no reason for the defeatest doom and gloom posts on here

Get behind the club, the current squad is good enough to survive in L1, a couple of additions would make us a very good L1 side

Talk of budgets and moaning about DA getting his hand in his pocket is not needed

I for one am looking forward to the season

#2 User is offline   Zeus 

• Hellenic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Σπαΐραïτς

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostCartman, on 22 July 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

There are still 2 weeks to the season and the club are obviously looking at options

Yes we would all like a few more players, in particular a decent striker, but people forget that we were near the top of the scoring tables in L2 last season as well as having one of the best defences (despite no 20 goal a season striker) and our squad now is far superior to what we had in 2011 in midfield and defense

In 2011 we lost loads of goal threat in Davies and Smalley (around 40 goals) from the promoted side, this time we've lost Richards' 10 or so goals

There is no comparison, even with no signings the team is much better than 2011 and should make a better fist of L1 - this team was by no means outclassed by Peterborough who were near the top of L1 last year!

People like to moan and bang on about mythical 20 goal a year strikers, or players from the lower divisions of the Scottish pub league who could 'do a job for us'

By no means would going into the season with just what we have be ideal, but it should be adequate to do ok in L1 and certainly more equipped to do so than what we had in 2011

Reading the drivel on here you'd think we had lost all the players who did so well last season, which is not the case

So, hopefully new signings will come, but even if they don't it is no reason for the defeatist doom and gloom posts on here

Get behind the club, the current squad is good enough to survive in L1, a couple of additions would make us a very good L1 side

Talk of budgets and moaning about DA getting his hand in his pocket is not needed

I don't agree with everything you post, but we're on the same page here. The one thing I'm slightly concerned about is sometimes good sides need invigorating with a fresh face or two. On the other hand, an XI that's been playing together for a while can beat more talented teams just on understanding each other and knowing each other's game better than the opposition. Specifically speaking, the runs Doyle makes could be a great weapon for us. I keep saying Eoin Doyle is much better than what the vast majority of Town fans give him credit for.

(I think we'll get 19 goals from him this season, because he's not quite that 20 goal forward we need Posted Image)
@MancSpireites

#3 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

I support the club and agree by and large with what you say about the team. I just think the timing and the way this has all come out hasn't covered them in glory.

It's not a good way to start the new season
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#4 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostZeus, on 22 July 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

I don't agree with everything you post, but we're on the same page here. The one thing I'm slightly concerned about is sometimes good sides need invigorating with a fresh face or two. On the other hand, an XI that's been playing together for a while can beat more talented teams just on understanding each other and knowing each other's game better than the opposition. Specifically speaking, the runs Doyle makes could be a great weapon for us. I keep saying Eoin Doyle is much better than what the vast majority of Town fans give him credit for.

(I think we'll get 19 goals from him this season, because he's not quite that 20 goal forward we need Posted Image)

We are going into the season with one striker, we have lost MR which means just like Jack in 2011, Eoin will be flogged to death.

Please don't insult anyone's intelligence by claiming AG is an option, he's going out on loan remember because he's not ready, ( not my words)
JRID

#5 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 22 July 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

We are going into the season with one striker, we have lost MR which means just like Jack in 2011, Eoin will be flogged to death.

Please don't insult anyone's intelligence by claiming AG is an option, he's going out on loan remember because he's not ready, ( not my words)

Think that option has since changed
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#7 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

View Postmartatcross, on 22 July 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Think that option has since changed

I know, things are so rosy that the striker deemed not good enough by the hierarchy at the club has suddenly become pivotal.

Armand needs to develop at Armands pace and you never know, he may develop, but being thrust into the spotlight as the saviour will end with him being crucified.

Not fair on the lad.
JRID

#8 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostCartman, on 22 July 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

So, hopefully new signings will come, but even if they don't it is no reason for the defeatest doom and gloom posts on here

I'm looking forward to the season as I do every season - I hate June and July - and I do agree the squad is better placed than 2011. However what you haven't mentioned is the price increases and the leading the fans up the garden path by chasing a particular player for weeks only then to reveal that we actually have no money to chase such a player. Nevertheless I will be at Orient with a smile on my face expecting a good performance - we area good side with good players, it's a crying shame that we haven't built on our momentum from last year which you could argue is far greater than 2011 when loan signings carried us through.

#9 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

View Postharboroughspireite, on 22 July 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to the season as I do every season - I hate June and July - and I do agree the squad is better placed than 2011. However what you haven't mentioned is the price increases and the leading the fans up the garden path by chasing a particular player for weeks only then to reveal that we actually have no money to chase such a player. Nevertheless I will be at Orient with a smile on my face expecting a good performance - we area good side with good players, it's a crying shame that we haven't built on our momentum from last year which you could argue is far greater than 2011 when loan signings carried us through.

leading fans or the garden path, or trying to sign a good player and not being able to come to a deal that the club was happy with

the neediness for some fans to get hourly updates on what is happening at the club leads to the poor information that leaks out and the stange press releases that tell us nothing really

#10 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

How many goals in our last league one campaign did we concede in the last ten/fifteen minutes due to the lack of fitness. This definately ain't gonna be happening again regularly.

Mr Cook. If you read this then all we need to do is keep a nil. The rest should take care of itself!
I should've been a football manager. :D :lol:
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#11 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 22 July 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

I know, things are so rosy that the striker deemed not good enough by the hierarchy at the club has suddenly become pivotal.

Armand needs to develop at Armands pace and you never know, he may develop, but being thrust into the spotlight as the saviour will end with him being crucified.

Not fair on the lad.

Ignoring the OP, Armand...

It's the only way he'll learn, game time, I'm sure he wouldn't want it any other way
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#12 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostZeus, on 22 July 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

I agree, I think Doyle may surprise this season

#13 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 22 July 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

at the moment he's gonna have to!

think he is capable of being a very good player in L1 and under rated by many Town fans

#14 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostCartman, on 22 July 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

leading fans or the garden path, or trying to sign a good player and not being able to come to a deal that the club was happy with

the neediness for some fans to get hourly updates on what is happening at the club leads to the poor information that leaks out and the stange press releases that tell us nothing really

Sorry are you saying that it's the fans fault for leaks? And the fact that it's poor information? And the strange press releases from the club??! What???

#15 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

View Postharboroughspireite, on 22 July 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

Sorry are you saying that it's the fans fault for leaks? And the fact that it's poor information? And the strange press releases from the club??! What???

fans get too needy

club panic and think they must get something out to pacify fans

press releases are rushed

poor information

#16 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostCartman, on 22 July 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

fans get too needy

poor information

I think you value the opinions of fans far too much if you believe that a professional club with a millionaire owner rushes out press releases in order to pacify the likes of you and I

#17 User is offline   sixmilliondollardan 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

fans get too needy

poor information

I'd agree with this. They way they go on some fans seem to think player contract negotiations should be thrashed out around a table in the club car park for all to see.

#18 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

fans get too needy

poor information

God almighty

#19 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

View Postsixmilliondollardan, on 22 July 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'd agree with this. They way they go on some fans seem to think player contract negotiations should be thrashed out around a table in the club car park for all to see.

I've purposely pressed for clarification from the Club for weeks now regarding the Higdon deal, hopefully the likes of Cartman can now understand why.

Treat the fanbase with a bit of respect, we're not all thick, in fact, some of us can see through the BS & spin.

#20 User is online   smiffy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Saturday afternoons and Tuesday nights, also, racing caravans backwards !!!given that up now ,got bored.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 22 July 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

I think the same in that we haven't seen the best from him yet.

#21 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

View Postsmiffy, on 22 July 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

I think the same in that we haven't seen the best from him yet.

Abosulely agree, but with no evidence to support that

Likewise, we haven't seen the best of Armand, cold comfort?

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users