• You cannot reply to this topic

Cook's Position.

#21 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

View Posth again, on 21 July 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Cook came on the back of two factors - the first was the football Accy played to make us look poor; the other was probably the deciding factor, and was that he could put a quality team together on a very tight budget.
So he can hardly get out now pleading lack of resources, not that I think for one minute he wants to.
And if he can compete and have a reasonable season on what he's got he can really start expecting some big offers to come his way.
I imagine he's pretty disappointed with the way things have turned out, but he must have known about the financial decisions that mean we're short of readies, even if he didn't have much say in them. He must have known he was likely to be on a restricted budget since the end of last season, so any of the rumoured grumbling was purely window dressing

Why? There seems to have been a financial cock-up at the club and Cook believed he had a bigger budget. We wouldnt have been chasing Higdon all summer otherwise. I heard Cook wanted Higdon, Boco, Featherstone and one other until the bad news broke.

#22 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

View Postpaulwardle, on 21 July 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

What a complete load of twaddle being talked about.

We have a budget and unless Dave Allen sticks his hand in his pocket that's the end of it.

Only thing that I struggle with as far as Dave Allen is concerned is the fact that we dont have more supporters.

Times are hard and peoples budgets are tight, not everyone can afford to come week in week out even if they wanted to, hence why our home attendances were down, probably along with many other Clubs struggling to make ends meet.

Whilst not being possibly hands on you would expect the owner of the club to know about the effect of lower than expected attendances and player bonus payments. OK the concert was a stab in the dark, but here's a man that hasn't made his money through the lottery or something similar, he's done it through business so whilst I can accept he now wants to keep a tight ship, I struggle with the concept that he didn't know it was coming.

#23 User is offline   SpireRam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 21 July 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

Why? There seems to have been a financial cock-up at the club and Cook believed he had a bigger budget. We wouldnt have been chasing Higdon all summer otherwise. I heard Cook wanted Higdon, Boco, Featherstone and one other until the bad news broke.

That's who I myself predicted we would sign. Obviously before the bad news broke.
I would have been really happy and confident going into next season with those additions, too.
I've said before, surely the boat would be worth pushing out for those and the positives would outweigh the consequences.
Boco for one I believe would play with PC for peanuts and I believe if anything will still sign.

#24 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 21 July 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Whilst not being possibly hands on you would expect the owner of the club to know about the effect of lower than expected attendances and player bonus payments. OK the concert was a stab in the dark, but here's a man that hasn't made his money through the lottery or something similar, he's done it through business so whilst I can accept he now wants to keep a tight ship, I struggle with the concept that he didn't know it was coming.

I get the impression he's looking for an exit, but hard to find someone prepared to buy him out

#25 User is online   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

View Posth again, on 21 July 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

He must have known he was likely to be on a restricted budget since the end of last season, so any of the rumoured grumbling was purely window dressing

I'm led to believe that the vote on payment of interest payments to Directors was not taken until last week's meeting. I don't know the result, but I guess that they voted to pay themselves, thus frustrating DA and down the line, PC. If they didn't and the budget was still shaved then we have big problems. Also, it's time people stopped deifying DA as the sole life saver. David Jones has put in nearly £1m.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#26 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 July 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'm led to believe that the vote on payment of interest payments to Directors was not taken until last week's meeting. I don't know the result, but I guess that they voted to pay themselves, thus frustrating DA and down the line, PC. If they didn't and the budget was still shaved then we have big problems. Also, it's time people stopped deifying DA as the sole life saver. David Jones has put in nearly £1m.

given or loaned?

#27 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Because PC isn't a fool and must have been aware that the projected gates of 7000 hadn't been anywhere near met. In his position I'd have been wanting to know every week how the finances were working out, because after DA he's the one with the most vested interest.
The loss on the concerts would have been the last straw, but he must have had an idea before that, and since then he knows what he's facing.
A big test for him, but I think he'll rise to the challenge.
What I really can't get my head round is the bloated backroom staff in the current financial situation.

#28 User is online   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 21 July 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

given or loaned?

loaned
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#29 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 21 July 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Agree. The idea that all financial matters are left solely to Chris Turner leaving Allen and the rest of the Board completely in the dark and having no input whatsoever is frankly not believable. I would say the multi- millionaire Dave Allen is in total control and understanding of every financial aspect of the club . He holds the purse and he calls the shots not Chris Turner.

#30 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

If Boco and Featherstone are not involved against Leeds, then that is an indication of what money we have or haven't got as they will look elsewhere if there is no money available for contracts at Chesterfield and not waste their time still playing with us.
Have passport will travel

#31 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 21 July 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

If Boco and Featherstone are not involved against Leeds, then that is an indication of what money we have or haven't got as they will look elsewhere if there is no money available for contracts at Chesterfield and not waste their time still playing with us.

Probably likely to be turning out for another side this week on trial seeing as we don't have a game

#32 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 July 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

loaned

for what purpose might I ask?

#33 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 21 July 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

As a business person to get a return on his investment

#34 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 21 July 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

As a business person to get a return on his investment

Boy, at what cost in terms of risk? The chances of him fully recovering the full sum is by no means certain. I am sure his investment is more swayed by loyalty to the club than return on investment.

#35 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 21 July 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

Boy, at what cost in terms of risk? The chances of him fully recovering the full sum is by no means certain. I am sure his investment is more swayed by loyalty to the club than return on investment.

True, but why take his interest payment(allegedly) when he knows we need the money for new players

#36 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 21 July 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Could Cook resign?

His stock is currently high and he'd find another gig with ease; but in six month's time? Season's end?

My gut feeling is it's not imminent, however I wouldn't be surprised if it's crossed his mind.

I'm sure Cook's disappointed, but his standard of living's not going to change in the short term.

He's got the luxury of a 2 year deal, he'll not be in a big rush to resign!

#37 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Elton John 1866 said:

1405978553[/url]' post='1023475']

to help the club,while getting a return on his money, and he probably can't afford to lose over£1,000,000.
A new hope.

#38 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

MDCCCLXVI said:

1405965392[/url]' post='1023359']
Could Cook resign?

His stock is currently high and he'd find another gig with ease; but in six month's time? Season's end?
My gut feeling is it's not imminent, however I wouldn't be surprised if it's crossed his mind.

WillPC resign? Not a chance. He may have won the league, but he is still a young manager, and will have to prove himself at this level if he wants a gig at a bigger club.
We're he to finish mid table and maybe have a good run in one of the big cups then he would be popping up on bigger clubs radar - but there are only 92 clubs, would he get anything better than what he has now?
A new hope.

#39 User is offline   semi130497 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 21 July 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Could Cook resign?

Of course its crossed his mind, but he wont resign right now, he wants a pay off if he has to leave, he has to pay the bills just like the rest of us.

It is all very depressing I see 2 possibilites

1) He fails through no fault of his own due to a pitiful budget, gets sack and pay off, and then gets a league 2 / big blue square conference club job on the back of his league 2 title success with us.

OR

2) He works a minor miracle and has relative success against the odds on said pitiful budget like McFarland did. In which case he will jump ship and take Leam Richardson with him at the 1st opportunity (wouldn't blame him) leaving us with a new manager who will need time to get to know the players. Unlike McFarland he isn't a veteran manager looking for 1 last job to boost his pension pot, he is an ambitious young manager wanting to get on.

How did we get here? I know we haven't just survived near extinction like we did post Darren Brown, but all the stuff about needing to survive in league 1 against the odds with no money FEELS much the same (yes I know there are great differences but the feeling is the same)

Sorry to be a moaner.
Everyone thinks forgiveness is a lovely idea until they have something to forgive

#40 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

View Postsemi130497, on 22 July 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Of course its crossed his mind, but he wont resign right now, he wants a pay off if he has to leave, he has to pay the bills just like the rest of us.

It is all very depressing I see 2 possibilites

1) He fails through no fault of his own due to a pitiful budget, gets sack and pay off, and then gets a league 2 / big blue square conference club job on the back of his league 2 title success with us.

OR

2) He works a minor miracle and has relative success against the odds on said pitiful budget like McFarland did. In which case he will jump ship and take Leam Richardson with him at the 1st opportunity (wouldn't blame him) leaving us with a new manager who will need time to get to know the players. Unlike McFarland he isn't a veteran manager looking for 1 last job to boost his pension pot, he is an ambitious young manager wanting to get on.

How did we get here? I know we haven't just survived near extinction like we did post Darren Brown, but all the stuff about needing to survive in league 1 against the odds with no money FEELS much the same (yes I know there are great differences but the feeling is the same)

Sorry to be a moaner.

Glad you said 'FEELS' because there is not the remotest similarity but reading the suicide notes on here you could believe that .

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users