• You cannot reply to this topic

Higdon

#21 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

View Postharboroughspireite, on 05 July 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'. A large crisis requires a large plan. Get me two pencils and a pair of underpants.

Ladies and gents, welcome to history repeating itself

I am bolstered by Cook's remark that Craig Davies will not be with us AT THE START OF THE SEASON.

#22 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

View Postnot_the_freak, on 05 July 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

People saying we NEED a mega bucks striker makes me wonder how we did so well with jonny Howard, reevsey, ect... Cos they weren't on £6k a week that's for sure!

I thought Reeves was earning £3K a week back in 2000, some 14 years ago!

#23 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostBeelzebub, on 05 July 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

Marc Richards was crucified by some posters on here because they believed rumours that he was on 4k per week , imagine those same posters reaction if we signed Higdon on considerably more than that and he didn't hit the ground running. He's better off out of it.

It's not the fans' fault if a player (or manager) fails to fulfil the spin surrounding him.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#24 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

View Postfreelander2, on 05 July 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

I thought Reeves was earning £3K a week back in 2000, some 14 years ago!

Really?? Jesus. How did we afford that?

Edit:
I meant before the brown era. Was gonna say roger harry willis aswell but only just remembered his name

This post has been edited by not_the_freak: 05 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Here we go again!

#25 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

View Postfreelander2, on 05 July 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

How can you say that we were paying double what Rico was worth?

Rico signed for us having achieved about a goal every three games for Port Vale. Strikers, like him, don't get out of bed for the type of money that you think he's worth. I suspect he's signed for Northampton on similar wages to what he was on up here, so that's another club/manager that's got their valuation wrong.

If we're in the market for a £6K a week striker, let's hope he scores more goals than Rico, otherwise some supporters will be left feeling a little embarrassed!

I wouldn't have thought there was a snowball in bells chance we would pay 300k plus a year on a player.

View Postfrearsghost, on 05 July 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

I am bolstered by Cook's remark that Craig Davies will not be with us AT THE START OF THE SEASON.

By all accounts it's Allen that wants him not cook

#26 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Aren't both parties aware of the financial parameters at the outset and if the divide is so great as to make it none negotiable why bother?
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#27 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 05 July 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Aren't both parties aware of the financial parameters at the outset and if the divide is so great as to make it none negotiable why bother?

perhaps it suits as it shows CFC as looking at high profile players with a track record...suits Higdon as it spreads his availability amongst other clubs

#28 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostBeelzebub, on 05 July 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

Marc Richards was crucified by some posters on here because they believed rumours that he was on 4k per week , imagine those same posters reaction if we signed Higdon on considerably more than that and he didn't hit the ground running. He's better off out of it.

Fear of failure? No thanks.

#29 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostSpired, on 05 July 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

perhaps it suits as it shows CFC as looking at high profile players with a track record...suits Higdon as it spreads his availability amongst other clubs

A bit OTT people who's business it is to know will know

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#30 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Reevesy was on plenty back in the day I'm sure!

#31 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 05 July 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

@ForzaNECnl: NEC, Michael Higdon en Chesterfield kwamen gisteren opnieuw niet tot een overeenkomst. Weer waren geldzaken het probleem. #transfer

If anyone is up on Dutch

Double dutch!

#32 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 05 July 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

It's not the fans' fault if a player (or manager) fails to fulfil the spin surrounding him.

So you're happy with the way that Richards was treated by posters on here and some 'supporters' at matches are you?

It wasn't the player's fault that lies about his wages were spread on here and elsewhere. The 'spin' didn't come from the player or the club but from ill informed guesswork from the ignorentsia on here.

If you burden a player with unrealistic expectations you are blighting their town career and almost begging them to fail.

#33 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

It looks as though any deal for Higdon is now dead in the water much like the Boco scenario and the club will now move for it's net target.

#34 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostRodney, on 05 July 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

he club will now move for it's net target.

Like what you did there :D

You may be right. I'm certain all the eggs weren't in one basket. Considerable funds had been set aside for Higdon, if he doesn't come they will be spent elsewhere. Who knows, it may prove fortuitous.

#35 User is offline   SpireRam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'm not worried about a repeat of the 2011 season..

😩😩😩

#36 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostGoku, on 05 July 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

So basically never pay players big wages cos a few posters on Bobs Board will criticise your performances for that reason. Sod that, spend the money we need to get the players we need to progress at our football club.

Doesnt matter if you've never heard of him. Look at his strike rate, he would be a great signing and I'm sure he could play the lone striker role very well. He's a big lad with the added bonus of not just being a big lad (like say Parkin). We've missed out hugely if this is true. Can you say "Clayton Donaldson 2011"?

Donaldson scored only 11 goals in 51 appearances in 11-12. Would his presence have saved our season? He wouldn't have stopped all those goals we conceded that's for sure.

#37 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

My point was that we spent ages lusting after Donaldson and didn't get him and now it looks like the same thing is happening with Higdon. I really hope we have other irons in the fire.

#38 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostGoku, on 05 July 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

My point was that we spent ages lusting after Donaldson and didn't get him and now it looks like the same thing is happening with Higdon. I really hope we have other irons in the fire.

We will mate. Don't worry about it. We have Parkin on back up don't forget!
Here we go again!

#39 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

I think it is plain to see Higdon would cost us loads and rightly so with his track record

Unless we were playing complete silly beggars with Higdon it is also plain to see that there is plenty left in the budget no matter what is reported

So let's move to plan B, hopefully that won't be a loanee at the end of the transfer window after the die is cast
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#40 User is offline   newboldsteve 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 05 July 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

I'm guessing you meant me as one of them ;)

Most didn't and still don't get my argument. Rico was way over valued in wage terms to his ability. When we first went in for him I was up for his signature, then we got into a bidding war for his services and naturally he and his agent are then in the driving seat. Rico is a good player for somebody with a bit of money in the bottom tier for about 1.5K - 2K a week (tops), but as somebody that's seen enough of him, knew he wasn't worth offering him the world to get him to sign, he was never that sort of player (and so it proved). Basically we we're paying him double what he was ever worth. Would you be happy if we paid Scott Boden 3K a week when he was with us? (same argument).

I also said last time when we were in league one, that if we are going to buy a proven striker at this level then wage wise we have to stump up at least 5-6K a week and I still believe that. So we either go down the proven route or we take a punt on somebody that could hopefully make it at this level.

Higdon? I don't know anything about him other than a few snippets that we've gleaned so can't comment on whether he's worth it or not; but if we are buying a quality striker then I'm afraid that's what it costs. What I don't want to see is the club get desperate and spend an absolute fortune of a wage on an average Joe of a striker as we did before (and I said all this before Rico signed, not after watching how average he was for us).

Basically if we can't afford that sort of wage we should shop elsewhere. If we can (which is doubtful with the sounds of things) and IF (big if as we don't know him) he's worth it, then we should try to agree a deal as 6K isn't over the top for a quality striker at this level, whereas Rico wasn't quality and 4-4.5K in the level below is like paying 8-10K this (basically very few and far between players earn that sort of money and if they do then they need to be damn bl@@dy good at their job).
So my question on Rico is still the same, what were we thinking of paying that sort of money for an average to good league two striker? He's certainly not quality at that level. We could have signed an good to average striker and still had the wages left over to sign another good player, that was always my gripe and this was pre him signing. I reckon a lot of town fans remember the one game, other than that they don't know a quality striker when they see one, because Rico certainly isn't one and we certainly paid for one.

rico was quality scored 20 plus goals a season before he came to us under a different manager with a different style of play . brought in by js to play in a system that suited him only for js to get the sack 3 games into the season so to say you were proved right that he wasn't quality is rollox it may be right to say he wasn't a quality lone striker but went he was brought in he wouldn't have been on his own up front

Share this topic:

• (76 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users