• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Higdon

#1 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

@seantaylorpress: According to Dutch club @NEC_Nijmegen, @ChesterfieldFC have been unable to agree personal terms with Michael Higdon #spireites

@seantaylorpress: RE: @ChesterfieldFC & Higdon
I suspect something could be lost in translation & NEC mean #spireites may have had an offer rejected.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#2 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Phil V 72, on 04 July 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

@seantaylorpress: According to Dutch club @NEC_Nijmegen, @ChesterfieldFC have been unable to agree personal terms with Michael Higdon #spireites

@seantaylorpress: RE: @ChesterfieldFC & Higdon
I suspect something could be lost in translation & NEC mean #spireites may have had an offer rejected.

If he agreed terms to terminate his contract we wouldn't have to make an offer
East stand second class citizen.

#3 User is offline   BozaSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:26 AM

Well least we'll one season in league 1

#4 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

@ForzaNECnl: NEC, Michael Higdon en Chesterfield kwamen gisteren opnieuw niet tot een overeenkomst. Weer waren geldzaken het probleem. #transfer

If anyone is up on Dutch
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#5 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Bad news if true. I was told that he was on 6k a week though in Holland so not overly surprising.

#6 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

Looking forward to the "there's still time" mob

Too many similarities to 2011 for me
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#7 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'. A large crisis requires a large plan. Get me two pencils and a pair of underpants.

Ladies and gents, welcome to history repeating itself

This post has been edited by harboroughspireite: 05 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

#8 User is offline   StaffsSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

To be honest if true about his current wages etc I aint that disappointed. Dont want the club spending silly wages on someone I must admit had never even heard of a few weeks ago. Let him go elsewhere.

#9 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

Stokespireite, on 05 July 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

To be honest if true about his current wages etc I aint that disappointed. Dont want the club spending silly wages on someone I must admit had never even heard of a few weeks ago. Let him go elsewhere.

Marc Richards was crucified by some posters on here because they believed rumours that he was on 4k per week , imagine those same posters reaction if we signed Higdon on considerably more than that and he didn't hit the ground running. He's better off out of it.

#10 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

Whether you had ever heard of him matters little. He is PC's prime target and he was Scottish Footballer of the Year very recently. So, given his goal scoring record, if we fail to capture him, it will be very disappointing. I doubt PC has drawn a line through this yet. Conjecture about his wages in Holland is plain silly. Very few outsiders know anything of players wages notwithstanding that many claim to.

#11 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

BozaSpireite, on 05 July 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

Well least we'll one season in league 1

Spreekt u Engels?

#12 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Beelzebub, on 05 July 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

Marc Richards was crucified by some posters on here because they believed rumours that he was on 4k per week , imagine those same posters reaction if we signed Higdon on considerably more than that and he didn't hit the ground running. He's better off out of it.

So basically never pay players big wages cos a few posters on Bobs Board will criticise your performances for that reason. Sod that, spend the money we need to get the players we need to progress at our football club.

Doesnt matter if you've never heard of him. Look at his strike rate, he would be a great signing and I'm sure he could play the lone striker role very well. He's a big lad with the added bonus of not just being a big lad (like say Parkin). We've missed out hugely if this is true. Can you say "Clayton Donaldson 2011"?

This post has been edited by Goku: 05 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

#13 User is offline   StaffsSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

plannerj, on 05 July 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

Whether you had ever heard of him matters little. He is PC's prime target and he was Scottish Footballer of the Year very recently. So, given his goal scoring record, if we fail to capture him, it will be very disappointing. I doubt PC has drawn a line through this yet. Conjecture about his wages in Holland is plain silly. Very few outsiders know anything of players wages notwithstanding that many claim to.

No I agree with you. I only said IF his wages reported were that large I wouldnt want him...... like you say nobody knows for certain. If we can get him on a reasonable wage Id be more than happy. Certainly sounds like the type of player we need.

#14 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Beelzebub, on 05 July 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

I'm guessing you meant me as one of them ;)

Most didn't and still don't get my argument. Rico was way over valued in wage terms to his ability. When we first went in for him I was up for his signature, then we got into a bidding war for his services and naturally he and his agent are then in the driving seat. Rico is a good player for somebody with a bit of money in the bottom tier for about 1.5K - 2K a week (tops), but as somebody that's seen enough of him, knew he wasn't worth offering him the world to get him to sign, he was never that sort of player (and so it proved). Basically we we're paying him double what he was ever worth. Would you be happy if we paid Scott Boden 3K a week when he was with us? (same argument).

I also said last time when we were in league one, that if we are going to buy a proven striker at this level then wage wise we have to stump up at least 5-6K a week and I still believe that. So we either go down the proven route or we take a punt on somebody that could hopefully make it at this level.

Higdon? I don't know anything about him other than a few snippets that we've gleaned so can't comment on whether he's worth it or not; but if we are buying a quality striker then I'm afraid that's what it costs. What I don't want to see is the club get desperate and spend an absolute fortune of a wage on an average Joe of a striker as we did before (and I said all this before Rico signed, not after watching how average he was for us).

Basically if we can't afford that sort of wage we should shop elsewhere. If we can (which is doubtful with the sounds of things) and IF (big if as we don't know him) he's worth it, then we should try to agree a deal as 6K isn't over the top for a quality striker at this level, whereas Rico wasn't quality and 4-4.5K in the level below is like paying 8-10K this (basically very few and far between players earn that sort of money and if they do then they need to be damn bl@@dy good at their job).
So my question on Rico is still the same, what were we thinking of paying that sort of money for an average to good league two striker? He's certainly not quality at that level. We could have signed an good to average striker and still had the wages left over to sign another good player, that was always my gripe and this was pre him signing. I reckon a lot of town fans remember the one game, other than that they don't know a quality striker when they see one, because Rico certainly isn't one and we certainly paid for one.
#notapennymore

#15 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

I think the main problem when we signed Marc Richards, was how Dave Allen was calling him a marquee signing. Everybody expected him to be a lot better than he turned out to be. Reported as brilliant 20+ goal season striker, actually average 12+ goal a season striker (especially if you don't win any penalties!!!)

#16 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

lindo-spireite, on 05 July 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

@ForzaNECnl: NEC, Michael Higdon en Chesterfield kwamen gisteren opnieuw niet tot een overeenkomst. Weer waren geldzaken het probleem. #transfer

If anyone is up on Dutch

Literal translation from Google is,
@ ForzaNECnl NEC, Michael Higdon and Chesterfield came back out yesterday to an agreement. Weather finances were the problem. # transfer

So in English both sides backed out of a deal and the conjecture is that finances were the sticking point

#17 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

People saying we NEED a mega bucks striker makes me wonder how we did so well with jonny Howard, reevsey, ect... Cos they weren't on £6k a week that's for sure!

Yes we need at least 1 more body up top and maybe a decent loanee but do we need to throw £300k odd at it on wages for 1 player?

It's always a gamble cos you could end up with another Jason lee or Marc Richards to an extent. Then your screwed
Here we go again!

#18 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

If it's true that we're close to the limit of our wage budget, then we don't have much alternative but to back out of expensive deals unless DA or someone else pumps more money into the club, or we sell one or two better players.

It's disappointing, but what option do we have?

Generally recruitment policy has been good and we've picked up some bargains. But thinking of the signing of Banks and Gardner, they came out of nowhere however and I wonder how long these deals took. As fans, we weren't really paying attention to transfers at that time, we weren't stressing about whether they would or wouldn't sign.

Perhaps PC and co are moving at the pace they always have, it's the impatience of fandom that's different at the moment.

As to ''mistakes of 2011' - well, there are similarities in recruitment, but the current squad, in terms of age and playing style are very different. We also have a manager who has an opportunity to over-achieve and succeed despite the odds.

I admit I'm concerned but we are where we are
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#19 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

Spireite-Karl, on 05 July 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

I'm guessing you meant me as one of them ;)

Most didn't and still don't get my argument. Rico was way over valued in wage terms to his ability. When we first went in for him I was up for his signature, then we got into a bidding war for his services and naturally he and his agent are then in the driving seat. Rico is a good player for somebody with a bit of money in the bottom tier for about 1.5K - 2K a week (tops), but as somebody that's seen enough of him, knew he wasn't worth offering him the world to get him to sign, he was never that sort of player (and so it proved). Basically we we're paying him double what he was ever worth. Would you be happy if we paid Scott Boden 3K a week when he was with us? (same argument).

I also said last time when we were in league one, that if we are going to buy a proven striker at this level then wage wise we have to stump up at least 5-6K a week and I still believe that. So we either go down the proven route or we take a punt on somebody that could hopefully make it at this level.

Higdon? I don't know anything about him other than a few snippets that we've gleaned so can't comment on whether he's worth it or not; but if we are buying a quality striker then I'm afraid that's what it costs. What I don't want to see is the club get desperate and spend an absolute fortune of a wage on an average Joe of a striker as we did before (and I said all this before Rico signed, not after watching how average he was for us).

Basically if we can't afford that sort of wage we should shop elsewhere. If we can (which is doubtful with the sounds of things) and IF (big if as we don't know him) he's worth it, then we should try to agree a deal as 6K isn't over the top for a quality striker at this level, whereas Rico wasn't quality and 4-4.5K in the level below is like paying 8-10K this (basically very few and far between players earn that sort of money and if they do then they need to be damn bl@@dy good at their job).
So my question on Rico is still the same, what were we thinking of paying that sort of money for an average to good league two striker? He's certainly not quality at that level. We could have signed an good to average striker and still had the wages left over to sign another good player, that was always my gripe and this was pre him signing. I reckon a lot of town fans remember the one game, other than that they don't know a quality striker when they see one, because Rico certainly isn't one and we certainly paid for one.

How can you say that we were paying double what Rico was worth?

Rico signed for us having achieved about a goal every three games for Port Vale. Strikers, like him, don't get out of bed for the type of money that you think he's worth. I suspect he's signed for Northampton on similar wages to what he was on up here, so that's another club/manager that's got their valuation wrong.

If we're in the market for a £6K a week striker, let's hope he scores more goals than Rico, otherwise some supporters will be left feeling a little embarrassed!

#20 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

So it sounds like plan A has failed. We've been assured there is a plan B, so let's see how that pans out before we commit mass metaphorical suicide.

Share this topic:

• (76 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users