Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Future Of The Academy - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Future Of The Academy

#41 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 07 November 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

It's really not fit for purpose though is it?
The idea of an academy is a route to first team football at the relevant club or to make future professionals. (Not provide jobs for coaches or admin staff).
As Town are now established semi-pro / non league and look like staying for a while whilst Sheridan is in the big office the Academy is an expensive luxury.

Certainly not justifiable in the current predicament.

I think the central funding and category status lends itself to a bloated setup in terms of staff and in some cases, open to abuse.

Based on Moondog's figures that it is currently losing £150K per annum, without the funding that annual loss will be closer to £350K.

I am sympathetic to the issue and like most things the academy is certainly a victim of the bigger picture.

#42 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

It is a poor Academy to say the least and to hear it's losing £150k a year is truly shocking

Having said that I attended a coaching event with Miguel Liera and a more geezer you couldn't meet

*nicer

#43 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

Any prospective new owners will have decisions to make and the future of the Academy will be one of them, no doubt.

However, I've often wondered if it would not be a more worthwhile exercise to run a reserve side in a decent league instead. No additional coaches should be required, we regularly hear about players not getting games or even making the bench because of the size of the first team squad, players could be trialled in games more competitive than friendly matches, and, when required, players should be closer to match fitness when required by the first team.

#44 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

View Postdtp, on 07 November 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

Any prospective new owners will have decisions to make and the future of the Academy will be one of them, no doubt.

However, I've often wondered if it would not be a more worthwhile exercise to run a reserve side in a decent league instead. No additional coaches should be required, we regularly hear about players not getting games or even making the bench because of the size of the first team squad, players could be trialled in games more competitive than friendly matches, and, when required, players should be closer to match fitness when required by the first team.

The problem here being "decent league" the choice is limited. Donny, Mansfield and 4others make up a league of 6. Otherwise for Saturday football it would be the Central Mids, playing in the hills above Belper one week and then in the middle of a housing estate in Ashfield the next
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#45 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

A well run academy isn’t all about getting a single gem to flog for millions.

Obviously that is fantastic but what you need is a drip feed of players coming through that can add genuine strength in depth to your squad and being first team options.

Someone earlier quoted Forest, among a host of other clubs with academies, that weren’t bringing anything through their system.

Cash, Brereton, Osborn, Worrall are names that immediately come to mind of the past couple of years. All graduates of their academy and all regular first team players.

Going back further, Michael Dawson, Andy Reid, Jermaine Jenas, Lewis MGugan, Marlon Harewood to name a few.

Forest have a very lucrative academy to be fair.

#46 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

View Postmoondog, on 07 November 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

We have a decent up and coming keeper in Kurtis England, been waiting patiently for his chance, played a blinder in the earlier game against Burton yet didn't keep the shirt. Instead Wharton gets 2 games in 3 days. Better managenent needed all around I reckon

Do you know if the education programme is delivered from SBK's premises?

#47 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 06 November 2019 - 10:22 PM, said:

Yet another sad inditement against the crass incompetence that's seen a once in a lifetime opportunity utterly squandered.....

That really is hitting the nail on the head.

The new ground really was that opportunity. How many people said things like “my parents have started going again after 20 odd years” how many new young fans started going? Kids walking around town in blue town shirts in numbers un heard of? A brand of football that really was a joy to watch. Crowds averaging 7000 for the first time since 1981? There really was a build up of momentum, certainly it felt like it from the stands.

And then the storm broke. What had been just rumours burst out, a steady stream of scandals making the national press, resignations at the AGM, forced resignations of other board members, bewildering off field decisions, even more bewildering managerial appointments, 5 consecutive relegation battles, two relegations, non league football, eye watering levels of debts making the club insolvent in all but name. The club being for sale, then not for sale, then back for sale, lies deceptions, families left hundreds of pounds out of pocket, CCJs and so much more that has been well documented- has, literally taken the wind out of the clubs sails and the club cast adrift. Any momentum gone. Any enthusiasm gone, and any fight from the fan base ground to dust and blown away on the wind.
A new hope.

#48 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

Sure I've read this somewhere before...

#49 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:34 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 07 November 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

It's really not fit for purpose though is it?
The idea of an academy is a route to first team football at the relevant club or to make future professionals. (Not provide jobs for coaches or admin staff).
As Town are now established semi-pro / non league and look like staying for a while whilst Sheridan is in the big office the Academy is an expensive luxury.

Certainly not justifiable in the current predicament.

On the contrary, the lower we sink the higher the number of Academy players that will make the grade. This could be the Carson/Coe masterplan.

Are Glossop North End better than Glossop South End?
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#50 User is online   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

View Postdim view, on 07 November 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

On the contrary, the lower we sink the higher the number of Academy players that will make the grade. This could be the Carson/Coe masterplan.

Are Glossop North End better than Glossop South End?

Of course it is easy to forget that Glossop North End are a former top flight club...
Peter Whiteley

#51 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

View Postdalekpete, on 07 November 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

Of course it is easy to forget that Glossop North End are a former top flight club...

But they are not PNE.
lindave

#52 User is online   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

View Postlindave, on 07 November 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

But they are not PNE.

Yes when they were promoted to the old first division they actually dropped the North End title to avoid confusion. They re-installed that part of their name after they were relegated. The decline set in after Samuel Hill-Wood left to invest in Arsenal. Always odd that their record attendance was against the other "North End".
Peter Whiteley

#53 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

A call from 'Deepthroat' adds to conjecture over the Academy's axing.

Infact he reckons there could be confirmation as early as next week.

Which if true will be truly sad.

Sad for all the players and parents seeing their dreams dashed.

Sad for all the staff and coaches seeing their efforts ended (well, the non-crony ones, anyway).

Sad for an entire community seeing their talented lads heading off to join local rivals instead.

And saddest of all for a once proud football club taking yet another step towards sub-Saltergate standards.

But I can't help feeling a perverse sense of irony.

Because the Steve Coe who clearly coveted a senior position despite insisting otherwise on here, who cultivated a relationship with Carson regardless of circumstance or consequence, who was then rewarded with a role running the youth set-up alongside a fancy-assed title and who fronted a video telling everyone how well things were going only a few short months ago becomes the bloke overseeing it's demise.

Which seems so, so symptomatic of the current crew...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#54 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 08 November 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

<br />A call from 'Deepthroat' adds to conjecture over the Academy's axing.<br /><br />Infact he reckons there could be confirmation as early as next week.<br /><br />Which if true will be truly sad.<br /><br />Sad for all the players and parents seeing their dreams dashed. <br /><br />Sad for all the staff and coaches seeing their efforts ended (well, the non-crony ones, anyway). <br /><br />Sad for an entire community seeing their talented lads heading off to join local rivals instead. <br /><br />And saddest of all for a once proud football club taking yet another step towards sub-Saltergate standards.<br /><br />But I can't help feeling a perverse sense of irony.<br /><br />Because the Steve Coe who clearly coveted a senior position despite insisting otherwise on here, who cultivated a relationship with Carson regardless of circumstance or consequence, who was then rewarded with a role running the youth set-up alongside a fancy-assed title and who fronted a video telling everyone how well things were going only a few short months ago becomes the bloke overseeing it's demise.<br /><br />Which seems so, so symptomatic of the current crew...<br />
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />Have they become 'The cutting crew 'from Sheffield.

This post has been edited by DIFH: 10 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

God I hate this league.

#55 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 08 November 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

A call from 'Deepthroat' adds to conjecture over the Academy's axing.

Infact he reckons there could be confirmation as early as next week.

Which if true will be truly sad.

Sad for all the players and parents seeing their dreams dashed.

Sad for all the staff and coaches seeing their efforts ended (well, the non-crony ones, anyway).

Sad for an entire community seeing their talented lads heading off to join local rivals instead.

And saddest of all for a once proud football club taking yet another step towards sub-Saltergate standards.

But I can't help feeling a perverse sense of irony.

Because the Steve Coe who clearly coveted a senior position despite insisting otherwise on here, who cultivated a relationship with Carson regardless of circumstance or consequence, who was then rewarded with a role running the youth set-up alongside a fancy-assed title and who fronted a video telling everyone how well things were going only a few short months ago becomes the bloke overseeing it's demise.

Which seems so, so symptomatic of the current crew...

Chris, if I'm not wrong Deepthroat has been passing information on to you for years. Again, if I'm not wrong sometimes this information has proved to be correct and sometimes otherwise.

You, yourself, use the words "if true". Do you have reason to doubt him or what?

#56 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

View Postdtp, on 10 November 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

Chris, if I'm not wrong Deepthroat has been passing information on to you for years. Again, if I'm not wrong sometimes this information has proved to be correct and sometimes otherwise.

You, yourself, use the words "if true". Do you have reason to doubt him or what?

Surely the balance of evidence is weighted heavily by the lack of a £150,000 grant next season, not just what Deepthroat has said.

#57 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

I'm informed a decision on the future of the academy isn't imminent given takeover talks are ongoing but an update will be provided by Steve Coe in Saturday's match programme

#58 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

View Postmoondog, on 10 November 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

I'm informed a decision on the future of the academy isn't imminent given takeover talks are ongoing but an update will be provided by Steve Coe in Saturday's match programme

Thanks Moondog.

In my post, on the 7th of the month on this thread, I suggested that any future new owners will have a decision to make regarding the academy.

It's good to think that takeover talks are ongoing and, as such, it's logical that no major decisions should be made about the future running of the club etc until the conclusion of these talks or, unless, fully agreed by all parties.

#59 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

View Postmoondog, on 10 November 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

If Dave and Ashley own the club next season, will there be an academy?

#60 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

View PostBlue5, on 10 November 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

If Dave and Ashley own the club next season, will there be an academy?

The speculation would suggest not but promotion cannot yet be ruled out

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users