• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Takeover Talks

#201 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:34 PM

Your post suggests the CFC books are much more of a morass than most may be aware...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#202 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

View Postdim view, on 17 November 2019 - 09:52 PM, said:

<br />-I know nowt about these rumours, mainly 'cos I'm so demotivated I can't be assed to ask questions. One thing I will say though. Any consortium that is thinking of asking fans to chip in will get short shrift from me if they also stipulate that the same fans can't have full disclosure of the historical accounts. The thought of Carson skipping off up Whitt Moor into the sunset with a non disclosure agreement under his arm makes me want to puke.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'd take the non disclosure agreement if it enabled a consortium success.

Would such disclosures be to the benefit of the new consortium. Would there be any real enthusiasm from the authorities to pursue the issues of this terrible tenure. Then lets not forget HMRC.
God I hate this league.

#203 User is offline   Close but no prawn sarnies 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

I am merely assuming that in addition to the sum required to purchase the club combined with the future on going running costs still remains a substantial figure. Obtaining a full commitment to it is a big ask. We love our club but Could/would we bank roll it when push came to shove?

#204 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

I think a new consortium would quickly identify where the leaks are and plug them accordingly. Maybe there could be a few years of austerity. Would we mind that if the club survived?

#205 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

I'd take a relegation as long as it meant we would be completely rid of this lot.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#206 User is offline   peakblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

Me too

#207 User is offline   SpireiteFitzy 

• The Inglorious One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield fc

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:59 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 19 November 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

I'd take a relegation as long as it meant we would be completely rid of this lot.

IMO unless the new guys are completely loaded the club wouldn't survive another relegation. The sheer amount of money you would lose sustaining a club this size at that level would be too much.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

#208 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 19 November 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

IMO unless the new guys are completely loaded the club wouldn't survive another relegation. The sheer amount of money you would lose sustaining a club this size at that level would be too much.

Why would it? Surely much of it depends on wages. The reported 1.2m bill would be hefty for Conference North but a lot of the dire squad we have now are out of contract in summer, so that can surely be reduced significantly. Lifting from the pinned thread, these are:

Jalal, Wedgbury, Shaw, Denton, Smith, Sharman, Rawson, Boden, Wakefield, Weir, Hollis, Sheridan, Render, Holmes, Fondop
....which leaves Rowley, Amantchi, Maguire, Weston, Evans, Mandeville, McKay, Coddington, Gerrard, Yarney, Buchanan

Add a few players on Conference North wages to those left under contract, and surely that is sustainable given the crowds we would get even at that low level?

My dream would be for a new consortium to bring in Paul Tisdale to build up the club, but in reality any honest group would do, providing they have a decent financial plan.

(Can't believe I'm having to discuss Conference North as if it is a real possibility but here we are).

This post has been edited by Siberian Spireite: 19 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

These go to eleven.

#209 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 19 November 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

I disagree, income (until recently) has never been the clubs problem, outgoing has.

Any new consortium, if they've done their homework, would know that gates receipts and non-match day spend would increase dramatically overnight if (when?) the Sheffield Mafia are sent skipping back up the A61.

As has been pointed out many times on here, our income is or was on a par with many L1 clubs, clubs who seem to manage confortably on that income and indeed some even make a profit (seems alomost a dirty word for CFC).

With genuine and trust-worth owners in place there is no reason income at this club couldn't get back to the £6/£7M peak of a few years ago. Spend it wisely, with budgetary control & logic and build a platform to get the club back where it was (L1/2 yo yo club) over the next 10 years.

#210 User is offline   Close but no prawn sarnies 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 19 November 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

I disagree, income (until recently) has never been the clubs problem, outgoing has.

Any new consortium, if they've done their homework, would know that gates receipts and non-match day spend would increase dramatically overnight if (when?) the Sheffield Mafia are sent skipping back up the A61.

As has been pointed out many times on here, our income is or was on a par with many L1 clubs, clubs who seem to manage confortably on that income and indeed some even make a profit (seems alomost a dirty word for CFC).

With genuine and trust-worth owners in place there is no reason income at this club couldn't get back to the £6/£7M peak of a few years ago. Spend it wisely, with budgetary control & logic and build a platform to get the club back where it was (L1/2 yo yo club) over the next 10 years.

May i just correct "would know" to "would hope"

Investing £100,000s based upon hope is very different

#211 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostClose but no prawn sarnies, on 19 November 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

May i just correct "would know" to "would hope"

Investing £100,000s based upon hope is very different

I would hope new investors realise that crowds won’t pick up significantly until results and performances do.

People saying they’ll come back post DA is different from doing so, especially if the same dross is being served up.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#212 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:19 PM

View PostClose but no prawn sarnies, on 18 November 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

One would assume that it still requires a substantial investment to take over and keep things going, one could assume that those concerned may be having difficulty in raising funds and have perhaps found that relatively wealthy town fans when approached for investment are not that enthusiastic !

One could assume its not looking great.

All pure assumption of course

Personally,I think you are spot on.

#213 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

View Postazul, on 19 November 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

I would hope new investors realise that crowds won’t pick up significantly until results and performances do.

People saying they’ll come back post DA is different from doing so, especially if the same dross is being served up.

I suspect there would be an initial uplift in mood and attendances should a takeover go through but then it would need success on the pitch to ensure that it stays otherwise those returning folk will probably drift away again.

#214 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Increase in attendances increases revenue. Increase in revenue could lead to an extra player or two and a massive increase in volume support for the club.
It'd be a massive uplift for the club in so many ways if a takeover went through.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#215 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

View PostBlue5, on 19 November 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

Personally,I think you are spot on.

Now that worries me!
East stand second class citizen.

#216 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 19 November 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

Increase in attendances increases revenue. Increase in revenue could lead to an extra player or two and a massive increase in volume support for the club.
It'd be a massive uplift for the club in so many ways if a takeover went through.

Would love this happen - Lincoln style. Whoever takes over will need a substantial amount of money as a hobby. Not for the fain-hearted!

#217 User is offline   spireitedave 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Maintaining a ground of the size of ours in Conference North would be a massive challenge.
If anyone thinks promotion would be nailed on - go and watch a match at Alfreton !

#218 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:48 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 19 November 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

Now that worries me!

Am I on my own in thinking that no news and the public perception that a local/fan takeover is a possibility suits Ashley and takes the pressure off him?

#219 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

Thought for a while no news is good news, no leaks etc meant their might be something in this.
Maybe it was wishful thinking. Sad if true

#220 User is offline   Close but no prawn sarnies 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

The facts are simple.

A substantial sum of money is required to obtain the club and keep it going. The contracted players need paying as per their contracts, little income is coming through the turnstiles as walk up attendees are few, season ticket money is long gone.

Prospective buyers (and current owner) will have to cover all shortfalls in ongoing costs.

What is not a fact is gates and income will rise because of new owners, It is possible that they will continue to fall due to the totally unattractive football we are enduring.

Not a penny more fans pledging their return is encouraging but easily offset by fans simply put off by the falling standard of football on offer.

What is on the pitch motivates the vast majority of fans. Ownership antics can be overlooked when the team is successful.

We had full houses under Allen, Carson & Turner (and Daren Brown in the past) and would do so again if we were pushing for promotion in the Football League.

I crave a take over, would I invest in one? that is a very different question and one I suspect a number of well intentioned fans are now toying with.

Share this topic:

• (42 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users