Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Should A Reserve Team Now Be A Priority? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should A Reserve Team Now Be A Priority?

#2 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

We have a number of players not getting games, players returning from injury, young untested players, triallists.

All of these need regular football.

I know there were good reasons why we stopped the reserve team but are our squad players now ready for 1st team football in League 1?

Would a reserve team, playing regularly, mean we have match-fit players, ready to step in?

Would it mean recruiting more players to make up the numbers?

What do people think?
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#3 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 22 October 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

We have a number of players not getting games, players returning from injury, young untested players, triallists.

I know there were good reasons why we stopped the reserve team but are our squad players now ready for 1st team football in League 1?

Would a reserve team, playing regularly, mean we have match-fit players, ready to step in?

What do people think?

I'm sure I remember Cookie saying something like.. There's so few clubs left with reserve teams that they'd have nobody to play.
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#4 User is offline   farney 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

What do people think?

It would be a good chance for us supporters to access some of the squad weve never seen kick a ball

#5 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Resources now spent on first team and EPPP/Academies to justify a stiffs team sadly:-(

#6 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 22 October 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Resources now spent on first team and EPPP/Academies to justify a stiffs team sadly:-(

Too true in all honesty the eppp is ruining clubs like ours cat 3 academy football is gash I'm pretty sure if they had the choice they would not take kids until they were 13 and we would then have maybe a reserve team but at the end of the day you need a massive squad.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#7 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

View Postbonnyman, on 22 October 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Too true in all honesty the eppp is ruining clubs like ours cat 3 academy football is gash I'm pretty sure if they had the choice they would not take kids until they were 13 and we would then have maybe a reserve team but at the end of the day you need a massive squad.

A couple of clubs have opted out (Wycombe is one I think)- I think it will be restructured again in a couple of years as its not the best of ideas

#8 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Sorry to dig this one out again, but listening to PC's interview after Walsall and various others, I can't help but think that his emphasis on giving his fringe players game time is starting to cost us.
When he has to leave out somebody like Johnson because he's worried that whoever replaces him in a couple of weeks won't be match fit, you have to be questioning the whole set-up. Who's next to drop out to let Banks or Gardener or Boco get a run-out?
You only get match-fit by playing matches, I accept that, but surely we can't afford the luxury of possibly dropping points by starting players who aren't at their peak. From where I'm standing the need for a reserve side to ensure that anybody who gets drafted into the first team is fully match fit is getting more and more of a priority.
I know all the arguments against, and I can see the difficulty, but surely we have to do something to fill the gap.

#9 User is offline   Humpalumpa 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

What's happened to the 'behind closed doors' mid-week games either at the Proact or Cylinders ground, played a number of times during the last couple of seasons as well?
The pride of Derbyshire

#10 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

What do people think?

with the debt rising I wouldn't have thought it possible or sensible

#11 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

What do people think?

Yes we do need a reserve team playing regular games.I would like To see the 1st team squad play with a mix of the developement players we saw today.
lindave

#12 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 27 October 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

with the debt rising I wouldn't have thought it possible or sensible

It's summat we've got to progress to. Assuming we can find a reserve league that suits our purpose - local, competitive etc etc - perhaps somebody at the club could tell us how much it would cost. Perhaps sponsorship could be found, or there may even be enough of us addicts who are willing to pay extra for a reserve season ticket. If the cost is, say, £30k, then surely there might be 300 of us willing to find £100 quid. The standard of youth/development matches is excellent.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#13 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

It'd be good if we were allowed to stick a team in an established lower level non-league division. Given it doesn't seem to happen I wonder if there are rules against it.

#14 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

2 clubs from Sheffield, 2 in Nottingham, Derby, Burton, Rotherham, Doncaster, etc... and we can't arrange a series of meaningful reserve/youth team mixes?

It's a real shame that clubs in the region don't work together to keep squad players fresh and match-fit.

#15 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

This is where, amongst others, Rotherham play. Doesn't seem to be an awful lot of fixtures. Teams seem to play a mixture of first team squad players and development players.

http://www.football-...549-2034809.pdf

#16 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 October 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

This is where, amongst others, Rotherham play. Doesn't seem to be an awful lot of fixtures. Teams seem to play a mixture of first team squad players and development players.

http://www.football-...549-2034809.pdf

Great find, thanks a million.

So there is an avenue we can/could pursue - be handy for Drew and Sam as they come back from their long lay-off. It also explains why the behind closed doors game are rare as well, if clubs are committed to this.

#17 User is offline   BeastMode 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC, WWE, Tunes n Beer

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 October 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

It'd be good if we were allowed to stick a team in an established lower level non-league division. Given it doesn't seem to happen I wonder if there are rules against it.

Wouldn't that be similar to premier league clubs coming into league 1 n 2? there was massive uproar about that idea, from me included. Not a dig, just a question mate
"There is but a plank between a Sailor and eternity"

#18 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostBeastMode, on 28 October 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Wouldn't that be similar to premier league clubs coming into league 1 n 2? there was massive uproar about that idea, from me included. Not a dig, just a question mate

I tend to think reserves should play in reserve leagues with more flexible rules for subs and trialists.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#19 User is offline   BeastMode 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC, WWE, Tunes n Beer

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 28 October 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I tend to think reserves should play in reserve leagues with more flexible rules for subs and trialists.

It seems now to have gone down a route where we just organise behind closed doors games against our neighbours when we have a new trialist, wasn't the last games when Carl lamb was on trial and scored something ridiculous like 5?
"There is but a plank between a Sailor and eternity"

#20 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostBeastMode, on 28 October 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

It seems now to have gone down a route where we just organise behind closed doors games against our neighbours when we have a new trialist, wasn't the last games when Carl lamb was on trial and scored something ridiculous like 5?

No he scored them in a training match.

Maybe he'll get his chance vs Weymouth/Braintree.

#21 User is offline   Xerxes 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

View Postbrianclose, on 28 October 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

No he scored them in a training match.

against Sheffield United - so what is the difference between that and a behind closed doors game? We play a lot of these games against the local clubs but they are seldom mentioned anywhere so most people don't know they have happened - if Lamb hadn't scored against the dee dahs we would have known nothing about that game either

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users