Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Cook Not Happy After Losing - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cook Not Happy After Losing

#21 User is offline   The Rev. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Writer; Football: Boxing: Supporting the Spireites.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 21 October 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

his frustration is now being very clear of how we conceding at silly times...he us acknowledging the balance of the isn't right.
we are lost without a playmaker, we chase games to win & leaves us exposed to concede...

i have to say, the first few games with Boco & Humphries in the team, did have balance

Cook is well aware of the problems - we all are, but I wonder if the lament about being `lost without a play-maker' was brought about by his frustration at leaving Johnson out tonight and realising it was a mistake? He might also realize that chasing games to win only leaves us exposed because our full backs are too often caught out of position and don't cover, and we lack pace in central defence; we are vulnerable to crosses and need to cut them out at source - which is probably where Boco and Humphreys might be needed! It's not a crisis - yet, but it needs sorting, and I'm certain Cook will get it right, after all, it's only a minor blip and if the problems which are now becoming apparent are solved sooner rather than later, we can still be pushing for the play-offs. Saturday's game at Walsall is a big test of Cook's ability and the players character and resolve and could prove to be a pivotal point of our season.

#22 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:00 PM

If cook hadn't suggested changes following a downturn in form then he'd get slammed on here.

Folk on here are laughable. Nothing kneejerk about it. We aren't defending well. Thus we need to do something about it
Up the Blues

#23 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 21 October 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

i have to say, the first few games with Boco & Humphries in the team, did have balance

fair comment that - although Clucas and Jones do work really well together. Boc is steady and solid without being spectactular. Maybe he needs to come back into the side to give protection to Dave at RB
A new hope.

#24 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 October 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

I don't get the knee-jerk reaction. From Cook that is. Are his own decisions frustrating him as much as anything (going 4-4-2 at the weekend, dropping Johnson tonight)?

probably more to do with realising some players are not up to it.

Going 4-4-2 and seeing it weaken his team. - needs another forward

changing the team and seeing it weaken his team - others struggle with the jump from L2 to L1.

As I said yesterday, expect 1 or 2 to go on loan, and 1 or 2 to come in

A new hope.

#25 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:59 AM

View Postazul, on 21 October 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

It is still a very quick turnaround

I can see Boco being back, perhaps even Humphreys against Walsall

Darwikwa plays better with Bocco covering him. I thought Gardener should have started, was Johnno rested? Morsey wasn't his usual self, why did Jay and Clucas swap wings after we scored? Evo and Marg.aren't commanding as a pair. I am still concerned that we only have one goal scoring striker at the Club. We did try to play football in difficult conditions but Colchester are poor and we should be beating them. Let s hope we have the bottle to bounce back with a win at Walsall.
lindave

#26 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:08 AM

View Postlindave, on 22 October 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

Darwikwa plays better with Bocco covering him. I thought Gardener should have started, was Johnno rested? Morsey wasn't his usual self, why did Jay and Clucas swap wings after we scored? Evo and Marg.aren't commanding as a pair. I am still concerned that we only have one goal scoring striker at the Club. We did try to play football in difficult conditions but Colchester are poor and we should be beating them. Let s hope we have the bottle to bounce back with a win at Walsall.

what did Evo and Marg do wrong tonight?
A new hope.

#27 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostDMU Blue, on 21 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

If cook hadn't suggested changes following a downturn in form then he'd get slammed on here.

Folk on here are laughable. Nothing kneejerk about it. We aren't defending well. Thus we need to do something about it

We left the ground happy after Bristol and even after Oldham. To the majority there was no downturn just a series of difficult games completed and a slightly disappointing points return

Now you are saying he attempted to rectify long standing defensive problems by replacing Johnson and Roberts with Banks and O'Shea.

You are right about some on here being laughable if you think that was what he was doing
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#28 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:53 AM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 22 October 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

probably more to do with realising some players are not up to it.

Going 4-4-2 and seeing it weaken his team. - needs another forward

changing the team and seeing it weaken his team - others struggle with the jump from L2 to L1.

As I said yesterday, expect 1 or 2 to go on loan, and 1 or 2 to come in

So who do you think he suddenly realises, isn't up to the job

This post has been edited by azul: 22 October 2014 - 01:56 AM

#29 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

View Postazul, on 21 October 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

Tiresome, the only person that seems to have overreacted is PC

It's not time to throw the dummy out the pram the season is up to yet a success we are playing good football and it's how you play that counts , unfortunately I think cook sees the dilemma on the horizon suddenly he realises that the formation we play does require a consistent playmaker at the base of the diamond front 4 and the only true player we have who you could rely on week in week out is going back to his parent club, his 2nd choice I believe is Roberts but I don't think it's the right choice , Robbo has neither the consistency or the athleticism or the pace to really make that place his own and should be utili sed to his maximum output on the left.....now that leaves a problem for me there are others but all have a big question mark

Banks isn't as quick athletic or technical to fulfill the role as good as johnson...

O'shea isn't as strong but lacks consistency he is as consistent as paddy mccourt who played for celtic and Barnsley, brilliant in very small doses and with a tendency to get lost in games I'm not sure you can do that when you the focal point in a diamond like front 4....

Gardner is a big question mark ...what is he ?..he physically has everything you could wish in a footballer strong pacy good feet but is he a player who mentally can't make the step up who knows, is he intelligent enough?

The only other option is a bit of a risk and currently is impossible but perhaps morsy could add apt to life a bit further forward the problem is his passing range is predictable but his sheer grit and determination could see him getting into the box, could we afford to push our best player out of position at the moment i'd say no.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#30 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

View Postbonnyman, on 22 October 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

It's not time to throw the dummy out the pram the season is up to yet a success we are playing good football and it's how you play that counts , unfortunately I think cook sees the dilemma on the horizon suddenly he realises that the formation we play does require a consistent playmaker at the base of the diamond front 4 and the only true player we have who you could rely on week in week out is going back to his parent club, his 2nd choice I believe is Roberts but I don't think it's the right choice , Robbo has neither the consistency or the athleticism or the pace to really make that place his own and should be utili sed to his maximum output on the left.....now that leaves a problem for me there are others but all have a big question mark

Banks isn't as quick athletic or technical to fulfill the role as good as johnson...

O'shea isn't as strong but lacks consistency he is as consistent as paddy mccourt who played for celtic and Barnsley, brilliant in very small doses and with a tendency to get lost in games I'm not sure you can do that when you the focal point in a diamond like front 4....

Gardner is a big question mark ...what is he ?..he physically has everything you could wish in a footballer strong pacy good feet but is he a player who mentally can't make the step up who knows, is he intelligent enough?

The only other option is a bit of a risk and currently is impossible but perhaps morsy could add apt to life a bit further forward the problem is his passing range is predictable but his sheer grit and determination could see him getting into the box, could we afford to push our best player out of position at the moment i'd say no.

Sounds like we're doomed by your synopsis

But I don't believe he signed Johnson to fulfil the role you have described, it just sort if happened. And if he has suddenly realalised he has the issue you've described why on earth bring it forward by four games

I think your summary of the players is quite accurate by I think it is too early to judge either Banks or Gardner because they've hardly played

#31 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

View Postazul, on 22 October 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Sounds like we're doomed by your synopsis

But I don't believe he signed Johnson to fulfil the role you have described, it just sort if happened. And if he has suddenly realalised he has the issue you've described why on earth bring it forward by four games

I think your summary of the players is quite accurate by I think it is too early to judge either Banks or Gardner because they've hardly played

I agree perhaps he did not know what he had with johnson perhaps that's why he is frustrated I know I'd be frustrated if a player like johnson who had no league form came and looked so good, the problem is who takes over the role and as of yet even though it's early days nobody looks like they want to throw their hat in the ring, it's system that requires goals from the front 4 and at present johnson has not got many of those cook can at least take so form of weird consolation in that.

#32 User is online   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

View Postbonnyman, on 22 October 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

As usual, you are far too quick to criticise and generalise.
My understanding is that Banks created the goal in minute 1. His passing is his strength. Most people would give him at least 1 game to get going. What we need to know is whether he can score goals at this level.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#33 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

Gardner has only played 4 times as sub this season. Injury has played a part. Gardner is physically strong, has tricks, pretty direct and needs playing time to regain match fitness etc. I don't see how anyone can say he is not up to it as he has not really had any time on the pitch. I don't know the exact minutes played this season but it must be less than 90mins. Judge him when he's had a run of games.
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#34 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

My thoughts are that playing away from home, in particular, you need to be defensively aware.

It has already been stated that Clucas combines well with Jones. This partnership could be allowed to mature but, if so, could be at the expense of Roberts!!

The best partnership on the right that I have seen amongst existing staff is DT behind TD but that isn't available to us yet. However, I do feel Boco has shown good defensive qualities in front of TD. Neither O'Shea or Gardner provide much in this department and I was somewhat surprised that PC chose O'Shea for this role knowing that Sanchez Watts is no slouch.

Then, I sometimes wonder, even though we think they are good as a pair, how well our defensive two of JR. and SM are protecting our Centre Backs. I've felt JR is tiring badly in the last half hour recently and we often concede late.

There is obviously something not quite right. PC is blaming the balance in the team but he assembled it!

Every department needs to come under scrutiny because we leak goals from most positions and not just one as some would like to believe.

Similarly, for all our possession attacking wise we can sometimes appear quite wasteful and this is not all down to poor crossing.

The other conundrum is that we are playing some excellent football with every member of the team contributing to this. Quite a problem but one I am confident we will come through.

#35 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

View Postdtp, on 22 October 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

My thoughts are that playing away from home, in particular, you need to be defensively aware.

It has already been stated that Clucas combines well with Jones. This partnership could be allowed to mature but, if so, could be at the expense of Roberts!!

The best partnership on the right that I have seen amongst existing staff is DT behind TD but that isn't available to us yet. However, I do feel Boco has shown good defensive qualities in front of TD. Neither O'Shea or Gardner provide much in this department and I was somewhat surprised that PC chose O'Shea for this role knowing that Sanchez Watts is no slouch.

Then, I sometimes wonder, even though we think they are good as a pair, how well our defensive two of JR. and SM are protecting our Centre Backs. I've felt JR is tiring badly in the last half hour recently and we often concede late.

There is obviously something not quite right. PC is blaming the balance in the team but he assembled it!

Every department needs to come under scrutiny because we leak goals from most positions and not just one as some would like to believe.

Similarly, for all our possession attacking wise we can sometimes appear quite wasteful and this is not all down to poor crossing.

The other conundrum is that we are playing some excellent football with every member of the team contributing to this. Quite a problem but one I am confident we will come through.

Good points, I think the squad could do with L1 equivalents of James Milner, hard working, good engines, shoring up the flanks.

PC has been ruthless in the past, I think he may need to he ruthless again.

Do you think there's a case for setting up differently, being more solid and using more defensive-minded players away from home?
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#36 User is offline   kh83 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 21 October 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

to be fair, as fans we've been loving the games...but i can imagine being the manager, Paul Cook has been pulling the last strands of his hair out...he is a born winner & hates losing.
like he said, its ok getting the plaudits, but its results that count

Well I'm glad he's recognising this. Maybe when we are away from home, drawing with 5 mins to go, he will start to shut up shop and take the point. We can do this without changing our general style of play.
We 8 Mansfield oh we 8 Mansfield!!

#37 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

View Postlongeatonspireite, on 22 October 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

Gardner has only played 4 times as sub this season. Injury has played a part. Gardner is physically strong, has tricks, pretty direct and needs playing time to regain match fitness etc. I don't see how anyone can say he is not up to it as he has not really had any time on the pitch. I don't know the exact minutes played this season but it must be less than 90mins. Judge him when he's had a run of games.

Has anyone said he's not up to it?

#38 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 22 October 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Good points, I think the squad could do with L1 equivalents of James Milner, hard working, good engines, shoring up the flanks.

PC has been ruthless in the past, I think he may need to he ruthless again.

Do you think there's a case for setting up differently, being more solid and using more defensive-minded players away from home?

JS successfully played Jack Lester at home but not away - so yes.

We are constantly told it is a squad game and every member of the squad has different attributes - draw away and win at home has always been a recipe for success.

To play different systems requires different types of players and, sometimes, different systems are required for different games and can be required during a game - for instance, the Morsey Ryan partnership is reputed to be good if they both sit together but I don't think it is good in a 4-4-2. PC has an unbalanced squad because he has signed players just to play his preferred system of 4-2-3-1 and overloaded with attacking midfielders of different attributes whilst leaving us short on defenders, defensive midfielders (especially one that fits a 4-4-2) and strikers.

Under the JS system the much criticised MA provided cover for both full backs and shielded the centre backs whilst PC has two midfielders on defensive duties but they both remain very central thus allowing the opposition a lot of space behind our marauding full backs.

It's all about opinions but they are some of mine.

#39 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

View Postdim view, on 22 October 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

As usual, you are far too quick to criticise and generalise.
My understanding is that Banks created the goal in minute 1. His passing is his strength. Most people would give him at least 1 game to get going. What we need to know is whether he can score goals at this level.

I'm not generalising and i'm not knocking banks either I'm talking about position specific players and I don't see banks as being the player that fills the role that johnson has made his own, the 2 players are like chalk and cheese johnson is nothing like banks in how he plays so I don't see how the 2 could interchange positions to simplify if johnson was Ronaldinho then banks would be more like Glen hoddle.....which throws up this question I don't see banks as a replacement for morsy but could he replace him if morsy was the player who replaced johnson?

#40 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm not sure Morsy has the eye for a pass that Johnson has. You said it yourself - he's not a bad passer but he's predictable, I doubt he can consistently unlock a defence. Look at Johnson's pass for Doyle's goal against Scunthorpe for example, I think it was our equaliser. I doubt anyone in the stadium thought that pass was on at the time.

This post has been edited by Goku: 22 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users