Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

I think we are reading too much into PCs comments
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#43 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

If we had no money to strengthen in the summer why would we suddenly have some now
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#44 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

View Postmartatcross, on 20 October 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

If we had no money to strengthen in the summer why would we suddenly have some now

Promising income streams, Cooper sale, good gates, realisation that the "next stage" is closer than we anticipated?
East stand second class citizen.

#45 User is offline   Rudeboy spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

I have heard (never know how true it is) that we will be getting bids for Morsey and Doyle in January both in the region of £2M each, Cardiff and Ipswich which would be very difficult to turn down. Only hearsay but I think that with Doyles goals and the fact that Morsey is class most games something will happen ?

#46 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

View Postazul, on 20 October 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

I think we are reading too much into PCs comments

We maybe reading too much into his comments but.....about 4 min 45 secs into his interview he says he made 2 big decisions over weekend about the team Hmmmm

#47 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

View PostRudeboy spireite, on 21 October 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

I have heard (never know how true it is) that we will be getting bids for Morsey and Doyle in January both in the region of £2M each, Cardiff and Ipswich which would be very difficult to turn down. Only hearsay but I think that with Doyles goals and the fact that Morsey is class most games something will happen ?

The Cardiff one probably comes from a thread i started on here after being sent a link to a thread on a Cardiff board about them possibly being interested...word soon spreads! The Ipswich link probably comes from a thread on here from someone saying that Mick Mccarthy likes the look of Doyle.

With a bit of chinese whisper these types of things soon build into they are done deals already for Jan!

#48 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostBrookie, on 21 October 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

We maybe reading too much into his comments but.....about 4 min 45 secs into his interview he says he made 2 big decisions over weekend about the team Hmmmm

1. Too reliant on Doyle for goals.
Got to start with Banks and Gardner in the team, even though it might take them a couple of matches to get up to speed.

2. Using Armand as a bit part player is doing nobody any good.
Got to keep Doyle on the pitch as a striker even if we make tactical substitutions. Putting Armand on requires too much disruption and balance is shot to pieces.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#49 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostRudeboy spireite, on 21 October 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

Rumours are started thats what they are rumours can you possible imagine Doyle or Morsy are worth two million quid each? Only in Football manager or Fantasy football I'm afraid. Both Good players yes but lets keep the rumours real.
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#50 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

View Postmartatcross, on 21 October 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Rumours are started thats what they are rumours can you possible imagine Doyle or Morsy are worth two million quid each? Only in Football manager or Fantasy football I'm afraid. Both Good players yes but lets keep the rumours real.

£2 million each? - that's a club-changing amount!! It would take a chunk out of the debt and allow for team building.

I don't see it myself either, I think we'd struggle to get £1m for either of them
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#51 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

View Postdim view, on 21 October 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

1. Too reliant on Doyle for goals.
Got to start with Banks and Gardner in the team, even though it might take them a couple of matches to get up to speed.

2. Using Armand as a bit part player is doing nobody any good.
Got to keep Doyle on the pitch as a striker even if we make tactical substitutions. Putting Armand on requires too much disruption and balance is shot to pieces.

That's how I read it as well. If we do go 4-4-2, I`d be tempted to look at Gardner as the second forward
A new hope.

#52 User is offline   Spire-ite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 21 October 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

£2 million each? - that's a club-changing amount!! It would take a chunk out of the debt and allow for team building.

I don't see it myself either, I think we'd struggle to get £1m for either of them

Morsy is easily worth £2 million of anyone's money. The most consistent performer. He's took the step up and made it look ridiculously easy.
If Doyle keeps banging em in, well, look at assombalonga......... Didn't he go for £5 million....
I think we have to realise how far we have come as a club and the standard of players we now have and continue to search for and develop them!
We are most certainly on the up.

#53 User is offline   Blue95 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

Exactly, why should we let our players go for cheap when teams around us demand and get top dollar?
Who put the ball in the Mansfield net? Super Jackie Lesterrrr

#54 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostSpire-ite, on 21 October 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Morsy is easily worth £2 million of anyone's money. The most consistent performer. He's took the step up and made it look ridiculously easy.
If Doyle keeps banging em in, well, look at assombalonga......... Didn't he go for £5 million....
I think we have to realise how far we have come as a club and the standard of players we now have and continue to search for and develop them!

Assombalonga scored over 30 goals and is around 5 years younger than Doyle.

#55 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostSpire-ite, on 21 October 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

My reasoning is that I think they will only attract the interest of middling Championship standard teams, (for example, Leeds or Reading) who will only have a limited budget, want a bargain and won't be looking to pay top dollar.

The types of clubs who can pay £2m won't in my view look to Doyle and Morsy, as they will have one eye on PL football and I think as much as we rate them, they both have limitations that would put put some suitors off. Top championship clubs are much more likely to take a punt on someone like Daniel Johnson IMO (who we've now put in the shop window).
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#56 User is offline   CrossStreet62 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Retired to my static caravan at the end of the drive.
  • Interests:My Family
    Living one day at a time for as long as I can
    Listening to the music that means so much to me

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

I've listened twice to this interview because there's so much content in it. PC is in a bullish mood, positive, critical and constructive. I'm quite energised as a supporter in listening to him. It's as if he's been given the green light to go the next step of team building. He makes many points in the interview....here are a few that interested me. 1-He wants to be competitive and successful and the players to evolve as a team. 2-we are missing that final ingredient or two..3- continuously analysing himself and the players, 4-getting plaudits is great but he wants the club to be picking up more points 5- the balance is not right 6-happy with players but looking at bringing new players in 7- not happy at all with 442 feels it stops the impetus of our strength within the 4231 system . 8- he wants the supporters to stand with him as he has some tough decisions to make.

Make of it what you will ...to me it sounds like he's going to strengthen and is quite honest that we will have to if we want to push on...armand looks like being the first of a a few that may go out on loan...it's possible that we could lose somebody in January to help fund the next stage..it's all very interesting...I for one will follow with interest.
"CFC is in my soul" "It's a way of life" "Keep The Faith" "A Spireite Till I Die"

#57 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

View Postbrianclose, on 21 October 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Assombalonga scored over 30 goals and is around 5 years younger than Doyle.

And he had already cost Peterborough over £1M
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#58 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostBlue95, on 21 October 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Exactly, why should we let our players go for cheap when teams around us demand and get top dollar?

depends what "cheap" is.

Doyle isn't a youngster with bags of extra potential to go with his goals. A seven figure sum is a huge amount of money to spend on a player who is 26 years old and over 220 first team appearances behind him. He is 1 in 3 (ish) striker - and most of those have been scored for CFC or Sligo. 1in5 for Hibs

£1,000,000 for Doyle would be a great piece of Business for CFC. Nothing cheap about it.

Assombalonga is just 21, and at posh had a 2-1 goal/game ratio. Over all he had played 118 games and scored 58. You just cant compare the 2 players.

Morsy IMO is the more valuable asset and would be harder to replace. He just makes the side tick. His partnership with Ryan works very well. He is 23, and played just over 110 goals scoring 6. The Goals scored is what would keep the price down.

Someone tried to compare him with Roy Keane - well at Forest he played 114 games and scored 22.

Again, a seven figure sum is a huge amount of money and for a L1 midfielder with very few goals and isn't "cheap"

IMO of course

A new hope.

#59 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

[quote name='a kick in the balls' timestamp='1413889249' post='1048512']
depends what "cheap" is.

Morsy IMO is the more valuable asset and would be harder to replace. He just makes the side tick. His partnership with Ryan works very well. He is 23, and played just over 110 goals scoring 6. The Goals scored is what would keep the price down.

Someone tried to compare him with Roy Keane - well at Forest he played 114 games and scored 22.

Again, a seven figure sum is a huge amount of money and for a L1 midfielder with very few goals and isn't "cheap"

Morsy's biggest asset is that he will only get better. His goal ratio at this stage is not as important as the way that he bosses the holding role. We are all slightly biased but it is not just us, but other managers etc, have seen the quality that he has. Somebody needs to gamble on not what he is now but what he will be like in a couple of years. He will definitely be the name to watch.
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#60 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 21 October 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

That's how I read it as well. If we do go 4-4-2, I`d be tempted to look at Gardner as the second forward

Yet, when a cross came in towards him on Saturday he made no attempt to win the header against their player - something commented on at the time around me as we couldn't believe why he didn't move towards that cross.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users