• You cannot reply to this topic

Changes Afoot

#1 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

I said this a couple of days ago.....

'I was very interested in PC's after match comments paraphrased by 'we've got to take a long hard look at things - players have got to improve'. This perhaps deserves a thread of it's own, but I think he's starting to plan structural changes. I don't think he's one to dawdle, and I think he's probably supported upstairs.'....

and after listening to today's press conference, I'm convinced it's a watershed moment.

PC is NOT happy with mediocrity. He's not happy with the balance. He's looking for players. He's going to make changes and he wants supporters to back his decisions. These are interesting times.
Great interview by the way Phil.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#2 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

View Postdim view, on 20 October 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

'I was very interested in PC's after match comments paraphrased by 'we've got to take a long hard look at things - players have got to improve'. This perhaps deserves a thread of it's own, but I think he's starting to plan structural changes. I don't think he's one to dawdle, and I think he's probably supported upstairs.'....

and after listening to today's press conference, I'm convinced it's a watershed moment.

PC is NOT happy with mediocrity. He's not happy with the balance. He's looking for players. He's going to make changes and he wants supporters to back his decisions. These are interesting times.

I wonder if we might see one or two more go out on loan to L2 sides in the coming weeks
A new hope.

#3 User is offline   Ex-LeamSpire 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC + plenty of other things.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

Very good interview.

He was clearly up for this and seemed he had decided how he was going to drive the narrative. Comes across to me as a man who has gone home at the weekend, had a good old think about it (probably over a pint) and has basically decided we on some changes we need to really have a go. Also thought he sounded very genuine when assessing and critiquing his own tactics

Interesting whether he was alluding to Armand's loan when he intimates about giving players a fair crack of the whip and making sure they have "exhausted that to the letter" - he certainly was when he talked about 'needing to make more decisions and I've started to do that'

Yeah, good stuff and great (and long this week) interview.

#4 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

I wonder if O'Shea might be vulnerable...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#5 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 20 October 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I think JOS will be safe

I`d like to see us stopping the ball coming into the danger area at source a bit more. Difficult when our full backs puxh on as much as they do, but needs to be looked at.

A new hope.

#6 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

I read what you put on the thread and wandered who it would be that would be shipped out (if they'd be wanted of course).
I'm glad that Armand has gone out to get experience but I'm more happy that we have a manager that clearly isn't ever going to sit back, rest on his laurels and bemoan about his lack of funding.
There's absolutely no question that he's going to be backed by the supporters because the supporters can see that he wants what we want. Championship football.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#7 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

I think he must be. I also think he could drop Johnson and Tendayi, for different reasons. Just guesswork.

I'd be prepared to move Humphreys, Boco, O'Shea out to generate some leeway.It's also evident to me that there's an obvious difference in class between an £11k a week CH and Hirdy. As we almost certainly can't tempt Georg, it's time to invest in a top left sided L1 CH on appropriate wages. Get that position/player right and we'd be a top team.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#8 User is offline   Spire-ite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Exciting times ahead. :)

#9 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

Which interview was this?
Here we go again!

#10 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

If we have any hope of keeping anyone in the current squad then we have to be able to offer them Championship football come the end of the season.

January transfer window ain't that far away and we could see the likes of Morsy pre signing with someone else.

Don't know if it is just getting players out on loan for fitness or to enable a couple of good loanees. Think we have lost out on young Daniel with the announcement by the club?

For sure though we have to keep being successful to keep the attendance/ game enjoyment there but ultimately challenge for promotion.

Personally I would just like Dan to be given ago to see how he copes with L1.

God I hate this league.

#11 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 20 October 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

If we have any hope of keeping anyone in the current squad then we have to be able to offer them Championship football come the end of the season.

January transfer window ain't that far away and we could see the likes of Morsy pre signing with someone else.

Don't know if it is just getting players out on loan for fitness or to enable a couple of good loanees. Think we have lost out on young Daniel with the announcement by the club?

For sure though we have to keep being successful to keep the attendance/ game enjoyment there but ultimately challenge for promotion.

Personally I would just like Dan to be given ago to see how he copes with L1.

Morsy is signed up for another season after this so he can't sign pre contract terms dave..keep up! :lol:
East stand second class citizen.

#12 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 20 October 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Morsy is signed up for another season after this so he can't sign pre contract terms dave..keep up! :lol:

I was just about to add the same! Does this mean that we'll be signing Johnson :lol:
#notapennymore

#13 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 20 October 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

I don't spend much time on here these days so you will have to give me special dispensation AND time is marching on.:P
God I hate this league.

#14 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

I think what started as a season where mid to lower half consolidation would be deemed successful has now taken on a different approach..
After beating sheff u, drawing with Oldham and Preston , and narrowly losing to both MK and Bristol City, all teams who are near certain top six contenders, Cook has now realised with a bit of tough love and even tougher decisions, if the board view things the same way, then we could also figure heavily in the final mix!

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 20 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

#15 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 20 October 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

I don't spend much time on here these days so you will have to give me special dispensation AND time is marching on.:P

Are you sure it's not jogging ready to break into a sprint? lol

#16 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

when CFC moved to the new ground things began to look very good for us- the ground, the facilities, the potential.

The more I listen to cook the more I think he's the final piece of the jigsaw.
Every need got an ego to feed

#17 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

Port vale he was outstanding. Since then....... Well....... Mediocre at best! JOS is an exceptional talent but his inconsistency is a worry. Very much going the way of Randal!

#18 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

View Postdjs, on 20 October 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

Port vale he was outstanding. Since then....... Well....... Mediocre at best! JOS is an exceptional talent but his inconsistency is a worry. Very much going the way of Randal!

He would have done well to be outstanding at Vale; he didnt play (per BBC and soccerbase).

#19 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

View Postdjs, on 20 October 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

But like Cook says, it's minutes on the pitch..it's one thing having a settled 11 but when changes need to be made is it fair on the lads coming into the game for the final 20 mins etc to hit the ground running?

#20 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

I've got a few problems with that analysis. For a start, the balance of the attack is ruined by the two best attacking midfielders both being left-wingers - but Cookie was the one who signed both of them. Then again, neither Banks nor Gardner has had the chance of regular first team football, so they're both work in progress. O'Shea must be a bit borderline, as is Boco, but if we're looking at something startling then it must be in the defence. TD is pushing his luck if he can't learn to cross accurately, and I wonder if Johnson is providing quite what the gaffer wants defensively, though he's fine attacking and if he can stay fit.
Even the heart of the defence, Evatt and Magreiter, looked a bit rocky at times on Saturday, especially to balls played between them, and I wonder if something serious might happen there. Certainly, if we're to challenge for the top six the defence will need tweaking a bit - or a lot.
Or - exciting stuff - we might sign somebody who can cross a ball to a blue shirt.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users