• You cannot reply to this topic

Drew Talbot Appreciation

#21 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 08 May 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

Think pay versus appearance ratio, not performance, is what you are getting at.

I may be wrong on this but does a testimonial have to be set up by an independent committee and not organised by the football club?

So if you want a Drew Talbot testimonial then set one up.

#22 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostSpireiteRachel, on 08 May 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

Would love him to have one but when I spoke to him at player of the year he said he'd done 9 years

So has Ashley. His selfless devotion to CFC without a penny of remuneration must be recognised.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#23 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

View PostGoku, on 08 May 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

Ernie despises Talbot with every fibre of his being.

Talbot was a very good player, was always committed but he hasn’t been very good in recent years. Anybody would think the poor bloke was on his death bed and his family starving. He’ll get a job probably still in football and his life and town will go on. I wish him nothing but good luck and success in everything he does. That doesn’t change my opinion that he’s been a waste of a wage and was a poor signing when we took him back and I’m not sure you or anyone else can logically argue that point.

#24 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:31 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 08 May 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Talbot was a very good player, was always committed but he hasn’t been very good in recent years. Anybody would think the poor bloke was on his death bed and his family starving. He’ll get a job probably still in football and his life and town will go on. I wish him nothing but good luck and success in everything he does. That doesn’t change my opinion that he’s been a waste of a wage and was a poor signing when we took him back and I’m not sure you or anyone else can logically argue that point.

Don't be so idiotic, of course a case can be argued logically. Your pompous nonsense comes courtesy of hindsight. We can all be clever AFTER the event, but at the time it was worth taking the risk simply because of Talbot's ability and application which served us so well for years. If you insist on revelling in pathetically spiteful comments, you should target opposition players and teams, not one of the most dedicated players this club has had for years.

#25 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

View Postsophocles, on 08 May 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

Don't be so idiotic, of course a case can be argued logically. Your pompous nonsense comes courtesy of hindsight. We can all be clever AFTER the event, but at the time it was worth taking the risk simply because of Talbot's ability and application which served us so well for years. If you insist on revelling in pathetically spiteful comments, you should target opposition players and teams, not one of the most dedicated players this club has had for years.

After 😂
His signing was much debated on here at the time and ever since.
I wouldn’t say spiteful I’d say factual. You perceive them as spiteful as you don’t agree. You haven’t argued an alternative just decried my opinion.

#26 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 08 May 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

After 😂
His signing was much debated on here at the time and ever since.
I wouldn’t say spiteful I’d say factual. You perceive them as spiteful as you don’t agree. You haven’t argued an alternative just decried my opinion.

No, you choose to ignore the alternative argument because it doesn't suit you - that Talbot deserves appreciation for what he has done for us over his total time here, and that no-one KNEW that he wouldn't get over his injury and be able to contribute again. You obviously feel clever by predicting the outcome AFTER the event, absolutely pathetic.

#27 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:14 PM

View Postsophocles, on 08 May 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

No, you choose to ignore the alternative argument because it doesn't suit you - that Talbot deserves appreciation for what he has done for us over his total time here, and that no-one KNEW that he wouldn't get over his injury and be able to contribute again. You obviously feel clever by predicting the outcome AFTER the event, absolutely pathetic.

He said the same at the time.

#28 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:17 PM

View Postsophocles, on 08 May 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

No I predicted it as many others did at the time. The games played in recent years was indicative of what was Likely to happen. You don’t get over injuries more quickly the more you have and the older you get. I’ve already said Talbot was a good player for us, is that not appreciation? Just a poor signing at that stage of his career. He’s certainly not the only bad singing we have made, we’ve had hatfuls in recent years.

#29 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:23 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 08 May 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

No I predicted it as many others did at the time. The games played in recent years was indicative of what was Likely to happen. You don’t get over injuries more quickly the more you have and the older you get. I’ve already said Talbot was a good player for us, is that not appreciation? Just a poor signing at that stage of his career. He’s certainly not the only bad singing we have made, we’ve had hatfuls in recent years.

In return for your obviously amazing foresight I'll let you have a prediction from me, free of charge - Tiger Roll to win the 2019 Grand National. Let us know how much Ladbrokes pay out!

#30 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

View Postsophocles, on 08 May 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

In return for your obviously amazing foresight I'll let you have a prediction from me, free of charge - Tiger Roll to win the 2019 Grand National. Let us know how much Ladbrokes pay out!

Stop being a twit.

If you expected an injury free season(s) from Drew then that is your weakness, not Ernie's.

This post has been edited by Blue5: 09 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

#31 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

View Postsophocles, on 08 May 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

Ex3 did say when drew came back he’d spend most of the time injured and be a waste of a wage.
A new hope.

#32 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

View PostDEATH, on 09 May 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

Ex3 did say when drew came back he’d spend most of the time injured and be a waste of a wage.

He did indeed. And I was only taking the mick with my replies, fair play on E3 for predicting it. I think most of us knew he’d be a gamble fitness wise but some were happy to risk it, others weren’t. Nostalgia can get you.

#33 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 08 May 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

You never liked Talbot, which is remarkable really because he will go down as one of Town's most popular and consistently better players. While fans were applauding some of his forays down the line, his energy and no little talent, you could never quite bring yourself to join in and when he won MOTM awards you were usually absent from the congratulations, Any praise from you was like pulling teeth without anesthetic. Anyone who read your posts about him cannot have been unaware of your apathy towards the lad. I could never understand it but I like think you were in a minority.

Drew Talbot, a forward, made the full back position his own and turned into a very good full back. Since his departure through injury and illness, Town have tried numerous full backs, but not of them have really replaced him and hes been sorely missed.

There we are, you are entitled to your opinion but we move on.

#34 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostGoku, on 09 May 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

He did indeed. And I was only taking the mick with my replies, fair play on E3 for predicting it. I think most of us knew he’d be a gamble fitness wise but some were happy to risk it, others weren’t. Nostalgia can get you.

A great player in his day, and you could never fault his commitment- but injuries have taken their toll.

I expected to get 25/30 games out of him.

I’m also informed that it Carson who was instrumental in his signature not Martin Allen.
A new hope.

#35 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on 09 May 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

You never liked Talbot, which is remarkable really because he will go down as one of Town's most popular and consistently better players. While fans were applauding some of his forays down the line, his energy and no little talent, you could never quite bring yourself to join in and when he won MOTM awards you were usually absent from the congratulations, Any praise from you was like pulling teeth without anesthetic. Anyone who read your posts about him cannot have been unaware of your apathy towards the lad. I could never understand it but I like think you were in a minority.

Drew Talbot, a forward, made the full back position his own and turned into a very good full back. Since his departure through injury and illness, Town have tried numerous full backs, but not of them have really replaced him and hes been sorely missed.

There we are, you are entitled to your opinion but we move on.

Way back under Cook when Drew was out for a lengthy spell injured a certain Tendayi Darikwa replaced him quite successfully I would argue and I would also argue Drew has never been the same player since then.

Erniex3 was right when he suggested Drew was a poor signing by MA and I would only qualify this by the nature of the contract he signed of which I don't pretend to know anything. Heart has to rule head when it comes to managing our players budget. Those that think otherwise can also be the ones that criticise our expenditure.

#36 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

View Postdtp, on 09 May 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

Way back under Cook when Drew was out for a lengthy spell injured a certain Tendayi Darikwa replaced him quite successfully I would argue and I would also argue Drew has never been the same player since then.

Erniex3 was right when he suggested Drew was a poor signing by MA and I would only qualify this by the nature of the contract he signed of which I don't pretend to know anything. Heart has to rule head when it comes to managing our players budget. Those that think otherwise can also be the ones that criticise our expenditure.

Was he a MA signing or was it someone above MA saying we should sign him to bring him back based on previous history and the fact fans liked him?

#37 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostJonB, on 09 May 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

Was he a MA signing or was it someone above MA saying we should sign him to bring him back based on previous history and the fact fans liked him?

As I understood it at the time, Ashley had promised Talbot a new deal after his 6 momnth deal had expired, only for Drew to find out on social media that he'd been released.

A week or two later, MA confirmed he'd spoke to drew and offered him a new deal.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 09 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

#38 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

View Postdtp, on 09 May 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

He was right about that but I wasn't really talking about MA's resigning. I was referring to criticisms that go back a good four or five seasons way before injuries kicked in.

#39 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

View Postfrearsghost, on 09 May 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

He was right about that but I wasn't really talking about MA's resigning. I was referring to criticisms that go back a good four or five seasons way before injuries kicked in.

Drew has been s great servant to CFC, unfortunately this thread should not even be taking place as no way should he ever have been resigned, I think it showed how clueless that moron Allen was.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#40 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

View Postsophocles, on 08 May 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

Tiger Roll was no value to win the national as it could have been brought down at any point. Given the short odds of it winning the 7/2 on offer for it to finish in the first 4 was excellent value. The 3/1 available in running for it to win with 2 fences to go was even better value. I’m not sure what your analogy is though?

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users