Keith Hill

#21 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

View Postneeddm, on 26 April 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

We did not exactly look very competitive against Bristol yesterday

2-0 doesn't seem so bad when you consider Bradford got truly spanked.
If only....

#22 User is offline   S41Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on 26 April 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

You have to ask why he has failed everywhere else he has been. He's a northern Gary Johnson.

One of Keith Hill's great attributes is that he can spot a striker. Adam LeFondre, Scott Hogan, Matty Done (who previously played left back) and now he has Ian Henderson (22 this season) and Peter Vincenti (15 this season). These were hardly household names and we could do with finding another front man like any of these.

#23 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostS41Spireite, on 26 April 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

One of Keith Hill's great attributes is that he can spot a striker. Adam LeFondre, Scott Hogan, Matty Done (who previously played left back) and now he has Ian Henderson (22 this season) and Peter Vincenti (15 this season). These were hardly household names and we could do with finding another front man like any of these.

We have someone like that don't we? :rolleyes:
Here we go again!

#24 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on 26 April 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

You have to ask why he has failed everywhere else he has been. He's a northern Gary Johnson.

Wtf are you talking about? He's only managed two clubs...one being Dale, where his record is exemplary, the other being Barnsley where he didn't 'fail' per se, he kept them up whilst on shoestring budget.

#25 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

I think Hill has done a great job at Rochdale but what sort of message does it give to the players when he says "it's a dead rubber, I'm off on my hols"?

They might as well not bother turning up and give Barnsley the 3 points.

A better response would have been to say "it's a game with nothing at stake so I'm going to give some of the fringe and younger players some game time to see if they can impress me"

#26 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostAndy Spireite, on 27 April 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

I think Hill has done a great job at Rochdale but what sort of message does it give to the players when he says "it's a dead rubber, I'm off on my hols"?

A better response would have been to say "it's a game with nothing at stake so I'm going to give some of the fringe and younger players some game time to see if they can impress me"

I think the prospect of returning to Barnsley swayed him

#27 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

View Postmoondog, on 27 April 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

I think the prospect of returning to Barnsley swayed him

Has this actually been confirmed as true?

When I heard it I thought he was just frustrated and taking the mick.

#28 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

View Postbrianclose, on 27 April 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Exactly how I saw it
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#29 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

View Postbrianclose, on 27 April 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Yes saw the interview myself, it could also be he fancies a break before starting his new job :unsure:

#30 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

yes, if hes sticking around thatd be the best response; to say ok the next season starts here, and keep some momentum. And its not the best message to a bunch of players who have over achieved this season and will be feeling very deflated. I reckon Keith Hill, he's the quintessential 3/4th tier manager, and he'll always do a job. I imagine he's fed up with having nowt to spend and a non-league fanbase that dont show up when it matters.Its a funny way to send out signals but I reckon therell be a lot of interest,plenty of clubs at this level have done a lot worse with bigger names.

This post has been edited by bifocart: 27 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

#31 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

View Postbifocart, on 27 April 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

yes, if hes sticking around thatd be the best response; to say ok the next season starts here, and keep some momentum. And its not the best message to a bunch of players who have over achieved this season and will be feeling very deflated. I reckon Keith Hill, he's the quintessential 3/4th tier manager, and he'll always do a job. I imagine he's fed up with having nowt to spend and a non-league fanbase that dont show up when it matters.Its a funny way to send out signals but I reckon therell be a lot of interest,plenty of clubs at this level have done a lot worse with bigger names.

I think it's a great idea. He get's back refreshed ready for a recruitment drive at a time when others are having a break. He has a head start.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#32 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

https://audioboom.co...dons-bbcrmsport

Interview here worth a listen seems to me he feels he's taken them as far as he can

#33 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

I haven't listened but could it just be that this is his sense of humour?
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#34 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 27 April 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

I haven't listened but could it just be that this is his sense of humour?

Could be but it didn't sound like it based on the interview posted above my moondog

#35 User is offline   PositiveOmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Newbold Lad. Professional Actor and Student Support at a College. Home and Away. Supported since 2001.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

The three main points that we'd need to cover, imo, with a new manager would be-

1. Can talk a good talk (we're just under 7,000 with a character like Cook, can you imagine what it'd be like if we had a Steve Evans type moaning and making a fool of himself constantly).

2. Can work on a budget.

3. Plays good football, possession, on the floor.

Now, fair play to Hill for what he's done, but I think he only covers one of them - The budget bit. I for one have never liked how he comes across in interviews, too woe is me, and will attempt mind games before matches (see him moaning about the amount of loan players in Swindons squad). As far as the type of football, he gets results with Rochdale, but if you actually watch their highlights, a lot of it is direct to big players, with knock downs, not a tonne of it on the ground. Now, you can say that winning is winning, but for the long term, we'll attract better players with a better style of play.

Not for me.
Carson Out.

#36 User is online   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostPositiveOmen, on 27 April 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

The three main points that we'd need to cover, imo, with a new manager would be-

1. Can talk a good talk (we're just under 7,000 with a character like Cook, can you imagine what it'd be like if we had a Steve Evans type moaning and making a fool of himself constantly).

2. Can work on a budget.

3. Plays good football, possession, on the floor.

Now, fair play to Hill for what he's done, but I think he only covers one of them - The budget bit. I for one have never liked how he comes across in interviews, too woe is me, and will attempt mind games before matches (see him moaning about the amount of loan players in Swindons squad). As far as the type of football, he gets results with Rochdale, but if you actually watch their highlights, a lot of it is direct to big players, with knock downs, not a tonne of it on the ground. Now, you can say that winning is winning, but for the long term, we'll attract better players with a better style of play.

Not for me.

Can't fully agree with you - the Rochdale I've seen over 90 minutes several times have been a good footballing side and generally speaking the team has not been made up of giants.

One criticism I have had of PC's Chesterfield is the weakness we have both attacking and defending dead-ball situations so I am not going to complain about a manager who's team do these better than us. We win as many corners and free-kicks in dangerous areas as most teams but I doubt our goal return from these is as good. There is definately room for improvement and this needs to be worked on at both ends of the pitch if we get the opportunity to ply our trade in the Championship or want automatic promotion from league one next season.

I agree, though, Hill doesn't have Cook's charisma but he is a stand-up comedian compared to Sheridan.

This post has been edited by dtp: 27 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

#37 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

View Postdtp, on 27 April 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

Can't fully agree with you - the Rochdale I've seen over 90 minutes several times have been a good footballing side and generally speaking the team has not been made up of giants.

One criticism I have had of PC's Chesterfield is the weakness we have both attacking and defending dead-ball situations so I am not going to complain about a manager who's team do these better than us. We win as many corners and free-kicks in dangerous areas as most teams but I doubt our goal return from these is as good. There is definately room for improvement and this needs to be worked on at both ends of the pitch if we get the opportunity to ply our trade in the Championship or want automatic promotion from league one next season.

I agree, though, Hill doesn't have Cook's charisma but he is a stand-up comedian compared to Sheridan.

He's not a dull character imo, I think he speaks well even though he has stolen one of Sheridan's lines about the players "not listening".

#38 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 27 April 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

He's not a dull character imo, I think he speaks well even though he has stolen one of Sheridan's lines about the players "not listening".

I was gonna mention that too. Tbh he comes across as a bell end so would prob not bother with the interviews if he was here. We've been spoilt for nearly 3 years now but leam Richardson is good to listen to also.
Here we go again!

#39 User is offline   PositiveOmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Newbold Lad. Professional Actor and Student Support at a College. Home and Away. Supported since 2001.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

View Postdtp, on 27 April 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

Fair enough, opinions are opinions. I'd not be unhappy if we got him.

I went both home and away against them last season and this season, and whilst they were very effective, it wasn't a style that i'd be as proud of as I am of us now.
Carson Out.

#40 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

Just read on the pompy board that they have a thing in place where a new manager would have to work with the current backroom staff so that could potentially open up the door for LR to step up. Though many don't seem keen on the idea of having PC down there in the first place.
Here we go again!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users