Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Dave Allen's Influence On Our Club. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dave Allen's Influence On Our Club.

#21 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:52 PM

No, I don't think he is.

His business now has a local non-league team benefiting from his sponsorship.

#22 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

View PostBodieUK, on 25 April 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

When he joined, we were rock bottom of league one, suffering with a ridiculous amount of poor loan players and heavy wage bills.

Since then we have lost over £1,500,000, still have a huge wage bill and look like losing the best manager for a generation.

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 25 April 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

No, I don't think he is.

His business now has a local non-league team benefiting from his sponsorship.

what team is that?
A new hope.

#23 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:38 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 25 April 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

I heard today a successful local businessman was invited in to offer suggestions, free of charge, as to where to we could improve our profitability.

He spent four days of his own time in the club offering his thoughts and thereafter didn't have any calls or emails returned by the club.

Subsequently he withdrew his sponsorship and spends his money elsewhere.

So who was that then? PK group?

#24 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostMac, on 25 April 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

Yeah, misplaced loyalty.

Last year's concerts were another mistake. As was the misguided contract extension for Sheridan, though admittedly at the time there weren't too many dissenting voices. But might his biggest mistake actually be overestimating the potential support we have as a club?

My view on the Club's potential support is the opposite to yours. When the huge away following, for example, is considered we are attracting support that is disproportionate to the size of home attendance and is reflective, frequently, of numbers achieved by bigger Clubs in higher leagues. Home support needs to be improved but yesterday's attendance demonstrates that the potential is there. The problem lies in retaining the week on week commitment from Spireites who can only be termed "part-timers".

#25 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

View Postvalemadness, on 25 April 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

The concerts were not a CT thing, a mixture of the promoters and another member of CFC staff were in charge of them

Come on!

Next you will be telling us that he just takes the training, signs the players & picks the starting 11!

#26 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 25 April 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

what team is that?

Matlock Town.

#27 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

View Postplannerj, on 26 April 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

My view on the Club's potential support is the opposite to yours. When the huge away following, for example, is considered we are attracting support that is disproportionate to the size of home attendance and is reflective, frequently, of numbers achieved by bigger Clubs in higher leagues. Home support needs to be improved but yesterday's attendance demonstrates that the potential is there. The problem lies in retaining the week on week commitment from Spireites who can only be termed "part-timers".

Prior to DA’s involvement we were a club averaging around 3000 per Home game. To be averaging over 6000 now on a consistent basis is no small feat especially given the current economic climate.

That said, given the overall populous of Chesterfield and the surrounding area, the potential for increased attendances is there. The problem we face is converting the locals who frequent other local clubs such as the Sheffield clubs, Derby and Forest. If we were to get promoted into the Championship we would start to add to the fan base on both a consistent and ‘part-time’ basis in terms of numbers, as people who currently don’t frequent our games would start to associate us with being a team worth investing time in.

For me, one of the best decisions made by the club was to have the youth teams based at Shirebrook. This will entice a future generation of youngsters from an area traditionally loyal to Mansfield to start supporting the Spireites. It also extends our coverage of the team into an area that is starved of any footballing inspiration.
If only....

#28 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

2008/9 we bottomed out at just under 3500 as an average. This season's average will be almost exactly double.

#29 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

View Postdazcarrlegend, on 25 April 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

The current keyboard warrior critics have clearly forgotten where we were 12 years ago

Can you show me who has been critical of DA input? As far as I am aware no one has yet to criticsed his joining CFC.
A new hope.

#30 User is offline   BodieUK 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

What did people think to Dave's program notes?
Twitter: Bodie0402

#31 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostBodieUK, on 26 April 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

What was said?
If only....

#32 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostBodieUK, on 26 April 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

what did they say?
A new hope.

#33 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 25 April 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

If I had one criticism of him it would be that he has let people at the club have too free a hand and no-one seems to know where all the money is going or has a handle on our financial well being

Have we got financial nouse at the club.
God I hate this league.

#34 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 26 April 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

Have we got financial nouse at the club.

No but we have a financial noose that's strangling us.

#35 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

View PostBodieUK, on 25 April 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

Bored to death with seeing even further criticism of CT. I've offered my opinion on him many times, not always being complimentary, happy to admit that....But we have clearly had the best season for a long, long time.

When he joined, we were rock bottom of league one, suffering with a ridiculous amount of poor loan players and heavy wage bills.

Since then we have won the JPT, appointed Paul Cook (which at the time caused a lot of controversy - well what a shrewd choice thats now turning out to be), won the League 2 title, and got into the playoffs in league one, witnessing the most exciting football i've ever seen in my lifetime. This done along with selling 2 great assets whilst maintaining a top 6 place...Of course PC deserves the greatest means of credit but DA and CT brought him here to do this....

Whilst not trying to be part of the happy clapper brigade, i'd just like to see less moaning about CT for the next 2-4 weeks. We are in a dream position and may not get to experience this for quite a long time. Enjoy it while it lasts and get behind the whole club

You're dead right, but you have to remember that moaning and whinging is the default position for a lot of people. You can't moan about Dave Allen because he's responsible for everything we are at the moment, and you can't moan at Paul Cook because he's obviously a top Manager - so that only leaves Chris Turner to have a go at when something might or might not have gone wrong.
Come to think of it, it might be the reason he's there.

#36 User is offline   BodieUK 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostSkywalker, on 26 April 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

What was said?

Can't remember all of it but it was an interesting piece (I tend to grab my mates program at half time...he pays the £3, I read all the bits I want to ; :rolleyes: )

It was effectively an "In your face" to all who doubted us at the start of the season. And to all those who slammed the club for selling Doyle, Cooper etc. Also saying we've got the best footballing side for years, yet many fans are still "Glass half-empty".

In a way, having a bit of a dig but I can't say I disagree with a lot of what was written. Can anyone re-post some of the notes? Or summarise? I don't have the prog....
Twitter: Bodie0402

#37 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

View PostMac, on 25 April 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

Yeah, misplaced loyalty.

Last year's concerts were another mistake. As was the misguided contract extension for Sheridan, though admittedly at the time there weren't too many dissenting voices. But might his biggest mistake actually be overestimating the potential support we have as a club?

Ño he would have built a bigger ground (changed the spec)

#38 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 25 April 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

I heard today a successful local businessman was invited in to offer suggestions, free of charge, as to where to we could improve our profitability.

He spent four days of his own time in the club offering his thoughts and thereafter didn't have any calls or emails returned by the club.

Subsequently he withdrew his sponsorship and spends his money elsewhere.

That's very telling
A new hope.

#39 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

He's not been the only one to go in and thereafter be ignored or worse.

#40 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostSkywalker, on 26 April 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

Prior to DA’s involvement we were a club averaging around 3000 per Home game. To be averaging over 6000 now on a consistent basis is no small feat especially given the current economic climate.

That said, given the overall populous of Chesterfield and the surrounding area, the potential for increased attendances is there. The problem we face is converting the locals who frequent other local clubs such as the Sheffield clubs, Derby and Forest. If we were to get promoted into the Championship we would start to add to the fan base on both a consistent and ‘part-time’ basis in terms of numbers, as people who currently don’t frequent our games would start to associate us with being a team worth investing time in.

For me, one of the best decisions made by the club was to have the youth teams based at Shirebrook. This will entice a future generation of youngsters from an area traditionally loyal to Mansfield to start supporting the Spireites. It also extends our coverage of the team into an area that is starved of any footballing inspiration.

It does not make any difference at all being at shirebrook the best place for our academy to be would be north of chesterfield being at shirebrook does not entice people from mansfield as you have to go through a process to get in the academy...the facilities at shirebrook are dreadful for academy level.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users