Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Next Seasons Team - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Next Seasons Team

#41 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

View Postdim view, on 18 March 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

Seems to me there's some weird thinking going on on this thread. The squad is in promotion form yet everybody wants a total clear out to get to some unknown utopia. Should the defence be kept together? Course it should, so if Yarney and Hollis are available, get 'em. Weston is a first pick by both managers for a reason. Keep him. In my opinion hardly any players from other sides have stood out as better than ours. I'd dispense with squad players and Denton, then do a bit of smart acquisition in a couple of key positions.

I don't totally disagree with your thinking but the starting point is those 13 players who will be still under contract -

Jalal, Evans, Carter, Rowley, Maguire, Amantchi, Rawson, Sharman, Shaw, Westbury, Boden, Denton, and Smith.

Of those Amantchi, Rawson and Sharman are kids with little to no experience. Of the remaining 8 you suggest moving Denton on and we don't know if Westbury is going to be up to it. That leaves 6 and Maguire has hardly been involved in our "promotion form".

So, the rest of the squad has been made up of loanees and OOC players. So there is an argument about keeping certain ones, whether loanees or not, if it suits both parties bearing in mind certain players will be on higher league wages. However, if it doesn't suit both parties then surely this underlines the need for a high level of recruitment.

Even if we keep say Yarney, Hollis, Weston, Barry & JBW we will still need another 5 or 6 players.

#42 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

Seems to me there's some weird thinking going on on this thread. The squad is in promotion form yet everybody wants a total clear out to get to some unknown utopia. Should the defence be kept together? Course it should, so if Yarney and Hollis are available, get 'em. Weston is a first pick by both managers for a reason. Keep him. In my opinion hardly any players from other sides have stood out as better than ours. I'd dispense with squad players and Denton, then do a bit of smart acquisition in a couple of key positions.

Yarney might make a decent addition. I'd be disappointed if Hollis played for us again once his loan finishes. Are there any other options than picking Weston every week? One thing he has is a reasonable engine. He's about the only one in the middle who does.

View Postdtp, on 18 March 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

I don't totally disagree with your thinking but the starting point is those 13 players who will be still under contract -

Jalal, Evans, Carter, Rowley, Maguire, Amantchi, Rawson, Sharman, Shaw, Westbury, Boden, Denton, and Smith.

Of those Amantchi, Rawson and Sharman are kids with little to no experience. Of the remaining 8 you suggest moving Denton on and we don't know if Westbury is going to be up to it. That leaves 6 and Maguire has hardly been involved in our "promotion form".

So, the rest of the squad has been made up of loanees and OOC players. So there is an argument about keeping certain ones, whether loanees or not, if it suits both parties bearing in mind certain players will be on higher league wages. However, if it doesn't suit both parties then surely this underlines the need for a high level of recruitment.

Even if we keep say Yarney, Hollis, Weston, Barry & JBW we will still need another 5 or 6 players.

Of those under contract I think only Boden and Carter are definite starters next season with perhaps Evans and Smith. Big summer ahead.

#43 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 17 March 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

I’d be surprised if Barry isn’t here unless he wants to leave

Won’t he be on high wages as he was signed as a league 2 player? Sheridan could do better for the expenditure

#44 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 17 March 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

I’d be surprised if Barry isn’t here unless he wants to leave

Given he's out of contract, unless Sheridan wants to keep him, it wont be Barry's choice.

#45 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

View Posthilly81, on 18 March 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

Yarney might make a decent addition. I'd be disappointed if Hollis played for us again once his loan finishes. Are there any other options than picking Weston every week? One thing he has is a reasonable engine. He's about the only one in the middle who does.

Of those under contract I think only Boden and Carter are definite starters next season with perhaps Evans and Smith. Big summer ahead.

I'm in favour of a big clear out and an infusion of players with energy and more physicality. Weir Weston and JBW would be among the cull

#46 User is online   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

Possibly the biggest factor in our favour will be that players will have seen the impact JS has had on the team and will want to play for him because they can sense a winners medal

#47 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

If there's any 'weird thinking' going on, it's coming from you IMO. The fact that we are struggling to survive at level 5 suggests drastic action is needed to make a credible attempt at actually winning this league. I do think some of us are going overboard, however, with the ' clear 'em all out and start again' approach. For example, I'd keep Denton as he gives all opponents at this level problems, and he has a decent goals/assists record. I can't agree with your wish to retain Yarney and Hollis; although Hollis has performed slightly better recently, he is so easily turned and outpaced that he's a constant liability. As for Yarney, he not only doesn't look good enough, but he also looks absolutely not bothered- I know McCallum, the Eastleigh striker, is good, but when he scored against us the other week, Yarney made NO attempt to hamper him, even though he was next to him, and he didn't look bothered in the slightest when the ball went into our net. We will need a team full of fighters in every position to get out of this league , and I think JS now knows that, and will address the problem.
On the question of opposition players who have impressed, obviously McCallum is up there, but he will probably get picked up by a team in L2; there was a midfielder I thought was excellent, but can't remember which game it was in. It was a fairly recent home game, and it could have been Mottley-Henry playing for Harrogate, though I think he's more of a winger, while the bloke I'm thinking of was completely dominating midfield. Whatever way you look at it, the task of assembling a squad to get us back to L2 will be very difficult; the better quality players we need to bring in will have to be convinced that DA really means to back his manager, otherwise they won't even consider coming here. Interesting times ahead!

#48 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

Gateshead had a decent midfield that passed well and broke with pace, maybe we could sign them all lol

#49 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

View Postsophocles, on 18 March 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

If there's any 'weird thinking' going on, it's coming from you IMO. The fact that we are struggling to survive at level 5 suggests drastic action is needed to make a credible attempt at actually winning this league. I do think some of us are going overboard, however, with the ' clear 'em all out and start again' approach. For example, I'd keep Denton as he gives all opponents at this level problems, and he has a decent goals/assists record. I can't agree with your wish to retain Yarney and Hollis; although Hollis has performed slightly better recently, he is so easily turned and outpaced that he's a constant liability. As for Yarney, he not only doesn't look good enough, but he also looks absolutely not bothered- I know McCallum, the Eastleigh striker, is good, but when he scored against us the other week, Yarney made NO attempt to hamper him, even though he was next to him, and he didn't look bothered in the slightest when the ball went into our net. We will need a team full of fighters in every position to get out of this league , and I think JS now knows that, and will address the problem.
On the question of opposition players who have impressed, obviously McCallum is up there, but he will probably get picked up by a team in L2; there was a midfielder I thought was excellent, but can't remember which game it was in. It was a fairly recent home game, and it could have been Mottley-Henry playing for Harrogate, though I think he's more of a winger, while the bloke I'm thinking of was completely dominating midfield. Whatever way you look at it, the task of assembling a squad to get us back to L2 will be very difficult; the better quality players we need to bring in will have to be convinced that DA really means to back his manager, otherwise they won't even consider coming here. Interesting times ahead!

Shez has done well to get decent results out of this squad but it's clear from the home games we fall way short of a becoming a top team at this level without a big turnover in the squad

#50 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

Can’t believe I’m saying it, but I thought Oscar Gobern had a good game against us for Eastleigh, Was also impressed with their defender Jones long before he scored the winner. Dominated Denton (a lot of fouls too though), looked fairly quick, solid and obviously not afraid to break from defence and bring the ball out.
Thought Kosylo played well in both games against us for Halifax but he’s a d*ck.

#51 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:44 AM

Also, can’t even remember who he played for but a big striker called Beck caused our defence a lot of problems fairly recently.

#52 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 18 March 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

Also, can’t even remember who he played for but a big striker called Beck caused our defence a lot of problems fairly recently.

Harrogate
Here we go again!

#53 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

My thoughts are it's unlikely Yarney will want to stay for money reasons, and I wouldn't particularly want him anyway, makes too many mistakes and seems not bothered. Hollis is too slow and a liability in critical situations. Denton we need to keep if only as a super sub and his aerial presence is needed sometimes. Nor fussed whether Weston stays or goes as he can play well but is inconsistent. Same applies to Weir. Smith we will keep. JBW can only play for 45 mins due to fitness. So at least 5 players needed for the first team.

#54 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 18 March 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

My thoughts are it's unlikely Yarney will want to stay for money reasons, and I wouldn't particularly want him anyway, makes too many mistakes and seems not bothered. Hollis is too slow and a liability in critical situations. Denton we need to keep if only as a super sub and his aerial presence is needed sometimes. Nor fussed whether Weston stays or goes as he can play well but is inconsistent. Same applies to Weir. Smith we will keep. JBW can only play for 45 mins due to fitness. So at least 5 players needed for the first team.

So, in a different way, you have come to a similar conclusion as I have in previous posts.

#55 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

View Postdtp, on 18 March 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

So, in a different way, you have come to a similar conclusion as I have in previous posts.

Great minds and all that.

#56 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

I beg to differ about Hollis and Denton, but otherwise you've got a point. It never ceases to amaze me how much a player can improve when he's playing for a winning team with a lot of confidence, and the reverse applies, as we've been made to witness for three years. The trick, of course, is identifying just who those players might be, and which ones aren't going to be much different whatever the state of play. Good luck to Shez on that one.
Personally I'd build a rock-solid defence and start from there, which means an injection of pace and probably a bit of money, but after that I'd make haste slowly. You could chuck a lot of brass away persuading has-beens from the leagues to come down to our level.

#57 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

View Posth again, on 18 March 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

I beg to differ about Hollis and Denton, but otherwise you've got a point. It never ceases to amaze me how much a player can improve when he's playing for a winning team with a lot of confidence, and the reverse applies, as we've been made to witness for three years. The trick, of course, is identifying just who those players might be, and which ones aren't going to be much different whatever the state of play. Good luck to Shez on that one.
Personally I'd build a rock-solid defence and start from there, which means an injection of pace and probably a bit of money, but after that I'd make haste slowly. You could chuck a lot of brass away persuading has-beens from the leagues to come down to our level.

No more has beens please. I've totally had enough of the SEB's , COG's, and MAF's thank you very much. Much prefer a hungry youngster who wants to move up to League status asap.

#58 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

The club has had a losing mentality for too long, and none of the players out of contract in summer have done enough to justify extensions- too many of them have been part of that mentality, and full credit to Sheridan for squeezing away wins out of them.
I'm of the clear-em-out and start again school of thought , and I reckon (hope!) Shez is too.
Also, the likes of JBW, Weir and Barry would surely have to take pay cuts if their deals were extended.
These go to eleven.

#59 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

View Posthilly81, on 18 March 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Given he's out of contract, unless Sheridan wants to keep him, it wont be Barry's choice.

That’s my point I think Shez will, albeit in reduced wages

#60 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

I can see Craig Davies and Anthony Gerard joining in the summer
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users