Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Problem With The Strikers Do They Get The Service? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem With The Strikers Do They Get The Service?

#1 User is offline   The Whistler 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:20 AM

Just want to throw this into the mix. Are the strikers getting the service from the midfielders.

We play with wing backs, service has not been good.
How many passes are thread through to the strikers to run onto?
Bongo was struggling to score freely before he got injured, he was only picking up scraps.
Asante is being/was played out of position. Brought back from 9 months out injured too quickly and now looks exhausted.

My opinion for what it is worth is the fault lies with not having a creative midfielder, one that can put balls into space behind the defence.

With regards to Quigley I still think he will come good, we tend to use him like Denton, a target man with the high balls, His last team did not play him as that. Look at you tube some good goals scored.

#2 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:20 AM

View PostThe Whistler, on 18 May 2022 - 09:20 AM, said:

Just want to throw this into the mix. Are the strikers getting the service from the midfielders.

Bongo was struggling to score freely before he got injured, he was only picking up scraps.
Asante is being/was played out of position. Brought back from 9 months out injured too quickly and now looks exhausted.

My opinion for what it is worth is the fault lies with not having a creative midfielder, one that can put balls into space behind the defence.

With regards to Quigley I still think he will come good, we tend to use him like Denton, a target man with the high balls, His last team did not play him as that. Look at you tube some good goals scored.

Asante not happy then?
These go to eleven.

#3 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:29 AM

The short answer is no! The longer answer is, we have little or creativity in midfield as you suggested our delivery from out wide is erratic
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#4 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:42 AM

Which is why there is so much discussion about what Mandeville does. Does anybody know?

Ironically, whilst I agree entirely with you, it only took one full match back by Rowe to appreciate what we have been missing. He does what you say needs doing.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#5 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:50 AM

View Postdim view, on 18 May 2022 - 09:42 AM, said:

Which is why there is so much discussion about what Mandeville does. Does anybody know?

Ironically, whilst I agree entirely with you, it only took one full match back by Rowe to appreciate what we have been missing. He does what you say needs doing.

The loss of Clarke for the majority of the season can't be overstated when it comes to threading balls through.

#6 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:52 AM

View PostGoku, on 18 May 2022 - 09:50 AM, said:

The loss of Clarke for the majority of the season can't be overstated when it comes to threading balls through.

I think he's been the biggest loss behind the obvious loss of Tshimanga. Kellerman looked initially to have through balls in the locker when he first got a run in the team but these dried up along with his form.

#7 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:59 AM

We've missed Clarke a lot in my opinion.

After him the two players that can move the ball forward are Khan and Oyeleke who have also not featured much.

Mandeville is 2nd fiddle to Clarke and wouldn't have played anywhere near as much if he was fit, and his goals/assist record speaks for itself. I reckon our best assisters this season have been the full backs (King probably?) which says a lot about the quality in our midfield

#8 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 18 May 2022 - 10:13 AM

View PostCFC91, on 18 May 2022 - 09:59 AM, said:

After him the two players that can move the ball forward are Khan and Oyeleke who have also not featured much.

Mandeville is 2nd fiddle to Clarke and wouldn't have played anywhere near as much if he was fit, and his goals/assist record speaks for itself. I reckon our best assisters this season have been the full backs (King probably?) which says a lot about the quality in our midfield

Some gentleman has taken the trouble of compiling all the goals and assists this season in the pinned thread at the top of the board ;) Top assisters are:

King IIII III
Carline III
Gunning III
Mandeville III

#9 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 10:14 AM

fully agree on the clarke issue, massive miss, king is the main provider i'm sure of it, yes he wastes a lot of opportunities but can't really knock him as he tries to make things happen, rowe's return certainly helps this area of the game as he can see pictures of the game, his midfield play even though he's a striker is right up there, what i liked about rowe on sunday was that in the 2nd half he went and got hold of the game and started getting on the ball in deep areas, if there is one criticism i'd level at mandeville is that he rarely does this, he is a good footballer but never takes it upon himself to want to go and run the show.
mccourt can find a pass but it's become a rare weapon for him as he's another who seems miles off the pace so often nowhere near the ball. yep big issue really.

#10 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:00 AM

Threading balls through a defence to a strikers run is difficult, and also depends on the striker having his head screwed on. Crosses are much easier to a striker who doesn't have to move far.
So why are we lousy at crosses? First thing that needs sorting out in the close season.

#11 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:00 PM

Quigleys play up to the edge of the box is better than Dentons, as is his movement, unfortunately all that is let down by his inability to hit the target, he's been in some great positions and had some great chances, but missed the target completely more often than hitting it,... get rid.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#12 User is offline   hewittfan 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:53 PM

The argument could also be turned round to say that they would have had more assists in recent months if the strikers were finishing better.

As for not featuring much, Khan apparently appeared in 37 league games this season, the fourth most in the squad, but interestingly only the tenth most in terms of minutes on the pitch (1,955). Oyeleke was just behind him in terms of minutes (1,619 minutes in 24 league games). Assuming they're going to be part of the plan for next year, we need to be getting more minutes out of both of them.

#13 User is offline   ArcticSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:08 PM

View PostGoku, on 18 May 2022 - 10:13 AM, said:

Some gentleman has taken the trouble of compiling all the goals and assists this season in the pinned thread at the top of the board ;) Top assisters are:

King IIII III
Carline III
Gunning III
Mandeville III

Carline (who's been crocked more or less the entire season) and Gunning have the same number of assists as Mandeville who's ludicrously played pretty much every second). He should be ashamed of himself.
Happiness is like a cake. Have too much; and you get sick of it.

#14 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:39 AM

View PostArcticSpireite, on 18 May 2022 - 11:08 PM, said:

Carline (who's been crocked more or less the entire season) and Gunning have the same number of assists as Mandeville who's ludicrously played pretty much every second). He should be ashamed of himself.

You forgot to add that Carline has also scored as many goals as Mandeville too.

But you can take comfort in the fact that Mandeville will be the first name on the team sheet for the Halifax game.

#15 User is online   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2022 - 03:00 PM

Apart from Manderville on a few occasions such as the 2 he set up at Bromley, the balls into the box have been generally poor. King needs to improve his corners sometimes we are lucky he makes the near post. With Danny Rowe playing a bit deeper we have more chance of quality balls coming from him into the box. Just need the strikers to get on the end of them.
lindave

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users