Quigley

#41 User is offline   Zeus 

• Hellenic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Σπαΐραïτς

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:33 PM

View PostHoneyTrippa, on 18 May 2022 - 01:13 PM, said:

Quiggers should have scored at Halifax in the League. He was clean through to put us 1-0 up at a time when we were dominating the game, but sailed it over the bar. Lets hope if he plays next week that he can put his demons to bed.

If we're trusting to hope, let's hope we have other options available.
@MancSpireites

#42 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:15 PM

There's two main basic problems with Quigley as a target man in my opinion.

1) He spends too long neutralising himself by wrestling with, holding and leaning back on the CH. The CH holds him and they both end up on the floor. No advantage to us unless he gets a freekick; which he usually doesn't

2) He moves into a final position too early and then stays there. He then has to jump up rather than jump at the ball. He usually ends up below the ball either cos his timing is off or he is making it easy for their CH to hold him.

Its concerning that he can't or won't get smarter and get freekicks and also sort out his positioning, timing and heading.

It would be ok if he was an 18 year old inexperienced player. At his age and with his experience (and at this level) he shouldn't have these basic target man problems.

#43 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:18 PM

View PostBrookie, on 17 May 2022 - 06:32 PM, said:

For me Quigley is the latest recipient of the Bill Curry useless signing award ( One for the older fans)

But the award goes to....

Jason Lee
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#44 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:00 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 18 May 2022 - 03:15 PM, said:

There's two main basic problems with Quigley as a target man in my opinion.

1) He spends too long neutralising himself by wrestling with, holding and leaning back on the CH. The CH holds him and they both end up on the floor. No advantage to us unless he gets a freekick; which he usually doesn't

2) He moves into a final position too early and then stays there. He then has to jump up rather than jump at the ball. He usually ends up below the ball either cos his timing is off or he is making it easy for their CH to hold him.

Its concerning that he can't or won't get smarter and get freekicks and also sort out his positioning, timing and heading.

It would be ok if he was an 18 year old inexperienced player. At his age and with his experience (and at this level) he shouldn't have these basic target man problems.

All perfectly correct, but it doesn't explain how his scoring record at Yeovil was good -the one club of the very many he has had where he has got into double figures.

#45 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:10 PM

View Postboot, on 18 May 2022 - 07:00 PM, said:

All perfectly correct, but it doesn't explain how his scoring record at Yeovil was good -the one club of the very many he has had where he has got into double figures.

Cock up signing by the Dweeb

#46 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:20 AM

16 in 53 games according to Wikipedia. Not particularly great.

#47 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:32 AM

Could this be JR raising the middle finger to the club knowing what was coming ?

#48 User is offline   Looker-on 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:09 AM

View PostLincs Spireite, on 19 May 2022 - 06:32 AM, said:

Could this be JR raising the middle finger to the club knowing what was coming ?

Quigley signed 20/1/22; Rowe suspended 24/1/22. I think Rowe was suspended as soon as the accusation was made, which was very shortly after the incident (allegedly) took place. Not sure the club would have spent money on a player for a boss they knew they were getting rid of, unless they still had faith in his judgement of a player's worth.
It's nice to be able to Trust again.

#49 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:02 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 May 2022 - 06:20 AM, said:

11 last season for Yeovil and 8 in 23 for them this season which would have perhaps put him on course for around 15 for them over a full season. Not prolific but respectable. Previously done nowt with other clubs, of which there is a list a mile long of loans and being released We are the only club that has paid a fee.

A hat- trick at Halifax it is then.

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 May 2022 - 06:20 AM, said:

#50 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:26 AM

Goals / games stats are interesting. According to Wikipedia as of today.

Quigley scored 55 in 257 games (21%). This includes 10 goals scored below National League level and 1 goal in League 1

Payne 71 in 316 (22%). Includes 24 goals scored below National League, 3 goals in League 2 and 24 goals in League 1

Tyson 126 in 568 (22%). Includes 3 goals scored below the National League, 4 in the National League. All his other goals (122) were in higher leagues.

Denton 142 in 317 (45%). Includes 119 goals scored below the National League, none above

Kabby 124 in 264 (47%). Includes 62 goals scored below the National League, none above

In terms of a trend of goalscoring in the past 4 years:

Denton got 23 in 78 in 2018-22 at Town (29%).

Quigley got 16 in 53 in 2020-22 at Yeovil (30%).

Kabby got 41 in 88 in 2019-21 at Boreham Wood (47%) and 25 in 33 in 2019 -22 at Town (81%).

Neither Payne nor Tyson have scored at a comparable rate to the above in the last 4 years

#51 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:52 AM

Although I feel like I’m entering into a debate on the lines of whether I’d prefer the sickness bug or a bout of diarrhoea, FWIW it has to be Quigley over Denton every time.

Neither look like hitting a cows backside with a banjo but I can’t believe how ineffective Denton is in engaging the play high up the pitch when out of possession.

As poor as Quigley has been, he does attempt to press the defenders playing out and defends, in a fashion, from the front.

With Denton in the side it’s ridiculous how the centre halves can stroll out at will into our midfield, a midfield that is weak at the moment in itself and needs all the protection it can get.
A very difficult job as a lone front man but running hard up there out of possession is key.

Both poor options but Quigley’s workrate without the ball edges it for me.

#52 User is offline   prolurker 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 10:18 AM

View PostValley Blues, on 19 May 2022 - 09:52 AM, said:

Although I feel like I’m entering into a debate on the lines of whether I’d prefer the sickness bug or a bout of diarrhoea, FWIW it has to be Quigley over Denton every time.

Neither look like hitting a cows backside with a banjo but I can’t believe how ineffective Denton is in engaging the play high up the pitch when out of possession.

As poor as Quigley has been, he does attempt to press the defenders playing out and defends, in a fashion, from the front.

With Denton in the side it’s ridiculous how the centre halves can stroll out at will into our midfield, a midfield that is weak at the moment in itself and needs all the protection it can get.
A very difficult job as a lone front man but running hard up there out of possession is key.

This was my biggest takeaway from Sunday. As soon as Denton came off and Tyson came on, we found it easier to trap them in with the press. They were just wandering past Denton and pinging balls into the midfield.

Not to mention, Tyson probably won more headers than Denton aswell :wacko:

Rowe and Quigley to start if he's fit and Tyson to come off the Bench.

This post has been edited by prolurker: 19 May 2022 - 10:19 AM

#53 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:15 AM

hard to disagree with that

#54 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:23 AM

View Postboot, on 19 May 2022 - 08:02 AM, said:

11 last season for Yeovil and 8 in 23 for them this season which would have perhaps put him on course for around 15 for them over a full season. Not prolific but respectable. Previously done nowt with other clubs, of which there is a list a mile long of loans and being released We are the only club that has paid a fee.

If Quigley were to argue that the current motley crew of players that should have been providing him with chances is probably the worst in his career then he's probably not exaggerating..
It's true he's missed at least 3 real sitters but he should have been presented with far more opportunities.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#55 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:33 AM

With only one striker the two central defenders have the easy option of passing it between themselves before having plenty of time for the forward pass. Doesn't matter if it's Quigley or Denton, pressing from the front doesn't work unless other players are pushing up from midfield, and our midfielders don't have the pace to be caught too far up.
Personally I'd play Quigley to start if it's a choice between the two, with Denton to come on at 70 minutes if we're being kept out, but there's always the factor of Denton's defending against big teams.

#56 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:36 AM

View Postdim view, on 19 May 2022 - 11:23 AM, said:

If Quigley were to argue that the current motley crew of players that should have been providing him with chances is probably the worst in his career then he's probably not exaggerating..
It's true he's missed at least 3 real sitters but he should have been presented with far more opportunities.

Denton's problem in a nutshell. Crosses, crosses, crosses!!!

#57 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:09 PM

View Postborn in 1866, on 18 May 2022 - 04:18 PM, said:

But the award goes to....

Jason Lee

Then O'Gravy

#58 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:14 PM

I'd have Tyson on for the last 25 (hopefully converting the 2-3 chances he'll get)

Or Start Tyson and bring on the youth lad that's been scoring for fun for the last 20

This post has been edited by monte: 19 May 2022 - 12:14 PM

#59 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 01:08 PM

View Posth again, on 19 May 2022 - 11:36 AM, said:

Denton's problem in a nutshell. Crosses, crosses, crosses!!!

Unfortunately, quite a bit of work has to be done before a player is in a position to cross a ball.

The few crosses which did go into the box on Sunday Denton got nowhere near or did nowt with them.

If a cross goes into a good area to be attacked he doesn't do that. He needs crosses aimed straight at him which makes it easy for defenders to mark him.

It seems we are trying to make Denton's shortcomings the fault of others.

#60 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2022 - 03:03 PM

I wouldn't mind signing the Woking no.9 Ethiogu? (cant spell it), he is tall, good in the air, quick, good with his feet aggressive and scores goals. He would be a better option than Quigley and probably Denton.
lindave

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users