• You cannot reply to this topic

Jake Daniels Blackpool fc.

#41 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2022 - 06:39 PM

Misnomer, on 17 May 2022 - 04:42 PM, said:

Yep. I'm already bored to death with it and the usual suspects jumping on the bandwagon..."oh, he's just so brave"..who gives a shiit! Coming out as gay in 2022 has never been brave.
What Justin Fashanu did was brave.... and I mean, BRAVE!

Do "the usual suspects" mean pretty much the entire media?

'Cos that's who I've heard applauding the lad (okay, Simon Jordan adopted a predictably scornfull attitude, but he's paid to be an ass).

Then are you gay? Seventeen? An emerging footballer? Gonna guess the answer's a big 'No' on all counts, so a bit presumptive to tell everyone how brave or not Daniels' coming out really is, too.

I agree it's probably much easier now than when Fashanu did it. Thankfully the progressives in society (or 'woaks', as they're sometimes dubbed these days) have created a far more tolerant environment. However as a straight man I'm happy to listen to the countless gay people celebrating this step forward and join the applause...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 17 May 2022 - 06:43 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#42 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 May 2022 - 06:42 PM

The Earl of Chesterfield, on 17 May 2022 - 06:39 PM, said:

'Cos that's who I've heard applauding the lad (okay, Simon Jordan adopted a predictably scornfull attitude, but he's paid to be an ass).

And are you gay? Seventeen? An emerging footballer? Gonna guess the answer's a big 'No', so a bit difficult to tell everyone how brave or not Daniels really is.

I agree it's probably much easier now than when Fashanu did it. Thankfully the progressives in society (or 'woaks', as they're sometimes dubbed these days) have created a far more tolerant environment. However as a straight man I'm happy to listen to the countless gay people celebrating this step forward and join the applause...

Fashanu didn’t come out until after he retired I think. He actually received a large payout from the Daily Star, I believe denying a story where they tried to “out him” as gay while still playing. Thankfully times have evolved.
East stand second class citizen.

#43 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 17 May 2022 - 06:51 PM

Mr Mercury, on 17 May 2022 - 06:42 PM, said:

Fashanu didn’t come out until after he retired I think. He actually received a large payout from the Daily Star, I believe denying a story where they tried to “out him” as gay while still playing. Thankfully times have evolved.

came out in 91, the tail end of his career.
his brother john doesnt come out of it very well.

#44 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:33 AM

The Earl of Chesterfield, on 17 May 2022 - 06:39 PM, said:

Then are you gay? Seventeen? An emerging footballer? Gonna guess the answer's a big 'No' on all counts, so a bit presumptive to tell everyone how brave or not Daniels' coming out really is, too.

Have you ever taught or do you teach in a school over the last five to ten years, in the age of social media; where there's never been a better/easier/trendy/’normal' time to 'come out' as (insert anything that isn't hertrosexual)? Or, have you worked with accademy footballers? I'm guessing the answer's a big NO.

Because, if you currently do or have, you'd realise that, to this generation of young people, coming out as gay would be almost as dull as being heterosexual. It's nothing to do with being 'WOKE'.

For instance, my nephew (now 20), heterosexual, has had openly 'gay' mates since he was at secondary school. When I taught, there were innumerable kids who were either gender fluid or trans... and I mean, in every class, in every year. I've also worked with several openly gay accademy footballers.

The 'applause' isn't coming from the younger generations; it's the older folk, stuck in the past, who are clapping like performing seals; because the last bastion of macho 'MEN' territory has been breached.

Pop round to my nephew's poker evening nights (not too far from you, actually) and you can listen all night long to his gay mates telling you what a 'not a big deal' it is to be a gay sportsperson.

This post has been edited by Misnomer: 18 May 2022 - 03:36 AM

#45 User is offline   Zeus 

• Hellenic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Σπαΐραïτς

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:50 AM

Misnomer, on 18 May 2022 - 03:33 AM, said:

Have you ever taught or do you teach in a school over the last five to ten years, in the age of social media; where there's never been a better/easier/trendy/'normal' time to 'come out' as (insert anything that isn't hertrosexual)? Or, have you worked with accademy footballers? I'm guessing the answer's a big NO.

Because, if you currently do or have, you'd realise that, to this generation of young people, coming out as gay would be almost as dull as being heterosexual. It's nothing to do with being 'WOKE'.

For instance, my nephew (now 20), heterosexual, has had openly 'gay' mates since he was at secondary school. When I taught, there were innumerable kids who were either gender fluid or trans... and I mean, in every class, in every year. I've also worked with several openly gay accademy footballers.

The 'applause' isn't coming from the younger generations; it's the older folk, stuck in the past, who are clapping like performing seals; because the last bastion of macho 'MEN' territory has been breached.

Pop round to my nephew's poker evening nights (not too far from you, actually) and you can listen all night long to his gay mates telling you what a 'not a big deal' it is to be a gay sportsperson.

He's the only active professional footballer in his country to take this step. There will obviously, rightfully, be troves of support for him when the homophobic abuse sadly comes, but the inevitable nature of that (and it has already occurred on social media) means that yes, he is 100% unequivocally brave for coming out. The environment he operates in is quite clearly not an accurate cross-section of the society the rest of us move in.
@MancSpireites

#46 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:52 AM

RN Blue, on 17 May 2022 - 06:45 AM, said:

When I coached under 8s we had a mix of lads and lasses and one of the lads was camper than a row of pink tents. He had zero interest in the football and just did cartwheels with the girls, he also played with his sister's dolly at home (by his own admission).

When he came out at age 16 it was no surprise to anyone apart from his dad and grandparents who refused to believe it, in fact it was hidden from his grandparents for a while as they are very old fashioned and it would have horrified them, not sure they have fully accepted it yet and he's 20 now.

His peer group couldn't have cared less, so I believe that ultimately those bigots who are homophobic will gradually fade out as the younger generations who grow up with openly homosexual individuals from an early age will have less bigoted views in this regard and are more accepting than older generations.

I remember my mum telling me that her male hairdresser told her he was beaten up by his ex miner dad when he came out, that was I think the early 90s, very sad.

I'm struggling with this.

Why is a boy who does cartwheels with girls and plays with dolls more likely to be gay? I'd conclude that he is less likely to be gay and more likely to wish he was female.

A gay guy is sexually attracted to guys, so the boy in your example must have been an outcast in his male peer group and found nicer mates amongst his girl friends.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#47 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:06 AM

I'll be glad when the interest in this thread diminishes and it disappears onto page 2, cos' every time I glance down the thread titles I see this one and get horrible recollections of hangovers and banging heads.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#48 User is offline   kh83 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 02:27 PM

As a father of gay son it's really pleasing that this lad and others are confident enough to come out, that's how it should be and good luck to young Jake.

Bit concerned that a lot of people on this thread have such a negative perception of fellow Football fans. To hear some of you talk, this lad is going to lynched by mobs of homophobic Football thugs at every away game. In reality, there will sadly be the odd individual who lets themselves down but on the grand scheme of things 99.9% of fans with either celebrate the fact that he has come out or just get on with their lives as it's really not a big deal. If it was 1983 then ugly scenes will have been seen but thankfully we've moved on.
We 8 Mansfield oh we 8 Mansfield!!

#49 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:07 PM

kh83, on 18 May 2022 - 02:27 PM, said:

As a father of gay son it's really pleasing that this lad and others are confident enough to come out, that's how it should be and good luck to young Jake.

Bit concerned that a lot of people on this thread have such a negative perception of fellow Football fans. To hear some of you talk, this lad is going to lynched by mobs of homophobic Football thugs at every away game. In reality, there will sadly be the odd individual who lets themselves down but on the grand scheme of things 99.9% of fans with either celebrate the fact that he has come out or just get on with their lives as it's really not a big deal. If it was 1983 then ugly scenes will have been seen but thankfully we've moved on.

But you will notice that the ones that expressing that view are the more narrow minded members of this board.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#50 User is offline   hewittfan 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:00 PM

kh83, on 18 May 2022 - 02:27 PM, said:

Agreed (although I don't think it's quite at 99.9% yet - but I'd love to be proved wrong!)

#51 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:18 PM

Patrice Evra said that every dressing room he’s been in has been openly homophobic apparently.

Idrissa Gueye is refusing to wear a PSG shirt with a rainbow on in support of LGBT ppl. Koulibaly is supporting him. Interesting really. Wonder if he would refuse to wear a shirt with an anti-racism logo on it. Not a great look.

This post has been edited by Goku: 18 May 2022 - 05:21 PM

#52 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2022 - 10:22 PM

Goku, on 18 May 2022 - 05:18 PM, said:

Patrice Evra said that every dressing room he’s been in has been openly homophobic apparently.

Idrissa Gueye is refusing to wear a PSG shirt with a rainbow on in support of LGBT ppl. Koulibaly is supporting him. Interesting really. Wonder if he would refuse to wear a shirt with an anti-racism logo on it. Not a great look.

https://www.bbc.co.u...otball/61492696

Yep...

#53 User is offline   kh83 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2022 - 02:44 PM

Goku, on 18 May 2022 - 05:18 PM, said:

To be fair mate, not wanting to wear a rainbow doesn't mean you're homophobic. I mean he might be, we don't actually know but we can't judge people in that way. My Football team supported the rainbow laces campaign but not many of the lads actually put the laces in their boots and wore them, that doesn't mean they're homophobic either.
We 8 Mansfield oh we 8 Mansfield!!

#54 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 19 May 2022 - 03:17 PM

kh83, on 19 May 2022 - 02:44 PM, said:

To be fair mate, not wanting to wear a rainbow doesn't mean you're homophobic. I mean he might be, we don't actually know but we can't judge people in that way

Not certain what other reason there could be in this instance.

Paris St-Germain's Idrissa Gueye refused to play in a match to avoid wearing a rainbow symbol in support of LGBTQ+ rights, BBC Sport understands.

He is a practicing Muslim. Muslims typically aren't massive fans of homosexuality. In Senegal, homosexuality is illegal - this combined with his faith will, I assume, have contributed heavily to his decision to decline wearing the shirt. So it's understandable (to an extent) why he didn't agree to wear the shirt. I'm not sure why else he would take the action he has done if it isn't due to his dislike of homosexuality. Perhaps he has a specific issue with the day or the cause, in which case it would probably be helpful to specify the issue.

This post has been edited by Goku: 19 May 2022 - 03:19 PM

#55 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2022 - 04:23 PM

Misnomer, on 18 May 2022 - 03:33 AM, said:

Have you ever taught or do you teach in a school over the last five to ten years, in the age of social media; where there's never been a better/easier/trendy/’normal' time to 'come out' as (insert anything that isn't hertrosexual)? Or, have you worked with accademy footballers? I'm guessing the answer's a big NO.

Will do, thanks for the invite. E-mail me details and I'm sure it'll be quit informative...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users