• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matlock

#61 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

Assuming the rumour of him being offered the job on Friday are true, and his subsequent appearance at the game on Saturday, it would be fair to assume maybe he wanted to see us play before accepting the role?

And although commitment and effort was very good on Saturday, we were poor in terms of quality of play and against a stronger side I doubt we've have held on for the 1-0.

Its going to be interesting to see if he decides to stick largely with what he's got, allowing for injury returns or whether he pressures the board for more signings.

Bear in mind only 2 weeks ago the CEO (in all bar job title) publically stated we had maximised the salaray cap and were on a one in one out scenario for players. With Liddle sold and Wilkinson returning, allowing for Seb's return, we have 1 space to fill currently.

Will the new man be backed this month, or told to work with what he's got?

#62 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostThe Gimp, on 19 January 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

How close to first team action would you say Angel is?

Fetching and carrying, ready.
Passing, ready.
Positional play, ready.
Organising others, ready.
Stamina, ready.

So, it's all about the confidence he has in his leg standing up (pardon the pun).

It's Hird's current position that he and Dimaio are in contention for, and I assume there will be a vacancy as Hird will be shifted 'cos Anderson won't play. I'd play him if he says he's ready but I suppose they might also err on the side of caution what with the 2 week rest coming up.

All in all, dunno.

This post has been edited by dim view: 19 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#63 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 19 January 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Assuming the rumour of him being offered the job on Friday are true, and his subsequent appearance at the game on Saturday, it would be fair to assume maybe he wanted to see us play before accepting the role?

And although commitment and effort was very good on Saturday, we were poor in terms of quality of play and against a stronger side I doubt we've have held on for the 1-0.

Its going to be interesting to see if he decides to stick largely with what he's got, allowing for injury returns or whether he pressures the board for more signings.

Bear in mind only 2 weeks ago the CEO (in all bar job title) publically stated we had maximised the salaray cap and were on a one in one out scenario for players. With Liddle sold and Wilkinson returning, allowing for Seb's return, we have 1 space to fill currently.

Hasn't Carson said relegation is not an option? Based on that, he shouldn't have to pressure the board for signings.

#64 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

View PostGoku, on 19 January 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Hasn't Carson said relegation is not an option? Based on that, he shouldn't have to pressure the board for signings.

Unless Caldwell believes he can squeeze the necessary extra out of the current squad. I know it's unlikely but he might think that with a few changes to training, tactics, conditioning, morale, possible returning injuries that he has enough here to win games and move us up the table, and the longer he stays here the more improvements he will see.
As I said I know it's unlikely, but long shots do come off occasionally.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#65 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 19 January 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

Unless Caldwell believes he can squeeze the necessary extra out of the current squad. I know it's unlikely but he might think that with a few changes to training, tactics, conditioning, morale, possible returning injuries that he has enough here to win games and move us up the table, and the longer he stays here the more improvements he will see.

He ought to because most of them are under-performing.

As long as we don't lose anyone I think we'll be ok.

#66 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 19 January 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

True. We do have injured players gradually returning and players are individually underperforming but without a doubt in my mind we require a central mid, minimum.

#67 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostGoku, on 19 January 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

that's ok, but where does the ££ come from?

Assuming DA has had to loan the club money for December and January wages (like he had to in November) that's upwards of £400k in 3 months! Factor in pay offs for DW and DM (plus whoever GC decides he doesn't want) and were quickly running out of cash again!

#68 User is offline   peakblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 19 January 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Also he's got twokids,one who has autism.
Thats alot to think about when moving schools etc.

#69 User is offline   RGS 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

DW said German had suffered from a bad back recently

#70 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostRGS, on 19 January 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

DW said German had suffered from a bad back recently

Growing pains?

#71 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostGoku, on 19 January 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

True. We do have injured players gradually returning and players are individually underperforming but without a doubt in my mind we require a central mid, minimum.

I'd agree with that, somebody with a bit of dynamism about them, who can actually run with the ball and get us to attack through the middle sometimes (I think we are far too predictable). I think the kind of player we need will be at a premium though I'm hoping Caldwell can unearth a Phil Robinson type player.
I'd quite like to see an experienced winger who ariyibi and Mitchell can learn from.
Other targets? I still think keeper is a problem, if it was me I'd probably try and get rid of Anderson and bring in a centre half who is comfortable with the ball at his feet, a striker and a versatile full back are arguably further down my list.
And hopefully he will bring in resilient players with good fitness/injury records.

#72 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 19 January 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'd agree with that, somebody with a bit of dynamism about them, who can actually run with the ball and get us to attack through the middle sometimes (I think we are far too predictable). I think the kind of player we need will be at a premium though I'm hoping Caldwell can unearth a Phil Robinson type player.
I'd quite like to see an experienced winger who ariyibi and Mitchell can learn from.
Other targets? I still think keeper is a problem, if it was me I'd probably try and get rid of Anderson and bring in a centre half who is comfortable with the ball at his feet, a striker and a versatile full back are arguably further down my list.
And hopefully he will bring in resilient players with good fitness/injury records.

There are so many ball to juggle at the moment, I think it's unwise for him to jump into the market 'cos in two weeks time...

We might have our two first choice fullbacks back.
Nolan might be a much bigger threat playing with Angel.

I don't agree about a goalie or Anderson. He can head it and kick it. That will do for me in the state we are in.

In my opinion the squad weakness is out wide, where even though we have players that can occasionally do summat positive, none of them can put a defensive shift in. I'd want 2 Boco types. Maybe Dion will do as one.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users