• You cannot reply to this topic

Something I Read Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

This is something I read. Made me think how lucky we as a species are to exist and how stupid we are. We are destroying thw world that we live on and are hell bent on killing each other. As the only intelligent life known in the universe you would have thought we could all live together in peace. Sadly not

"After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with color, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble and enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of the Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#2 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

View Postfishini, on 26 November 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

This is something I read. Made me think how lucky we as a species are to exist and how stupid we are. We are destroying thw world that we live on and are hell bent on killing each other. As the only intelligent life known in the universe you would have thought we could all live together in peace. Sadly not

"After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with color, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble and enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of the Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"

Humans- the most stupid animal/species whatever you want to call us that inhabit the earth.
Every need got an ego to feed

#3 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

"After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with color, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble and enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it?"

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

and the planet will shortly be destroyed by ourselves due to our greed and naivety. The end.

#5 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

Goku said:

1451298141[/url]' post='1172240']
and the planet will shortly be destroyed by ourselves due to our greed and naivety. The end.

The planet will go on. The planet exists in a time scale that is difficult for us to understand. Even after the 5 mass extinctions in the past life has recovered and evolved into the most wonderous forms. It took a million years for life to begin again in earnest in North America following the Chicxulub impact event, starting with ferns, insects and the small mammals that managed to to hide underground. This was the epicentre of that impact event and life went on.
It will recover and evolve again. For the earth, a million years is but the blink of an eye, for us, a million years is 25% of our species and it's ancestors time on the planet. In a thousand years, humans will look back at us and wonder how we could have been so intelligent and innovative, and yet so monumentally stupid. On one hand we have science and technology that is developing at a pace that is unheard of so far in human history, yet we have wars based on imaginary deities that are based on magical thinking. We look at the Romans, and stare in awe at the aqueducts at the roads and the pantheon, yet shake our heads in bewilderment at some of the cultural practices they carried out. It will be the same for us in the future.

A new hope.

#6 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

View PostGoku, on 28 December 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

but surely the Super Saiyan will save us.....
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#7 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

If only such things were real :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic