• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sam Hird

#21 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

I would doubt there have been many on here who have been bigger critics of Hird than me. Yesterday was the best I've seen him play in a town shirt by far. He was pivotal in allowing the team to keep shape and didn't put a foot wrong all game. Perhaps Jimmy's suspension was a blessing in disguise because I don't think he could have played that role as well.

Also great to see Morsy so effective without his regular sidekick next to him.

Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on 13 April 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

I would doubt there have been many on here who have been bigger critics of Hird than me. Yesterday was the best I've seen him play in a town shirt by far. He was pivotal in allowing the team to keep shape and didn't put a foot wrong all game. Perhaps Jimmy's suspension was a blessing in disguise because I don't think he could have played that role as well.

Perhaps a 4-4-2 suits him better as he's stronger than Ryan. Two powerhouses in midfield that's for sure with Hird and Morsy, and both are very comfortable in possession. I'd love to see us take Hird on a cheaper deal, but for the life of me I can't see it happening.
#notapennymore

#23 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on 13 April 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Hird and Super Sammy Morsey were great yesterday and good to see Gardner looking Sharp.Roberts has to replace Kearns on Friday otherwise leave it as it is.
lindave

#24 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

View Postlindave, on 13 April 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

Hird and Super Sammy Morsey were great yesterday and good to see Gardner looking Sharp.Roberts has to replace Kearns on Friday otherwise leave it as it is.

Could we see Hird re sign for next season, we could do a lot worse.
God I hate this league.

#25 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

View Postlindave, on 13 April 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

When we win everybody's brilliant, when we lose they're all either rubbish or not trying. To be fair, it was a pretty good performance, but I've been trying to decide just why we were so on top. It wasn't the 4-4-2 formation, because Doyle and Richards don't really complement each other, and it wasn't the midfield, because although Hird had an OK game he isn't Jimmy Ryan, and if we'd lost we'd be complaining he didn't do much, either defending or attacking. He perhaps allowed Morsy to get forward a bit, but it's something of a negative plus, as it were.
The defence were OK after a bit of a rocky start, but it was probably Gardner's strength and direct running at them that unsettled Hartlepool and made the difference. It certainly makes a change to have somebody with the confidence to run straight at the heart of a defence, and shoot on sight - in fact it's the total opposite to what we've got used to, but it worked. And then he showed a neat bit of instant control in the penalty area and provided the pass for Doyle's brilliant goal. Shame he got an absolute belter of a cramp and had to go off. I'm sure he's going to be a striker sometime soon - he's got all the strengths.
The only disappointment was Kearns, who seems to be fading with every game. Still, leaving Devitt at Morecambe to screw Fleetwood seems to have been a master-stroke, so everything's lovely at the moment.
But Exeter will be giving it everything they've got, as they have to in their position. No pushover.

#26 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

Quietly goes about his business at a level below what he's used to. His experience could be invaluable in L1, definitely one to keep for when times get hard with injuries and suspensions.

#27 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostNitrous Oxide, on 13 April 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Quietly goes about his business at a level below what he's used to. His experience could be invaluable in L1, definitely one to keep for when times get hard with injuries and suspensions.

3 comments on your post, agree, agree AGREE, come the end of the season of sheridans 3 signings, togwell-i like but release, richards release, hird, I hope we keep but I fear cook will release

This post has been edited by jack bauer: 13 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

#28 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

I think you'd go a long way to find a player with a better attitude. Dropped, put on transfer list, dropped again, played out of position but not a word of complaint, puts everything into his performances even when struggling.

Contrast this to some players who moan and sulk on social networks, we would be very lucky if we found a better pro
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#29 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 14 April 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

I think you'd go a long way to find a player with a better attitude.

It's supply and demand in't it. Great pro. Very versatile. Played higher. So a great asset to the club if he can abide being a bench warmer barring injuries and if he would accept a new wage structure. I'd give him the opportunity to better himself if he can, but come back and talk if he's willing to accept a squad place in return for a 2 year contract. PC has other considerations as well, such as trying to judge the potential of Raglan, who on paper has similar attributes and who would cost (guess) maybe a third of Sam's salary.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#30 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

View Postdim view, on 14 April 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

It's supply and demand in't it. Great pro. Very versatile. Played higher. So a great asset to the club if he can abide being a bench warmer barring injuries and if he would accept a new wage structure. I'd give him the opportunity to better himself if he can, but come back and talk if he's willing to accept a squad place in return for a 2 year contract. PC has other considerations as well, such as trying to judge the potential of Raglan, who on paper has similar attributes and who would cost (guess) maybe a third of Sam's salary.

What would worry me is if Evatt got an injury, there is a little lack of experience at the back. Hird would fill this role. We've probably been a little lucky with injuries to central defenders this season so I would be happier with experienced cover.

#31 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 14 April 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

What would worry me is if Evatt got an injury, there is a little lack of experience at the back. Hird would fill this role. We've probably been a little lucky with injuries to central defenders this season so I would be happier with experienced cover.

You can just imagine the conversation:

CT "Hi Sam, lets have a chat about next season"
PC "Look, I know I dropped you, despite my much publicised selection policy, when you didn't deserve it, for a player obviously lacking fitness"
SH "yep, go on...."
PC "and I know I put you on the Transfer List, and left you on for a long time, despite you putting in some very good performances"
SH "ok"
PC "and played you out of position"
CT "and you have been nothing but a true professional whilst you've been here, and a real credit to yourself"
PC "I'd like to keep you for next season, as back up for Evatt/Cooper/Ryan/Morsy"
CT "and it will be on 60% of the basic wage you were on in a lower league"
PC "that OK?"
SH "see ya!"

#32 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Without wishing to open up the old pay debate again I can't see Hird commanding a big deal elsewhere. This may work in our favour should we aim to keep him on reduced terms.

#33 User is offline   BodieUK 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

PC "Look, I know I dropped you, despite my much publicised selection policy, when you didn't deserve it, for a player obviously lacking fitness"
SH "yep, go on...."
PC "and I know I put you on the Transfer List, and left you on for a long time, despite you putting in some very good performances"
SH "ok"
CT "and you have been nothing but a true professional whilst you've been here, and a real credit to yourself"
PC "I'd like to keep you for next season, as back up for Evatt/Cooper/Ryan/Morsy"
PC "that OK?"
SH "see ya!"

Hird wouldn't want to get "too big for his boots" though would he?
Twitter: Bodie0402

#34 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

SH "yep, go on...."
SH "ok"
PC "that OK?"
SH "see ya!"

I understand that, but Sam must already be aware that such a conversation is possible, he will also be aware of the current wage structure and may be expecting a performance-related contract to be offered, or a longer contract for a smaller basic wage.

He will also realise that he couldn't get a regular spot with a L2 side, so he isn't necessarily a marketable proposition at the moment. He will also remember that leaving Donny may not have been a fantastic move and chasing a better wage isn't the be all end all.

He will also be aware that an injury to Evatt, or a transfer for Cooper would put him in possession of the central defensive position.

ALso, in L1 he could blossom - he might be better suited to L1 play, it does happen - remember 1995/6 after we went up, Dyche and Williams were paired at the start of the season after we had Nicky Law and Daz Carr the previous season. It was a bit of a cobbled-together partnership due to injuries if I remember rightly, but it worked. Football can be funny like that - Sam Hird may become 'the man' next year, you never know.

#35 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 14 April 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

He will also realise that he couldn't get a regular spot with a L2 side, so he isn't necessarily a marketable proposition at the moment. He will also remember that leaving Donny may not have been a fantastic move and chasing a better wage isn't the be all end all.

Disagree with this, Hird won't be struggling for offers and will attract L1 and upper L2 teams.

Won't suprise me to see him being a L1 regular somewhere next season.

He doesn't fit the PC mould and I'd be shocked if he's here next season (both his choice and the clubs)

#36 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I would like to see him here next year, excellent utility man and has shown a great attitude this season. Doubt he will want to stay on possibly reduced terms though.

#37 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 14 April 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Disagree with this, Hird won't be struggling for offers and will attract L1 and upper L2 teams.

Won't suprise me to see him being a L1 regular somewhere next season.

He doesn't fit the PC mould and I'd be shocked if he's here next season (both his choice and the clubs)

You may be right, but at the risk of uprooting himself, and his family, in return for an unknown future once again.

Point was, lots of variables at play here and we don't really know, any of us, what drives Sam and what will factor in his decision.

EDIT - also, when the chips are down, in the 'big' games (Fleetwood, Wembley, Hartlepool when the pressure was on), when we've needed a steadying influence (either starting or from the bench) PC has turned to Sam Hird - he might be more 'in favour' with PC than we first think.

This post has been edited by Phil V 72: 14 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

#38 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 14 April 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

You may be right, but at the risk of uprooting himself, and his family, in return for an unknown future once again.

Point was, lots of variables at play here and we don't really know, any of us, what drives Sam and what will factor in his decision.

EDIT - also, when the chips are down, in the 'big' games (Fleetwood, Wembley, Hartlepool when the pressure was on), when we've needed a steadying influence (either starting or from the bench) PC has turned to Sam Hird - he might be more 'in favour' with PC than we first think.

Amazing how everybody looks good when we win. Hird has been played at CH dozens of times and hasn't made the grade - he isn't likely to do any better at a higher level.
It may be the case that PC is playing him in the midfield with a view to offering another contract. He's probably OK away from home, in the absence of Ryan, to stiffen up the defence a bit, but in home games when we're likely to be playing a packed defence his lack of creativity rules him out - he's not the bloke to un-pick a tight defence.
I wouldn't be too concerned to see him re-sign on that basis for something a lot less than he's presumably on now, but there will be are a lot of decent players out there looking for a job. We should aim higher than somebody who hasn't commanded a regular spot in L2.
Personally I'd rather keep Togwell, but he doesn't seem to be the flavour of the month.

#39 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Get rid far too expensive

#40 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 14 April 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

Get rid far too expensive

See it's getting warmer!!!
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic