Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Cricket In The Park - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cricket In The Park Covid strikes again

#1 User is offline   First of the gang 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:03 PM

Looks like Yorkshire are off the hook again
No cricket in the Park for another year as social distancing would be impossible to enforce resulting in fixtures being moved to Derby

#2 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:25 PM

View PostFirst of the gang, on 16 June 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

No cricket in the Park for another year as social distancing would be impossible to enforce resulting in fixtures being moved to Derby

Depending on Bozo and his ramblings the 50 over match against the puddings is still scheduled for the park on 8th august

#3 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:00 PM

View PostFirst of the gang, on 16 June 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

I literally watched a game there on Saturday. Fans weren't allowed to pick the ball up if it went over the boundary.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#4 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:37 PM

Great pity - I’m more bothered about the 4 day game as it reminds me of cricket as it used to be - Derby just doesn’t do it for me
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#5 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:12 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on 16 June 2021 - 08:00 PM, said:

I literally watched a game there on Saturday. Fans weren't allowed to pick the ball up if it went over the boundary.

Would have been Chesterfield CC in the Derbyshire league, opposition not allowed to throw the ball back etc under Covid regs for playing etc.

#6 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

View PostJonB, on 17 June 2021 - 07:12 PM, said:

Would have been Chesterfield CC in the Derbyshire league, opposition not allowed to throw the ball back etc under Covid regs for playing etc.

Good luck telling people what they can and can’t do in a public park!

#7 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:07 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 June 2021 - 07:28 PM, said:

Good luck telling people what they can and can’t do in a public park!

Yep it’s not easy and if it happens then it’s only a case of giving the ball a wipe so not a disaster. I’ve played at clay cross for years…folk walking past/watching picking the ball up was the least of our issues. We had motorbikes on the pitch, drunk folk wandering across, lively afternoons outside the welfare etc.

#8 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:52 PM

View PostJonB, on 17 June 2021 - 08:07 PM, said:

Yep it’s not easy and if it happens then it’s only a case of giving the ball a wipe so not a disaster. I’ve played at clay cross for years…folk walking past/watching picking the ball up was the least of our issues. We had motorbikes on the pitch, drunk folk wandering across, lively afternoons outside the welfare etc.

I played on Tibby which was similarly bizarre at times.

#9 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:11 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 June 2021 - 08:52 PM, said:

I played on Tibby which was similarly bizarre at times.

Played there a few times, yes it was. That said both tame compared to games at heanor or Ilkeston!

#10 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:41 AM

View PostJonB, on 17 June 2021 - 09:11 PM, said:

Played there a few times, yes it was. That said both tame compared to games at heanor or Ilkeston!

Heanor??? Its an enclosed ground. I'd agree about Sharley Park remember one game being a complete farce, but nothing compared to Littleover. One game, after a couple of 'controversial moments' cars started appearing around the boundary edge full of our Commonwealth friends looking very antagonistic.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#11 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:28 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 18 June 2021 - 09:41 AM, said:

Heanor??? Its an enclosed ground. I'd agree about Sharley Park remember one game being a complete farce, but nothing compared to Littleover. One game, after a couple of 'controversial moments' cars started appearing around the boundary edge full of our Commonwealth friends looking very antagonistic.

It is enclosed but the bar is always open and plenty like to turn up, partake in a couple of ales and basically stand there shouting at the opposition, similar case to Langley Mill which is probably the only ground i've been to where the pavilion is in the local pubwatch scheme and they have posters on the door of folk who are barred!

Not sure i ever played at Littleover, they ended playing 92 overs from one end there didnt they after local residents got a court ban over balls going into gardens etc.

#12 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:59 AM

View PostJonB, on 18 June 2021 - 10:28 AM, said:

It is enclosed but the bar is always open and plenty like to turn up, partake in a couple of ales and basically stand there shouting at the opposition, similar case to Langley Mill which is probably the only ground i've been to where the pavilion is in the local pubwatch scheme and they have posters on the door of folk who are barred!

Not sure i ever played at Littleover, they ended playing 92 overs from one end there didnt they after local residents got a court ban over balls going into gardens etc.

The local police encourage it as they know where all the potential troublemakers are in Langley Mill.

#13 User is offline   sexpistol 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2022 - 03:45 PM

What is the reason Queen’s Park only gets the amount of games it gets.
Isn’t it one of each of the formats? It obviously makes commercial sense to play the T20 and 40 over game against Yorkshire but wouldn’t it be better if there were more games? What sort of crowds do you get at Derby?
I assume the Buxton ground isn’t fit for purpose anymore, it certainly hasn’t been used for many a year. That would be a great venue against Lancashire.

This post has been edited by sexpistol: 19 June 2022 - 03:49 PM

#14 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2022 - 03:49 PM

View Postsexpistol, on 19 June 2022 - 03:45 PM, said:

What is the reason Queen’s Park only gets the amount of games it gets.
Isn’t it one of each of the formats? It obviously makes commercial sense to play the T20 and 40 over game against Yorkshire but wouldn’t it be better if there were more games? What sort of crowds do you get at Derby?

I was at the T20 game at Derby v Leicestershire. There were probably 2000ish, maybe a few more. Like-for-like crowds at probably a bit higher at QP but the cost of setting up etc and the loss of other revenue streams mean it’s not likely worth there being more. If Chesterfield BC had been more proactive back in the 70s the whole lot could have been here but the opportunity was missed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users