Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Whyteleafe And Abingdon Town - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whyteleafe And Abingdon Town Homeless

#1 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:09 PM

Well, we are non-league now and apparently this news is big in non-league circles:

https://insidecroydo...erty-investors/

To summarise, a Singapore-based firm leaning heavily upon claimed links to 'real estate investor' Ian Rush has bought some non-league grounds, including Whyteleafe and Abingdon Town, and their leases have ended, leaving them homeless. The Steven Gerrard Football Academy is due to take over at Whyteleafe.

A quick look at Ian Rush's twitter reveals him saying "I have nothing to do with the dealings with this! However an investigation has commenced and a police investigation and people will face consequences".
These go to eleven.

#2 User is offline   Sussex Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Harvey's Old Ale, Weller, Lewes FC and Levante FC

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 16 June 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

Well, we are non-league now and apparently this news is big in non-league circles:

https://insidecroydo...erty-investors/

To summarise, a Singapore-based firm leaning heavily upon claimed links to 'real estate investor' Ian Rush has bought some non-league grounds, including Whyteleafe and Abingdon Town, and their leases have ended, leaving them homeless. The Steven Gerrard Football Academy is due to take over at Whyteleafe.

A quick look at Ian Rush's twitter reveals him saying "I have nothing to do with the dealings with this! However an investigation has commenced and a police investigation and people will face consequences".

Went to Whyteleafe last season, nice little ground. But don't understand why they can't ground share with fellow Isthmian League neighbours Chipstead or Merstham. Plenty of IL clubs ground share.
Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

#3 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

View PostSussex Spireite, on 16 June 2021 - 02:44 PM, said:

Went to Whyteleafe last season, nice little ground. But don't understand why they can't ground share with fellow Isthmian League neighbours Chipstead or Merstham. Plenty of IL clubs ground share.

They may well end up doing that but it's a shame these companies are buying up football grounds as property assets. I'm not sure what the 'community asset' status of Gigg Lane, Whyteleafe's ground etc actually is but I hope there are strong covenants preventing change of use.
These go to eleven.

#4 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:32 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 16 June 2021 - 03:11 PM, said:

They may well end up doing that but it's a shame these companies are buying up football grounds as property assets. I'm not sure what the 'community asset' status of Gigg Lane, Whyteleafe's ground etc actually is but I hope there are strong covenants preventing change of use.

Its a revolting practice for footballers to be involved in. OK, its less surprising from over-entitled carpetbaggers like the Neville gang, but Rush owes his start in the game to what is now a non-league club, and seems to have forgotten the importance of smaller clubs to their communities.

#5 User is offline   Between The Sticks 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:37 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 16 June 2021 - 03:11 PM, said:

Found this on the InterNet today regarding Gigg Lane

Gigg Lane has been registered as an “Asset of Community Value” with Bury Council. This means that if the owners were to look to dispose of the Stadium the community would have a say in its future. In effect, the registration protects fan’s interests and makes it more difficult for the ground to be used for any other purpose than it is at present.

#6 User is online   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:55 PM

View PostBetween The Sticks, on 17 June 2021 - 03:37 PM, said:

Found this on the InterNet today regarding Gigg Lane

Gigg Lane has been registered as an “Asset of Community Value” with Bury Council. This means that if the owners were to look to dispose of the Stadium the community would have a say in its future. In effect, the registration protects fan’s interests and makes it more difficult for the ground to be used for any other purpose than it is at present.

The problem is that the Asset of Community Value tag is short lived and it expires if a buyer doesn’t come forward within a prescribed period.

#7 User is offline   Between The Sticks 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:55 AM

View Postplannerj, on 17 June 2021 - 09:55 PM, said:

The problem is that the Asset of Community Value tag is short lived and it expires if a buyer doesn’t come forward within a prescribed period.

It lasts for 5 years. Where I live we have just been granted one for our only pub in the village, after the owner tried to sell it off for housing development. This was after they went to appeal twice.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users