• You cannot reply to this topic

Man Of The Match

#41 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

View Postdtp, on 28 March 2015 - 09:28 PM, said:

Ryan got booked because of a very poor ball to him from Talbot (I believe). He was definately the best of our two central midfield players but I didn't think either were up to their normal standard with Jimmy going backwards too often and Sammy holding on to the ball too long.

However, my main concern, and I have had this for a while - this partnership is not suited to a 4-4-2. They are suited to PC's preferred style but not when he changes it. It is often the front players that come under scrutiny when we change to 4-4-2 but neither Jimmy nor Sammy seem to understand their roles when we are in this formation.

Cook needs to resolve this if ever we are to progress as we need players that can play to different systems. Today, he had no midfield options on the bench but, for me, if he was going 2 up top he needed to sort out the central midfield to play this way. We got through yes - but it was in spite of and not because of his substitutions.

Mark Allott's name keeps cropping up on the odd posting on these boards. He was a player that could play the defensive role in central midfield in a 4-4-2. When you play this system the central pair need to know who goes forward and who stays back. Perhaps, them both staying back in the 4-2-3-1 has not helped them when we switch systems.

I think the biggest failing today was momentum, time after time both Ryan and Morsy failed to get the ball forward early. Walsalls offside game needed the occasional first time ball as we gave them far too much time with our play across the back. Anyway alls well that ends well.
God I hate this league.

#42 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Ryan and Morsy will have their hands full with Clarke and Knott, not to mention Hird and Evatt with Hanson and Stead, if they are playing for Bradford

#43 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostSixYardBox, on 28 March 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

You've got to be joking? How can anyone select a right footed player to play left back is beyond me. I'd rather see Clucas there with Talbot centre forward to be honest, if in deed Drew has to play. Talbots very bad pass to Morsy resulting in a foul by Morsy to get the ball followed by head in hands and then the sky blast over the bar from Talbot focused my mind on him with the conclusion he's looking more and more like a player out of his depth. That showing today was dire, mainly due to the fact the team is unbalanced and desperately missing a proper striker, not a fill in like Clucas and players out of position. What is wrong with Jones?

I don't do reds but, if I did, you would have got one. Any right footed player who can sprint down the left flank at speed, beat a defender, and put in a perfect cross with his left foot that Banks should have buried, might, perhaps, answer your question.

Good, also, to hear again the return of spontaneous applause from the east stand for Talbot's skill on the ball. I also agree with with 'H Again' when he said we are a much better side with Drew in the team. He knows it, the majority know it (I believe) and, more importantly, Cook knows it.

MOM to a player 'out of his depth.' That's some chasm you have to bridge.

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 29 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

#44 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 28 March 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

Obvious to all apart from the Court Jester

Can't resist it, can you? Hird had a good game, as did Evatt, but basically they had a day off in comparison to some of the sides we've played. If you'd been to the game you'd have seen Walsall so busy trying to shut out Morsy and Ryan that they hardly got their forwards into it at all, and even so they missed a couple of excellent chances.
The true value of defenders can be seen when we're under the cosh from big forwards, or facing a side that moves the ball quickly and runs at us. That's when we get found out, not strolling about picking off a very occasional attack from a poor team that's come for a point.
As I said before, I'd have given it Clucas, who struggled well against awkward conditions, a good defence and very little in the way of supply. The defence didn't have to break sweat.

#45 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on 29 March 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I don't do reds but, if I did, you would have got one. Any right footed player who can sprint down the left flank at speed, beat a defender, and put in a perfect cross with his left foot that Banks should have buried, might, perhaps, answer your question.

Good, also, to hear again the return of spontaneous applause from the east stand for Talbot's skill on the ball. I also agree with with 'H Again' when he said we are a much better side with Drew in the team. He knows it, the majority know it (I believe) and, more importantly, Cook knows it.

I made my feelings about Drew clear enough, but even I would have to admit that there are moments when it looks very obvious that he's naturally right-footed, and a little awkward on the left.
Having said which, he improves the team in every way and has to play, even if it's out of position.
And he delivered the best cross of the season with his LEFT foot, and on the run, as you said. Banks should have buried it.

This post has been edited by h again: 29 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

#46 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 28 March 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

I think the biggest failing today was momentum, time after time both Ryan and Morsy failed to get the ball forward early. Walsalls offside game needed the occasional first time ball as we gave them far too much time with our play across the back. Anyway alls well that ends well.

Much as I admire Jimmy Ryan, there are times when an attack is developing towards the opposition penalty area and he'll hang way back and call for the ball instead of pushing on. As he's the easy option he usually gets it, and the attack has to start all over again.
It's very easy to sit behind a computer and criticise a brilliant player over split-second decisions, but I get the feeling that there are times when the forward ball or cross might be a lot more productive, rather than lose the momentum.
That's if we could cross, of course. Don't get me started.

#47 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

Roberts cross for Banks disallowed goal, banks cross for Hird's chance, Ryan's floater corner for our goal, talbots cross for Banks headed chance

#48 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostGoku, on 29 March 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

Roberts cross for Banks disallowed goal, banks cross for Hird's chance, Ryan's floater corner for our goal, talbots cross for Banks headed chance

Add to that two excellent crosses from Darikwa - in the first half to Clucas and in the second to Harrison which, I believe, brought about the corner from which we scored.

#49 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

MOM Evo
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#50 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

Yep forgot about Tendayi's

#51 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

View Posth again, on 28 March 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

Talbot is out of position, and obviously so, but we still look a better side when he plays. Don't ask me why, we just do. Might be something to do with his speed, which is back to where it was years ago and makes you realise how much slower he was when carrying the injury, or it might be that he brings the best out of other players, or just his sheer character, but he definitely adds something beyond the nuts and bolts.
He obviously isn't comfortable with playing on the left, but he's the best option.
I'd go along with trying him as the striker though. Might be an option if we finally lose the chance of the play-offs.

Talbot and Clucas up front might be worth a try if we are just throwing things into the hat. Would certainly give us a bit of pace and occupy the defenders. That would mean us going 442 and playing Jones, so it won't happen.

Talbot if doing well as a fill in left back but he does look uncomfortable (as would most right footed players) but until he comes up against a good winger who goes out wide and makes a mess of him, I can't see Cook changing it.

I thought the entire back 4 had good games yesterday, which was helped by them being as inept as us up front.

#52 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 29 March 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Talbot and Clucas up front might be worth a try if we are just throwing things into the hat. Would certainly give us a bit of pace and occupy the defenders. That would mean us going 442 and playing Jones, so it won't happen.

Talbot if doing well as a fill in left back but he does look uncomfortable (as would most right footed players) but until he comes up against a good winger who goes out wide and makes a mess of him, I can't see Cook changing it.

I thought the entire back 4 had good games yesterday, which was helped by them being as inept as us up front.

I thought it was a back 6 for the majority.
God I hate this league.

#53 User is offline   SixYardBox 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Reds are fine by me, usually they are dished out by those who talk tosh anyway.

sorry but Talbot wouldn't feature in my plans for the future, I remember a few seasons back at Hillsborough when he fell over due to his body going faster than his legs, that was it for me. Anyway no offence to him, there are a few others that wouldn't feature either, Lee, poor distribution and too short, Evatt, past it, Humphreys, passed it, O'shea, only rare glimpses, Armand a non footballer, Banks, I'd give him 6 matches to prove he wants to play, my eleven with current squad would be;

Lee or Chapman
Darikwa
Raglan
Hird
Jones
Ryan
Morsy
Roberts
Gardner
Harrison
Clucas

4-4-2 all day long and a well balanced side.

#54 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostSixYardBox, on 29 March 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

sorry but Talbot wouldn't feature in my plans for the future, I remember a few seasons back at Hillsborough when he fell over due to his body going faster than his legs, that was it for me. Anyway no offence to him, there are a few others that wouldn't feature either, Lee, poor distribution and too short, Evatt, past it, Humphreys, passed it, O'shea, only rare glimpses, Armand a non footballer, Banks, I'd give him 6 matches to prove he wants to play, my eleven with current squad would be;

Lee or Chapman
Darikwa
Raglan
Hird
Jones
Ryan
Morsy
Roberts
Gardner
Harrison
Clucas

4-4-2 all day long and a well balanced side.

I'm surprised you can remember Talbot in the JPT but then cannot remember the numerous times we were out muscled at the back prior to Evatts arrival. We all have our view on players but what many of us fail to see is the improvement in this squad to that previously.
God I hate this league.

#55 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 29 March 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

I thought it was a back 6 for the majority.

No wonder we looked solid lol.

If we go one up in the remaining games, I don't mind us having a Johnny Duncan flat back ten if we hold on and win 1-0

#56 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

As you know im a fully payed up member of the drew talbot fan club and the 2 best crosses from play came from drews left foot nevertheless he takes the ball on the wrong foot every time when its played out wide so his bodyshape is completely wrong to attack, its week 1 day 1 basics that you recieve to play forward on your left not only does it open the pitch up but its the quickest way to recieve then attack...if drew can cross a ball with his left then he should at least recieve with his left a simple technique makes him look out of position.

This post has been edited by Erwan dsihounou: 29 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#57 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostSixYardBox, on 29 March 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

sorry but Talbot wouldn't feature in my plans for the future, I remember a few seasons back at Hillsborough when he fell over due to his body going faster than his legs, that was it for me.

Nothing like holding a grudge for 5 years eh?

#58 User is offline   SixYardBox 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 29 March 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

Nothing like holding a grudge for 5 years eh?

It wasn't 5 years, it was in the league 1 match. Its not a grudge it was just a defining moment. Like I said, no offence, I'm just looking forward. Probably a good squad member but not first choice.

#59 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 29 March 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

No wonder we looked solid lol.

If we go one up in the remaining games, I don't mind us having a Johnny Duncan flat back ten if we hold on and win 1-0

Do we go with Armand up top at Bradfud or a 2 up top with Clucas ? lol.
God I hate this league.

#60 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 29 March 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Do we go with Armand up top at Bradfud or a 2 up top with Clucas ? lol.

I think we will play Armand at some point, as although he isn't up to it, he's the only one of our big 3 front lads, that has any physicality to combat a strong Bradford side

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users