Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Hypothetical Question, Just Out Of Interest - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hypothetical Question, Just Out Of Interest

#21 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 29 September 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

The test is does he do it week in week out

Probably not, but Saturday's performance shows he's still got something and he certainly prevented a battering.
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#22 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 29 September 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Tommy didn't have the best of seasons last term either. He's okay for this level and we have a decent enough keeper, but he's certainly not the keeper many think he is. This is Tommy's level and best outside the prem is just nonsense. Glad we've got him? Damn right I am (especially if he can find his best form again), but I'm also very realistic & honest with my assessments.

According to his fellow pros he was in fact the best in the league last year.

#23 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 29 September 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

According to his fellow pros he was in fact the best in the league last year.

Maybe so, that's why he's a good keeper for us and I'm glad we've got him and he's great for the level we're at, though it still remains that his last season wasn't anywhere near his level of campaigns prior, imo.

This post has been edited by Spireite-Karl: 29 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

#notapennymore

#24 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 September 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'm sure Carroll doesn't play so well every week.

According to a county fan I work with he does

#25 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 29 September 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Brian Clough used to say a top class keeper is worth 10 points a season

thats why he paid a million pounds for Shilton

#26 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

View Postdim view, on 29 September 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

Tommy is just as capable as Carroll of having a stormer. The assessment has to include Carroll's management of the people in front of him. I saw no particular evidence of them being any more or less shambolic than us. Great goalies make life easy for themselves by ruthlessly managing the unit - like Norm used to. The best one I've seen at the Proact is Hamer. I hope Tommy is just a couple of clean sheets away from finding the confidence to push on to the new level.

With the full side back playing, PC will have to do summat if we continue shipping poor goals in otherwise it could ruin a potentially great season.

As usual, I agree with you. The saves Carroll made were all from narrow angles and the ball coming along the ground. The odds are always on the keeper from that sort of angle,provided he can get down quickly and spread himself. It's the sort of save that Tommy makes as routine.
I'm not joining the 'short on confidence' brigade either. The centres he's facing now are a class above last season and mostly into the uncertain area where a 'keeper ends up in trouble whatever he does. And he made a better save in the first few minutes than Carroll did all night - doesn't he get any credit for that?
Personally, I wouldn't swap on that evidence.

#27 User is offline   Spireite82 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

IMO, if Carroll played like that every week he would be still playing in the Premiership on £30k+ a week.

I didn't think Tommy had a bad match on Saturday TBH. Tommy hasn't had a great start to the season but I think he's been quality over the years. His biggest weakness is cross taking and agreed, he isn't premiership class (hence why he is playing in league 1). I've seen goalkeepers in league 1 not as good a TL...I'm think there are other positions we need to strengthen b4 we look at the GK.

#28 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostSpireite82, on 29 September 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

IMO, if Carroll played like that every week he would be still playing in the Premiership on £30k+ a week.

I didn't think Tommy had a bad match on Saturday TBH. Tommy hasn't had a great start to the season but I think he's been quality over the years. His biggest weakness is cross taking and agreed, he isn't premiership class (hence why he is playing in league 1). I've seen goalkeepers in league 1 not as good a TL...I'm think there are other positions we need to strengthen b4 we look at the GK.

Not arguing with you as I agree pretty much with what you've said, but are regards the highlighted in your opinion these would be...?
#notapennymore

#29 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostSpireite82, on 29 September 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

We all know that keepers can play to bigger ages as its the least athletic position on the field. Carroll has the stature to take crosses easily and the timing and positioning that comes from experience. His command of the box inspires confidence in defenders. Experience can count for a lot as Evatt is showing. Not forgetting Sean O'Neill, he was pretty slow but he knew when to time the challenge on wingers who would have left him for dead in a race.

#30 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 29 September 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

We all know that keepers can play to bigger ages as its the least athletic position on the field. Carroll has the stature to take crosses easily and the timing and positioning that comes from experience. His command of the box inspires confidence in defenders. Experience can count for a lot as Evatt is showing. Not forgetting Sean O'Neill, he was pretty slow but he knew when to time the challenge on wingers who would have left him for dead in a race.

One of my all time favourite town players!
#notapennymore

#31 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 29 September 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

Carroll actually started quite shakily and went under a couple of crosses in the first half but we could not take advantage

#32 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 29 September 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

According to a county fan I work with he does

Theres a reason why county don't let many goals in and on that evidence it's not because of the rest of their defence
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#33 User is offline   Adeyspire 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC ,Golf, Meals out

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 29 September 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Definitely. But it's not just Tommy I would swap.
If we could get somebody like Charlie Austin in for Doyle, Carrick in for Morsey it doesn't really make any difference who it is as long as they bring something to the table.

Carrick in for Morsey!!!!! Why go backwards

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users