Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Hypothetical Question, Just Out Of Interest - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hypothetical Question, Just Out Of Interest

#1 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

If CFC had the opportunity to sign Roy Carroll, or a Goalie of his ilk, would you ?
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#2 User is offline   Sabreman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

As much as I rate Tommy at this level he isn't in the same class as Roy Carroll or 99% of other goalkeepers who have applied their trade in the premiership so yes. I am not going to slate Tommy but he is not premiership class nor will he ever be, he isn't even championship class at the moment. In my opinion he is way out of form and low in confidence, the good work Crossley did has seemingly been forgotten.
We need a keeper who is going to command his box, at the moment Tommy isn't doing it, we have several players who have raised the bar this season Tommy isn't one of them.
" He who laughs when things go wrong.....has just thought of someone else to blame it on "

#3 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

If we can improve then it's always a yes.

#4 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostSabreman, on 29 September 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

As much as I rate Tommy at this level he isn't in the same class as Roy Carroll or 99% of other goalkeepers who have applied their trade in the premiership so yes. I am not going to slate Tommy but he is not premiership class nor will he ever be, he isn't even championship class at the moment. In my opinion he is way out of form and low in confidence, the good work Crossley did has seemingly been forgotten.
We need a keeper who is going to command his box, at the moment Tommy isn't doing it, we have several players who have raised the bar this season Tommy isn't one of them.

I think we sometimes underestimate the ability of sportsmen and women who reach the top of their chosen game..for example prior to Carolls performance Saturday I was saying even when he was good he was Shiite ! Silly me eh
East stand second class citizen.

#5 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

Its not until you sign a player of his ilk that you find out if he has still got it....we did supreme in jack....and failed with boa morte......for me I think I will stick with cookies young up and comin with potential....as apose to the tried and now (maybe) tired gamble.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#6 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Definitely. But it's not just Tommy I would swap.
If we could get somebody like Charlie Austin in for Doyle, Carrick in for Morsey it doesn't really make any difference who it is as long as they bring something to the table.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#7 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

I suppose we gambled to an extent with Evatt and came up trumps.

I thought Carroll was the best Goalie I've seen up here for a while, really stood out.

Much as I love Tommy, a goalie capable of playing at a higher level would add so much more composure to the defence.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#8 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 29 September 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

If CFC had the opportunity to sign Roy Carroll, or a Goalie of his ilk, would you ?

Well I said it before the season started, someone who I know very well & a good friend...who has lots of Premiership experience had his agent approach CFC & wasn't interested...even though he was happy to be second choice & wanted ****** all! Strange!! &, not just because he is a mate, but think he would have been an excellent No 2 (even if he has a dodgy knee)

View PostPhil V 72, on 29 September 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

I thought Carroll was the best Goalie I've seen up here for a while, really stood out.

Much as I love Tommy, a goalie capable of playing at a higher level would add so much more composure to the defence.

Totally agree

This post has been edited by Waller is my hero: 29 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

#9 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 29 September 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Tommy is just as capable as Carroll of having a stormer. The assessment has to include Carroll's management of the people in front of him. I saw no particular evidence of them being any more or less shambolic than us. Great goalies make life easy for themselves by ruthlessly managing the unit - like Norm used to. The best one I've seen at the Proact is Hamer. I hope Tommy is just a couple of clean sheets away from finding the confidence to push on to the new level.

With the full side back playing, PC will have to do summat if we continue shipping poor goals in otherwise it could ruin a potentially great season.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#10 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

View Postdim view, on 29 September 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

Tommy is just as capable as Carroll of having a stormer. The assessment has to include Carroll's management of the people in front of him. I saw no particular evidence of them being any more or less shambolic than us. Great goalies make life easy for themselves by ruthlessly managing the unit - like Norm used to. The best one I've seen at the Proact is Hamer. I hope Tommy is just a couple of clean sheets away from finding the confidence to push on to the new level.

With the full side back playing, PC will have to do summat if we continue shipping poor goals in otherwise it could ruin a potentially great season.

Once the stability comes back into our defence the better - Over the past few seasons our back four has always been same, same........having so many disruptions at the back hasn't helped...especially after the injury to Hird

#11 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm sure Carroll doesn't play so well every week.

#12 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 September 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

Carroll conceding only one goal was helped by a number of defenders doing their job well; header of the line, some great blocks and a fair bit of luck on their side.

#13 User is offline   deano-cfc 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, Mountain biking,football except premier league, motorsport, wildlife, Reading

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

My thoughts exactly, and I wonder how many other teams have said similar about Tommy Lee when he has been seemingly unbeatable. ?? At this level I think we have got a great keeper, Carroll was brilliant sat. bet he is costing a bob or two.

#14 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

Brian Clough used to say a top class keeper is worth 10 points a season
A new hope.

#15 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

Definitely, it wasn't just the saves he made as some were regulation. It was the way he reacted under an intense bombardment.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#16 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yes I think Lee is over rated. Good reflex saves but terrible on crosses. Been poor this season and needs to raise his game.

#17 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Exactly, as good as he was on Saturday he is playing in the third tier of English football for a reason, it's most likely those games don't happen very often. Carroll is a keeper who has peaked, a while ago.
We were having similar discussions about tony roberts a few seasons ago weren't we?
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#18 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

View Postdeano-cfc, on 29 September 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

My thoughts exactly, and I wonder how many other teams have said similar about Tommy Lee when he has been seemingly unbeatable. ?? At this level I think we have got a great keeper, Carroll was brilliant sat. bet he is costing a bob or two.

Tommy didn't have the best of seasons last term either. He's okay for this level and we have a decent enough keeper, but he's certainly not the keeper many think he is. This is Tommy's level and best outside the prem is just nonsense. Glad we've got him? Damn right I am (especially if he can find his best form again), but I'm also very realistic & honest with my assessments.
#notapennymore

#19 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 29 September 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

Exactly, as good as he was on Saturday he is playing in the third tier of English football for a reason, it's most likely those games don't happen very often. Carroll is a keeper who has peaked, a while ago.
We were having similar discussions about tony roberts a few seasons ago weren't we?

Like 52 hours ago :rolleyes:
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#20 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

View Postlongeatonspireite, on 29 September 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Like 52 hours ago :rolleyes:

The test is does he do it week in week out
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users