Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Last Week This Week. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Last Week This Week.

#21 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

I thought 4-4-2 made sense, they had some big mobile lads at the back. It needed Armand to start and in Doyle we have someone able to turn it into 4-5-1 if needed.

#22 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 28 September 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

I always feel kinda sorry for County fans (by the way, can anyone explain the Notts/Nottingham thing? Bizarre).

Their's is a respectable enough club with a reasonable history, fanbase and stadium. Even if it probably is too big for what they need. However not only does it seem that they're the oddballs of the area, the geeky, unfashionable kids who had no mates to go to the City Ground with, but their anti-Forest rhetoric is met by 'Awww, bless' style hair-ruffling by folk who couldn't care less.

There's nothing as sad in football as an unrequited rivalry.

Anyway, despite pre-match talk of County's 'Goals Against' record and suggestions they'd simply sit deep and defend, Town found themselves on the back foot in exactly the same way as last week. Again as last week we we're missing key players, but I can't understand why Cook changed our entire approach - four-four-two instead of four-two-three-one - undermining everything that's worked so well. Johnson's been a revelation yet looked ordinary out wide, Ryan worked his wobbly bits off though couldn't dominate midfield on his own - Banks no understudy for Morsy, and all too often we went long to Gnanduillet's head. The big Ivorian did win most sent his way, however there was no cohesion between him and others.

We're simply not used to playing that way and ended the half behind for the third time in two weeks.

As last week Town were much more fluent in the second half - Johnson given a free-er role - and whether because of that or tactical reasons the visitors parked the bus, so to speak. It was almost one of those 'attack v defence' training exercises at times, with us being denied by poor accuracy (O'Shea most guilty), desperate defending (one unbelievable header off the line), terrific goalkeeping (Carroll was quality) or the woodwork. Margreitter's equaliser was certainly one for the cameras, towering to power a proverbial bullet header into the top corner. You beauty. County did pose an occasional threat yet found out why our on-loan Austrian and Ian Evatt had played at a higher level. Clucas, press-ganged into an unfamiliar role at LB? He was okay; nothing more, nothing less. We pushed forward, more than 6200 home fans by far the happier to see six minutes added, but as last week we couldn't grab the goal we arguably deserved.

A fair enough scoreline overall, I guess, and no one could say they hadn't been entertained. Though as a mate said in the pub afterwards, we started with our 'Plan B' and only ended with 'Plan A'.

Finally a few words about officiating. Why do supposedly professional lino's find it so difficult to keep up with play? Why does a lino far closer to play than the ref, by tens of yards on many occasions, look towards the man in the middle instead of going by what he's seen his own eyes? Why does a ref give different decisions for virtually identical events? Why does he first shake his head to deny a foul, then change his mind and award a yellow because a player rolls around? And of course the real biggie - why do we never get a 'homer' at the Proact?

Really, I'd like to know.

Notts is an abbreviation for Nottingham!

#23 User is offline   Freddie 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

View Postdjs, on 28 September 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

In this case, I thought that Notts was an abbreviation for Nottinghamshire. ie Nottinghamshire County as opposed to Nottingham Forest.

#24 User is offline   SALTERGATE 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostFreddie, on 28 September 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

In this case, I thought that Notts was an abbreviation for Nottinghamshire. ie Nottinghamshire County as opposed to Nottingham Forest.

County are the only team in the city boundary !

I always feel kinda sorry for County fans (by the way, can anyone explain the Notts/Nottingham thing? Bizarre).

Their's is a respectable enough club with a reasonable history, fanbase and stadium. Even if it probably is too big for what they need. However not only does it seem that they're the oddballs of the area, the geeky, unfashionable kids who had no mates to go to the City Ground with, but their anti-Forest rhetoric is met by 'Awww, bless' style hair-ruffling by folk who couldn't care less.

Anyway, despite pre-match talk of County's 'Goals Against' record and suggestions they'd simply sit deep and defend, Town found themselves on the back foot in exactly the same way as last week. Again as last week we we're missing key players, but I can't understand why Cook changed our entire approach - four-four-two instead of four-two-three-one - undermining everything that's worked so well. Johnson's been a revelation yet looked ordinary out wide, Ryan worked his wobbly bits off though couldn't dominate midfield on his own - Banks no understudy for Morsy, and all too often we went long to Gnanduillet's head. The big Ivorian did win most sent his way, however there was no cohesion between him and others.

We're simply not used to playing that way and ended the half behind for the third time in two weeks.

As last week Town were much more fluent in the second half - Johnson given a free-er role - and whether because of that or tactical reasons the visitors parked the bus, so to speak. It was almost one of those 'attack v defence' training exercises at times, with us being denied by poor accuracy (O'Shea most guilty), desperate defending (one unbelievable header off the line), terrific goalkeeping (Carroll was quality) or the woodwork. Margreitter's equaliser was certainly one for the cameras, towering to power a proverbial bullet header into the top corner. You beauty. County did pose an occasional threat yet found out why our on-loan Austrian and Ian Evatt had played at a higher level. Clucas, press-ganged into an unfamiliar role at LB? He was okay; nothing more, nothing less. We pushed forward, more than 6200 home fans by far the happier to see six minutes added, but as last week we couldn't grab the goal we arguably deserved.

A fair enough scoreline overall, I guess, and no one could say they hadn't been entertained. Though as a mate said in the pub afterwards, we started with our 'Plan B' and only ended with 'Plan A'.

Finally a few words about officiating. Why do supposedly professional lino's find it so difficult to keep up with play? Why does a lino far closer to play than the ref, by tens of yards on many occasions, look towards the man in the middle instead of going by what he's seen his own eyes? Why does a ref give different decisions for virtually identical events? Why does he first shake his head to deny a foul, then change his mind and award a yellow because a player rolls around? And of course the real biggie - why do we never get a 'homer' at the Proact?

View PostSALTERGATE, on 28 September 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

County are the only team in the city boundary !

Bit like this Saturday coming then !

#25 User is offline   KevoBMMD 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

View Postdjs, on 28 September 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

Notts County & Nottingham Forest and not Nottingham County or Notts Forest.

So it looks like it is an abbreviation of Nottinghamshire and not Nottingham....

#26 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

Notts Forest winds 'em so I use that term only.

#27 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Johnson's been a revelation yet looked ordinary out wide

terrific goalkeeping (Carroll was quality)

Johnson is missing too many chances.

I think I said this at the Brighton Conference : there's a huge gulf in class between top L1 goalies and L2 goalies. The class is not only about personal attributes, it's about ability to organise and take charge. Will Tommy make the transition?.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#28 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postdim view, on 28 September 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Johnson is missing too many chances.

I think I said this at the Brighton Conference : there's a huge gulf in class between top L1 goalies and L2 goalies. The class is not only about personal attributes, it's about ability to organise and take charge. Will Tommy make the transition?.

Your first sentence speaks volumes..yes he's been a breath of fresh air and I'd push the boat out to sign him if the chance was there..but Roberts has that special gift of creating a chance and a goal from nowhere, and that's a rare quality!
East stand second class citizen.

#29 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 28 September 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

Your first sentence speaks volumes..yes he's been a breath of fresh air and I'd push the boat out to sign him if the chance was there..but Roberts has that special gift of creating a chance and a goal from nowhere, and that's a rare quality!

Johnson scored a good few goals for Villa youth and nextgen teams. I am sure once one effort goes in, a good few more will follow.

#30 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

Johnson scored a good few goals for Villa youth and nextgen teams. I am sure once one effort goes in, a good few more will follow.

He tried shots twice yesterday when a simple cut-back would have given Doyle, who can always be relied on to be in the right place, a simple tap-in. He did exactly the same thing at Doncaster.
He's a terrific asset to the team, but he seems to lose it in the vital last few feet. Could do better must be the verdict.

#31 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 28 September 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

On your last point... Simply because the referee is in the eye of the ticket holder (see what I did there). If you are in the away end I'm sure many a time fans leave the Proact thinking the ref was a homer.
I hate all this ref thing week in week out (it never fails). You have what you have (good, bad or indifferent) and it's the same for both sides (on the whole). The officials are no more lenient/ strict to the opposition than us, just the way it looks in the eye of the ticket holder. They are human and get things wrong, and on the whole they don't bother me at all. We have 90 mins to win a football match and 99.99% it has nothing to do with the ref if we don't win (so why the big issue every week?)

ONE FOR PAUL COOK TO ADDRESS - WILL HE ENSURE WHEN BLATANT TIME WAISTING IS TAKING PLACE THAT THE BALL BOYS ARE MORE ALERT IN ENSURING THE BALL IS RETURNED TO THE GOAL MOUTH INSTEAD OF THEM CHATTING AND WATCHING THE BALL ROLL BY THEM (KOP END SATURDAY IN PARTICULAR)

I'ts no good him getting his blood pressure up with the time waisting, part of the answer lies with him.

God I hate this league.

#32 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 29 September 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

ONE FOR PAUL COOK TO ADDRESS - WILL HE ENSURE WHEN BLATANT TIME WAISTING IS TAKING PLACE THAT THE BALL BOYS ARE MORE ALERT IN ENSURING THE BALL IS RETURNED TO THE GOAL MOUTH INSTEAD OF THEM CHATTING AND WATCHING THE BALL ROLL BY THEM (KOP END SATURDAY IN PARTICULAR)

I'ts no good him getting his blood pressure up with the time waisting, part of the answer lies with him.

The key is to score the first goal my friend. Then the timewasting benefits only us.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users