Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Last Week This Week. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Last Week This Week.

#1 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

I always feel kinda sorry for County fans (by the way, can anyone explain the Notts/Nottingham thing? Bizarre).

Their's is a respectable enough club with a reasonable history, fanbase and stadium. Even if it probably is too big for what they need. However not only does it seem that they're the oddballs of the area, the geeky, unfashionable kids who had no mates to go to the City Ground with, but their anti-Forest rhetoric is met by 'Awww, bless' style hair-ruffling by folk who couldn't care less.

There's nothing as sad in football as an unrequited rivalry.

Anyway, despite pre-match talk of County's 'Goals Against' record and suggestions they'd simply sit deep and defend, Town found themselves on the back foot in exactly the same way as last week. Again as last week we we're missing key players, but I can't understand why Cook changed our entire approach - four-four-two instead of four-two-three-one - undermining everything that's worked so well. Johnson's been a revelation yet looked ordinary out wide, Ryan worked his wobbly bits off though couldn't dominate midfield on his own - Banks no understudy for Morsy, and all too often we went long to Gnanduillet's head. The big Ivorian did win most sent his way, however there was no cohesion between him and others.

We're simply not used to playing that way and ended the half behind for the third time in two weeks.

As last week Town were much more fluent in the second half - Johnson given a free-er role - and whether because of that or tactical reasons the visitors parked the bus, so to speak. It was almost one of those 'attack v defence' training exercises at times, with us being denied by poor accuracy (O'Shea most guilty), desperate defending (one unbelievable header off the line), terrific goalkeeping (Carroll was quality) or the woodwork. Margreitter's equaliser was certainly one for the cameras, towering to power a proverbial bullet header into the top corner. You beauty. County did pose an occasional threat yet found out why our on-loan Austrian and Ian Evatt had played at a higher level. Clucas, press-ganged into an unfamiliar role at LB? He was okay; nothing more, nothing less. We pushed forward, more than 6200 home fans by far the happier to see six minutes added, but as last week we couldn't grab the goal we arguably deserved.

A fair enough scoreline overall, I guess, and no one could say they hadn't been entertained. Though as a mate said in the pub afterwards, we started with our 'Plan B' and only ended with 'Plan A'.

Finally a few words about officiating. Why do supposedly professional lino's find it so difficult to keep up with play? Why does a lino far closer to play than the ref, by tens of yards on many occasions, look towards the man in the middle instead of going by what he's seen his own eyes? Why does a ref give different decisions for virtually identical events? Why does he first shake his head to deny a foul, then change his mind and award a yellow because a player rolls around? And of course the real biggie - why do we never get a 'homer' at the Proact?

Really, I'd like to know.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 28 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

I was amazed to hear that we played 4-4-2.

#3 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 28 September 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Finally a few words about officiating. Why do supposedly professional lino's find it so difficult to keep up with play? Why does a lino far closer to play than the ref, by tens of yards on many occasions, look towards the man in the middle instead of going by what he's seen his own eyes? Why does a ref give different decisions for virtually identical events? Why does he first shake his head to deny a foul, then change his mind and award a yellow because a player rolls around? And of course the real biggie - why do we never get a 'homer' at the Proact?

Really, I'd like to know.

On your last point... Simply because the referee is in the eye of the ticket holder (see what I did there). If you are in the away end I'm sure many a time fans leave the Proact thinking the ref was a homer.
I hate all this ref thing week in week out (it never fails). You have what you have (good, bad or indifferent) and it's the same for both sides (on the whole). The officials are no more lenient/ strict to the opposition than us, just the way it looks in the eye of the ticket holder. They are human and get things wrong, and on the whole they don't bother me at all. We have 90 mins to win a football match and 99.99% it has nothing to do with the ref if we don't win (so why the big issue every week?)
#notapennymore

#4 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Big fan of Terry Thomas and Fu Manchu.

Partial to the odd beerd!!

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 28 September 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

On your last point... Simply because the referee is in the eye of the ticket holder (see what I did there). If you are in the away end I'm sure many a time fans leave the Proact thinking the ref was a homer.
I hate all this ref thing week in week out (it never fails). You have what you have (good, bad or indifferent) and it's the same for both sides (on the whole). The officials are no more lenient/ strict to the opposition than us, just the way it looks in the eye of the ticket holder. They are human and get things wrong, and on the whole they don't bother me at all. We have 90 mins to win a football match and 99.99% it has nothing to do with the ref if we don't win (so why the big issue every week?)

You've just made it a big issue, with your essay in response to a single sentenced question posed by Chris though...
Mug?? Being wrong never gets boring!

#5 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I was amazed to hear that we played 4-4-2.

You sort of can understand it. The only other option was putting both Humphreys and Clucas in their natural roles. Obviously Cookie thought that it was still too soon for Humphreys at left wingback. Okay, there's a question that you could say it didn't work, but then again, first half’s haven't worked for us in the last few games with our normal formation, so what's the difference? Who knows? We could have been totally exposed down that side and been more than one down at half time like we have in the last two games, again who knows what could have happened??

My real concern with the formation is shackling Johnson, who in the free role dictates everything and is a sheer joy to watch. I also want to mention how well Gardner looked when he came on late on. His link up play with Johnson was out of this world!

View PostDave Wallers, on 28 September 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

You've just made it a big issue, with your essay in response to a single sentenced question posed by Chris though...

Well he really did want to know ;)
#notapennymore

#6 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Who's Myles Wright?

#7 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

It is obvious why some people have gripes with the ref, Karl. Noble swung for one of our lads at least once, he went flying in stupidly on... cant remember who and also threw Banks to the ground and only came out of the game with a solitary yellow card. Im certain he couldve started walking around the pitch knocking our players out one by one and the ref would have given him his 15th warning instead of a red card. The player completely lost his head and suffered no real punishment for it. I try not to mention the ref much but he was sickeningly bad yesterday.

This post has been edited by Goku: 28 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

#8 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostGoku, on 28 September 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

It is obvious why some people have gripes with the ref, Karl. Noble swung for one of our lads at least once, he went flying in stupidly on... cant remember who and also threw Banks to the ground and only came out of the game with a solitary yellow card. Im certain he couldve started walking around the pitch knocking our players out one by one and the ref would have given him his 15th warning instead of a red card. The player completely lost his head and suffered no real punishment for it. I try not to mention the ref much but he was sickeningly bad yesterday.

I know what you are saying and he did live a charmed life (but it happens). We've seen Armand lose it many a time and he's only picked up a yellow at worst for his total loss of head (just saying like ;) ), though we all find this funny.
#notapennymore

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

Armand hasnt punched someone or flown into a tackle with the ferocity that Noble did. He's a posturer.

#10 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Who's Myles Wright?

The youth team goalkeeper

#11 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

View Postwhittman, on 28 September 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

The youth team goalkeeper

No, he's from the development squad not the youth team, first one from there to make the match day squad

#12 User is offline   Sabreman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 28 September 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

I couldn't agree more, however the ref yesterday was very poor possibly the worst i've seen for a very long time.
" He who laughs when things go wrong.....has just thought of someone else to blame it on "

#13 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostBeelzebub, on 28 September 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

No, he's from the development squad not the youth team, first one from there to make the match day squad

What's the difference between the development squad and the youth team?

#14 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

What's the difference between the development squad and the youth team?

The youth team players are contracted to the club, the team is an integral part of the set up. The development squad is semi detached, the players are not contracted ( although they may be registered) to us. Some of the better development players will be called on occasionally by the YT but they are separate - the Development Team is, in essence, a 'B' youth team. Players from there can sign contracts with other clubs, they are not tied to us, and we don't pay for them, the DS is self funding, in fact the players (families) are said to pay for them to attend as a form of continuing education

#15 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostBeelzebub, on 28 September 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Yes he is from the development team he is a big lad probably 6 ft 4 I heard he had been offered a deal
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#16 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostBeelzebub, on 28 September 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

The youth team players are contracted to the club, the team is an integral part of the set up. The development squad is semi detached, the players are not contracted ( although they may be registered) to us. Some of the better development players will be called on occasionally by the YT but they are separate - the Development Team is, in essence, a 'B' youth team. Players from there can sign contracts with other clubs, they are not tied to us, and we don't pay for them, the DS is self funding, in fact the players (families) are said to pay for them to attend as a form of continuing education

You make it sound like the development team is second fiddle to the youth , I believe it's not the case the development get players from all over the country as well as other countries whereas the youth is restricted to an area I think the development has just had an international call up for one of their players from Wales.

#17 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

View Postbonnyman, on 28 September 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

You make it sound like the development team is second fiddle to the youth , I believe it's not the case .......

....well, in this case it certainly looks as if a Development Team player has been preferred over a Youth Team professional. I wonder if he was officially registered as an amateur for the match?.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#18 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

View Postdim view, on 28 September 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

....well, in this case it certainly looks as if a Development Team player has been preferred over a Youth Team professional. I wonder if he was officially registered as an amateur for the match?.

Not sure on his registration status, but he has recently been out on loan to Sheffield FC, where we didn't want him cup tied, indicating such a step up was planned

http://www.sheffield...gain-fa-cup-tie

<div><br></div>

#19 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

View Postdim view, on 28 September 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

The youth team are not professionals they are scholars they only become professional if they are offered a deal at the end of their 2 years.

#20 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

View Postbonnyman, on 28 September 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Yes he is from the development team he is a big lad probably 6 ft 4 I heard he had been offered a deal

Yep. Looks the part.
The club dropped a right bollux last year when they were told that they wouldn't be allowed an emergency loan in if Tommy got injured and Chapman was out on loan - because they had a third fit pro goalie called McReadie or summat on the books - so Chapman couldn't go and it hampered his development.
Unless they are completely crackers, they won't want to put themselves in the same position again, whereby the signing of an experienced emergency loan keeper is ruled out by making Wright a pro - even though they appear to have an instant recall option on Chapman.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users