Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Are We Missing The Most Important Point About Our Goal? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are We Missing The Most Important Point About Our Goal?

#1 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

We scored directly from a corner!
The law of averages says that it was gonna happen but for anybody that can record it......Well, you'd better cos we've got at least another 50-60 corners to go before we score another!
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#2 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:14 PM

About 5 or 6 games then?

12 Corners today and 8 last week, an average of 10 per game

I think you're being a little generous

Mind you, no penalties in 2 games.... Ridiculous!!!

#3 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 27 September 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

The law of averages says that it was gonna happen but for anybody that can record it......Well, you'd better cos we've got at least another 50-60 corners to go before we score another!

To be fair margreitter could have had an almost identical hattrick, all corners from that side he hit the bar, buried one and I think Carroll saved the last. We looked dangerous from set pieces, I don't think many sides will fancy having to mark margreitter, evatt, armband and banks.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#4 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

We floated the first few corners in to zero effect and then all of a sudden we whipped in 3 corners and nearly scored three goals.

Then we let Gardner chip on to the goalie just as Johnson was getting his eye in with them
Up the Blues

#5 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostDMU Blue, on 28 September 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

We floated the first few corners in to zero effect and then all of a sudden we whipped in 3 corners and nearly scored three goals.

Then we let Gardner chip on to the goalie just as Johnson was getting his eye in with them

I wouldn't really say we whipped them in, I was directly in line with the flight of the ball and they came pretty straight, they were good consistent deliveries but I think it was as much about the movement of the players in the box that created the chances.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#6 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Perhaps more about the guy heading the ball, getting Ernie type purchase rather than mistiming the leap and letting the ball hit the top of his head.

#7 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Perhaps more about the guy heading the ball, getting Ernie type purchase rather than mistiming the leap and letting the ball hit the top of his head.

Maybe he can teach Evatt how to attack corners cos he is dire at them

#8 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostGoku, on 28 September 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

My thoughts exactly

#9 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

Someone on another thread posted this link:-

http://www.soccerbyt...-is-almost.html

About how corners are very low by all teams resulting in goals scored

#10 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostGoku, on 28 September 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Sorry, but you've got me started again. Floated corners are dead easy to defend,'cos it gives the opposition defence plenty of time to surround any player who looks threatening, Evatt for instance, so he can't get a positive header on it, just a sort of prod into the air.
Whipped in corners are much more difficult, because a fair proportion may go straight to a defender, but if they don't, then any attacker can get a good, positive header and make the 'keeper work. They also give attackers a chance to run at the ball because it isn't landing from miles up amongst a crowd of players.
Same thing applies to crosses in general. County's were mostly spot on; ours were mostly rubbish, apart from a solitary Jimmy Ryan effort in the first half that Armand went within inches of putting away.
The one thing that other teams do better than us in this division is cross the ball accurately. Everything else, we're better.

#11 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 27 September 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

We are missing the most important point about their goal.........
...They scored because we couldn't defend a corner.

Armand heads it out, but we don't defend as a unit, we don't close down their scorer, and Tommy is out of position. Tommy has got to get the whole unit out of his way and up the pitch. There has to be somebody nominated to challenge like lightning for the ball on the edge of the area, I think it's usually Sami. A very sloppy goal and not one which would be conceded by a slick play off challenging outfit. We have got to learn fast.

This post has been edited by dim view: 28 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#12 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

View Posth again, on 28 September 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Sorry, but you've got me started again. Floated corners are dead easy to defend,'cos it gives the opposition defence plenty of time to surround any player who looks threatening, Evatt for instance, so he can't get a positive header on it, just a sort of prod into the air.
Whipped in corners are much more difficult, because a fair proportion may go straight to a defender, but if they don't, then any attacker can get a good, positive header and make the 'keeper work. They also give attackers a chance to run at the ball because it isn't landing from miles up amongst a crowd of players.
Same thing applies to crosses in general. County's were mostly spot on; ours were mostly rubbish, apart from a solitary Jimmy Ryan effort in the first half that Armand went within inches of putting away.
The one thing that other teams do better than us in this division is cross the ball accurately. Everything else, we're better.

We hit the bar and scored from two floated Johnson corners. Regardless of how we put our crosses in, Evatt is very poor at getting up and heading the ball cleanly. Marg didnt seem to have a problem getting up above his man and directing relatively accurate efforts on goal from floated corners. Its not an excuse.

#13 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

View Posth again, on 28 September 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Why dont you look at the evidence before us. Margrietter had three solid firm headers on goal, from exactly the same kind of corner Evo mistimed his effort, as he always does. Ernie would never have scored, as he did many a time, from an Alan Birch cross if it had to be firm. Birch always floated his crosses.
I dont know how they train players to head a ball nowadays, but back in the day a coach threw a ball underarm for the players to get up and head it as firmly as he could.

#14 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Why dont you look at the evidence before us. Margrietter had three solid firm headers on goal, from exactly the same kind of corner Evo mistimed his effort, as he always does. Ernie would never have scored, as he did many a time, from an Alan Birch cross if it had to be firm. Birch always floated his crosses.
I dont know how they train players to head a ball nowadays, but back in the day a coach threw a ball underarm for the players to get up and head it as firmly as he could.

I agree the coaches should do more heading practice! :windup
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#15 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

There isn't any, it's a message Board.
The best you can say is that one or two of our corners weren't as floated as others, and from one of them Mag scored. If Evatt was on the end of one of those he'd score as well, but he isn't going to score when surrounded by three big defenders with the ball dropping almost vertically out of the clouds. This is a bloke who scored from corners in the Premiership, so instead of calling him incompetent, you might wonder what's changed.
It isn't as if you don't know what a decent corner looks like. Every team we play lands them with pace in the danger area, so don't try to convince me that ours are anything other than poor.
Or try Brian Clough. "The longer a ball's in the air, the easier it is to defend against". To most people it's just common sense.

This post has been edited by h again: 28 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

#16 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

View Posth again, on 28 September 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

There isn't any, it's a message Board.
The best you can say is that one or two of our corners weren't as floated as others, and from one of them Mag scored. If Evatt was on the end of one of those he'd score as well, but he isn't going to score when surrounded by three big defenders with the ball dropping almost vertically out of the clouds. This is a bloke who scored from corners in the Premiership, so instead of calling him incompetent, you might wonder what's changed.
It isn't as if you don't know what a decent corner looks like. Every team we play lands them with pace in the danger area, so don't try to convince me that ours are anything other than poor.
Or try Brian Clough. "The longer a ball's in the air, the easier it is to defend against". To most people it's just common sense.

It must be hard luck then, that Evo only has such balls aimed at him, and lo and behold Hird and Margrietter have bullet like crosses to head. Or the latter two actually use their neck muscles.
By the way Margrietter also hit the bar and had a header cleared off the line. How 'lucky' was he?

This post has been edited by 60s 70s Spireite: 28 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

#17 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

Nobody marks Hird or Margreitter obviously. They're all afraid of Evatt and all his headed Premiership goals.

#18 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

It must be hard luck then, that Evo only has such balls aimed at him, and lo and behold Hird and Margrietter have bullet like crosses to head. Or the latter two actually use their neck muscles.
By the way Margrietter also hit the bar and had a header cleared off the line. How 'lucky' was he?

Luck doesn't enter into it. If the crosses give attackers a sporting chance of a powerful header we can score - floaters make it far more difficult to put any power behind the header, even without the attentions of half the defence who've had time to gather round.
You baffle me with this business - haven't you seen the dangerous corners we've been getting as routine from all the opposition this season? And as for the crossing, which amounts to much the same thing, where do you think all the goals we've been conceding have come from?

View PostGoku, on 28 September 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

Nobody marks Hird or Margreitter obviously. They're all afraid of Evatt and all his headed Premiership goals.

Try not to be silly. I'm trying to treat you as an adult, but sometimes it's difficult.

#19 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

View Posth again, on 28 September 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

Luck doesn't enter into it. If the crosses give attackers a sporting chance of a powerful header we can score - floaters make it far more difficult to put any power behind the header, even without the attentions of half the defence who've had time to gather round.
You baffle me with this business - haven't you seen the dangerous corners we've been getting as routine from all the opposition this season? And as for the crossing, which amounts to much the same thing, where do you think all the goals we've been conceding have come from?

Try not to be silly. I'm trying to treat you as an adult, but sometimes it's difficult.

I see what I see and the highlights. One Johnson corner is no different from another. Evo mistimes his jump, (perhaps his efforts make you think ithe cross was a floater.) Margrietter three times had a brilliant effort on goal. Watch the next match. I guarantee Evo will jump and the ball will loop off his head. It is where the cross lands and how it's is headed that is important, not the speed.

#20 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 September 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

I see what I see and the highlights. One Johnson corner is no different from another. Evo mistimes his jump, (perhaps his efforts make you think ithe cross was a floater.) Margrietter three times had a brilliant effort on goal. Watch the next match. I guarantee Evo will jump and the ball will loop off his head. It is where the cross lands and how it's is headed that is important, not the speed.

Not true. The slower the ball, the more effort you have to put into getting some power behind it, a fact so obvious I wonder it should even need stating.
Exactly the same applies in cricket, where batsmen have to put in much more effort to get slow bowlers away.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users