Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Having The Scabs Ground On Your Doorstep - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Having The Scabs Ground On Your Doorstep

#41 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

View PostDEATH, on 15 April 2021 - 12:08 PM, said:

Funnily enough I say the same - near Sheffield. Say Derbyshire and you often get is that near Nottingham/Leicester even Birmingham? Then I’d say not really no. What’s the nearest city then? Sheffield.

Same here- say Chesterfield and following the inevitable “where”? Say near Sheffield

#42 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:42 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 15 April 2021 - 02:11 PM, said:

Once you get away from the large properties at the front at Ravensgead I’d say Berry Hill is much more desirable and higher house prices etc

I only ever visited 3 houses in Ravenshead so my benchmark is those and all were in the "f****** hell, this place is posh!" category so my view is clearly biased. Berry Hill was more affordable in a "not much more than I live in" sort of way....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#43 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:47 PM

Ernie Ernie Ernie said:

1618495694[/url]' post='1574860']
When was the last time you where on Boza market?

A couple of weeks before lockdown.

Market place BTW not market. The market (square opposite the library) hasn’t been used for donkeys years.
A new hope.

#44 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

View PostDEATH, on 15 April 2021 - 03:47 PM, said:

A couple of weeks before lockdown.

Market place BTW not market. The market (square opposite the library) hasn’t been used for donkeys years.

There was a food festival on there a couple of year’s back. On the subject of Boza, good to see the fire damaged building that was latterly Bella Blu get some attention. Whether they have a new tenant lined up, I don’t know but it was close to becoming an eye-sore.

#45 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:33 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 15 April 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

I only ever visited 3 houses in Ravenshead so my benchmark is those and all were in the "f****** hell, this place is posh!" category so my view is clearly biased. Berry Hill was more affordable in a "not much more than I live in" sort of way....

When I was young I worked on a Saturday for a bloke that repaired washing machines (when town were away) basically I used to help him lift them after he had epeaired them. He would never accept a cheque from anywhere at Ravenshead and always insisted on cash and he wouldn’t leave the washer if they didn’t have it. He used to say they were the worst for bouncing cheques on him. Bit bizarre when you look at the properties but perhaps back then some overstretched their means.

#46 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:40 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 15 April 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

When I was young I worked on a Saturday for a bloke that repaired washing machines (when town were away) basically I used to help him lift them after he had epeaired them. He would never accept a cheque from anywhere at Ravenshead and always insisted on cash and he wouldn’t leave the washer if they didn’t have it. He used to say they were the worst for bouncing cheques on him. Bit bizarre when you look at the properties but perhaps back then some overstretched their means.

#47 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:04 PM

Westbars Spireite said:

1618503900[/url]' post='1574878']
There was a food festival on there a couple of year's back. On the subject of Boza, good to see the fire damaged building that was latterly Bella Blu get some attention. Whether they have a new tenant lined up, I don't know but it was close to becoming an eye-sore.

Be nice to something done with the swan and old pet shop. Been boarded up for years.
A new hope.

#48 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:11 PM

View PostDEATH, on 15 April 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

Be nice to something done with the swan and old pet shop. Been boarded up for years.

If I had the money I’d buy the Swan and turn it into a smart boozer that did food. It would do well as there is virtually nowhere to eat in Boza.

#49 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2021 - 06:11 PM, said:

If I had the money I’d buy the Swan and turn it into a smart boozer that did food. It would do well as there is virtually nowhere to eat in Boza.

You would be competing with the spoons pub 'Pillar of Rock'

#50 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:15 PM

Westbars Spireite said:

1618510292[/url]' post='1574899']
If I had the money I'd buy the Swan and turn it into a smart boozer that did food. It would do well as there is virtually nowhere to eat in Boza.

Not anywhere decent is there. Never really been much in the way of sit down restaurants in Boza though has there. Odd for a town of that size really.
A new hope.

#51 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:49 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 15 April 2021 - 06:13 PM, said:

You would be competing with the spoons pub 'Pillar of Rock'

Exactly. That’s your lot. I’m one of their regulars so know what I’d be up against.

There are 2 or 3 half decent takeaways but otherwise literally nowhere for a meal other than cafes.

View PostDEATH, on 15 April 2021 - 06:15 PM, said:

Not anywhere decent is there. Never really been much in the way of sit down restaurants in Boza though has there. Odd for a town of that size really.

The takeaways do a roaring trade, even the grim ones. Doesn’t say much for the local populace really!

#52 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:17 PM

Westbars Spireite said:

1618512591[/url]' post='1574908']

The takeaways do a roaring trade, even the grim ones. Doesn't say much for the local populace really!

Welfare for a gallon of cheap mild mix, and chips and gravy on way home. I guess that’s something that’s never really changed....even if the welfare shut long ago.

A new hope.

#53 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

There was a food festival on there a couple of year’s back. On the subject of Boza, good to see the fire damaged building that was latterly Bella Blu get some attention. Whether they have a new tenant lined up, I don’t know but it was close to becoming an eye-sore.

I was very disappointed when the Bella Blu closed. Excellent restaurant that would give any Italian in Town a run for their money. Pre lock down we had to go to the Moda restaurant at Hucknall.

#54 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:50 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

Exactly. That’s your lot. I’m one of their regulars so know what I’d be up against.

There are 2 or 3 half decent takeaways but otherwise literally nowhere for a meal other than cafes.

The takeaways do a roaring trade, even the grim ones. Doesn’t say much for the local populace really!

But they are not reopening Bella Blu after the fire because it was losing money apparently. I loved Bella Blu and much preferred it to the sister restaurant in Dronfield, but if it cant make money.... The Pump seems to do ok for snacks and stuff but evening meals seem to be a rarity there. People in Bowsa seem to head to Elmton, Heath, Scarcliffe, Shirebrook dev, or town and surrounds for meals out....

Best thing I found when we moved to Chesterfield was the great takeaways relative to Bowsa... although I still used to go to Arkwright for Chinese for a while....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#55 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:53 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 15 April 2021 - 07:22 PM, said:

I was very disappointed when the Bella Blu closed. Excellent restaurant that would give any Italian in Town a run for their money. Pre lock down we had to go to the Moda restaurant at Hucknall.

Is that why it closed? Never knew you went, I'd have been more discerning in my choices.... Little Italy was same owners and much closer to walton.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#56 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:58 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 15 April 2021 - 08:50 PM, said:

But they are not reopening Bella Blu after the fire because it was losing money apparently. I loved Bella Blu and much preferred it to the sister restaurant in Dronfield, but if it cant make money.... The Pump seems to do ok for snacks and stuff but evening meals seem to be a rarity there. People in Bowsa seem to head to Elmton, Heath, Scarcliffe, Shirebrook dev, or town and surrounds for meals out....

Best thing I found when we moved to Chesterfield was the great takeaways relative to Bowsa... although I still used to go to Arkwright for Chinese for a while....

Good restaurants can lose money for a variety of reasons. It doesn't mean that another business wouldn't be successful.

#57 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:06 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2021 - 08:58 PM, said:

Good restaurants can lose money for a variety of reasons. It doesn't mean that another business wouldn't be successful.

Indeed, but if a really good restaurant cant make money in a prime location near the Castle, and a car park next door, I am not sure the Swan will make a better case. I'd love there to be more options in Bowsa, I intend moving back one day and the more they do to make it a bustling town the better my inheritance!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#58 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 15 April 2021 - 09:06 PM, said:

Indeed, but if a really good restaurant cant make money in a prime location near the Castle, and a car park next door, I am not sure the Swan will make a better case. I'd love there to be more options in Bowsa, I intend moving back one day and the more they do to make it a bustling town the better my inheritance!

That depends on the reasons for them not making the required profits. Those reasons could be specific business failings and poor decision making unrelated to the viability of a restaurant in the locality.

Lots of perfectly viable establishments fail due to the landlord’s own drinking habits for example.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 15 April 2021 - 09:17 PM

#59 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:32 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2021 - 09:16 PM, said:

That depends on the reasons for them not making the required profits. Those reasons could be specific business failings and poor decision making unrelated to the viability of a restaurant in the locality.

Lots of perfectly viable establishments fail due to the landlord’s own drinking habits for example.

They do, but the people behind Bella Blu had history of success in other towns - Little Italy and one in Notts area. It could be specific to the manager - but they moved between sites. I'd love to see another good restaurant - anyone know what is going in behind them in same building? They seem to be turning the old Anchor into something more upmarket....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#60 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:52 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 15 April 2021 - 09:32 PM, said:

They do, but the people behind Bella Blu had history of success in other towns - Little Italy and one in Notts area. It could be specific to the manager - but they moved between sites. I'd love to see another good restaurant - anyone know what is going in behind them in same building? They seem to be turning the old Anchor into something more upmarket....

The Anchor is going to be some sort of combination of a salon and cafe.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users