Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Tommy’S Interview About Caldwell. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tommy’S Interview About Caldwell. On Peak yesterday.

#1 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Did anybody happen to catch the interview?
Tommy’s own words about Caldwell were that for whatever reason it just didn’t work for him here. He was trying to build a club up and that all the players were with him but he couldn’t understand why it just didn’t happen for Caldwell.

He also said that and I quote “what Gary Caldwell doesn’’t know about football wasn’t worth knowing”.
Now before everybody starts jumping on my back remember that this was said about Caldwell by one of the modern day legends of our club.
We can’t even say that the players he signed are crap because under Jack they are playing like good players. So what do we think was the reason why we failed so miserably under Caldwell?
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#2 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 10 December 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Tommy’s own words about Caldwell were that for whatever reason it just didn’t work for him here. He was trying to build a club up and that all the players were with him but he couldn’t understand why it just didn’t happen for Caldwell.

He also said that and I quote “what Gary Caldwell doesn’’t know about football wasn’t worth knowing”.
Now before everybody starts jumping on my back remember that this was said about Caldwell by one of the modern day legends of our club.
We can’t even say that the players he signed are crap because under Jack they are playing like good players. So what do we think was the reason why we failed so miserably under Caldwell?

His personality and his ability to motivate and interact with the players will have played a considerable part.

#3 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

I would say, from what we heard from him, he is a self centred individual who has no empathy whatsoever with his players and, indeed the fans. He needs to contact Jack and ask for suggested courses on sports psychology, and like Jack take a trip around different countries talking to top successful coaches in other sporting fields.
Although I suspect his response would be, 'why would I want to do that. I'm a good manager?'

#4 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

Caldwell always thought he was right and couldn't accept criticism. He had a pre-determined way of playing, a way he refused to change or accept wasn't working, and was prepared to see defeat after defeat until the players had gone through the learning process without recognising this shattered their confidence and self-belief.

In reality, his dour interviews sounded like "Mr Negative" compared to Jack coming over as "Mr Positive" and the players' performances have reflected the two characters.

#5 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Having watched Masterchef, celebrity master chef and professional masterchef I know a lot about cooking but .......

#6 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:38 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 10 December 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

I would say, from what we heard from him, he is a self centred individual who has no empathy whatsoever with his players and, indeed the fans. He needs to contact Jack and ask for suggested courses on sports psychology, and like Jack take a trip around different countries talking to top successful coaches in other sporting fields.
Although I suspect his response would be, 'why would I want to do that. I'm a good manager?'

Probably an exact assessment of what went off!
East stand second class citizen.

#7 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

But would the players be with him if he was so self centred?

#8 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 10 December 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

I should imagine anyone brought in by Caldwell would be with him; obviously players like Evo had a problem though. Until they saw the 'other side' for example the benefits of positivity, fitness and increased strength.
I think one thing we can deduce from the Tommy interview is that Tommy is a better diplomat that Steve Eyre and others.

#9 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 10 December 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

I don't think they were with him. Certainly didn't look like it when we were capitulating week after week.

Tommys a nice guy, and he's saying the right things. But the players didn't buy in to his ideas; because they - like everyone else - could see they weren't working and weren't going to work.

#10 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Tommy's too polite to call him a useless tvvat in public.

#11 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

Whilst I acknowledge that in Jack we seem to be witnessing an almost miraculous event, we must not forget that the environment he has created excludes Carson's interference. This is no coincidence. Carson didn't choose Jack, we did. When his application was made public Carson was stymied.

I know it's early days, but conversations should already be taking place on whether Jack's long term ambitions can be satisfied at CFC in terms of something much bigger than being a mere manager. His ideas and drive could be utilised in ALL departments of the club to create an institution of excellence.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#12 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

View Postdtp, on 10 December 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Caldwell always thought he was right and couldn't accept criticism. He had a pre-determined way of playing, a way he refused to change or accept wasn't working, and was prepared to see defeat after defeat until the players had gone through the learning process without recognising this shattered their confidence and self-belief.

In reality, his dour interviews sounded like "Mr Negative" compared to Jack coming over as "Mr Positive" and the players' performances have reflected the two characters.

Captained Wigan when they won the FA Cup but still the fans hated him...go figure

#13 User is offline   Mrhappy 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 10 December 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

I should imagine anyone brought in by Caldwell would be with him; obviously players like Evo had a problem though. Until they saw the 'other side' for example the benefits of positivity, fitness and increased strength.
I think one thing we can deduce from the Tommy interview is that Tommy is a better diplomat that Steve Eyre and others.

I personally prefer straight talking ie Steve Eyre, rather than skirting around issues. That said, I do understand why people including Tommy might be more diplomatic.

#14 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

View Postdim view, on 10 December 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Whilst I acknowledge that in Jack we seem to be witnessing an almost miraculous event, we must not forget that the environment he has created excludes Carson's interference. This is no coincidence. Carson didn't choose Jack, we did. When his application was made public Carson was stymied.

I know it's early days, but conversations should already be taking place on whether Jack's long term ambitions can be satisfied at CFC in terms of something much bigger than being a mere manager. His ideas and drive could be utilised in ALL departments of the club to create an institution of excellence.

Agree whole heartedly with the last paragraph; indeed someone, who posts on here, was telling me yesterday how he was invited into Jack's office when calling in the club, and ended up spending 40 minutes being cross examined by Jack (about how the club was being run, how was it different now from before and so on) rather than the other way around around.

Not sure about your first one though, it could be taken to mean that if Caldwell had taken over with Carson moved a little out of the way, that he could have been more successful. Not a chance in my view, he brought the players in, he failed to bring them to full fitness, failed to build up their strength, brought in an unbalanced squad, messed around with Steve Eyre and sent out a bunch of players each week totally devoid of confidence, with apparently no idea of how to play.

Sorry, I am totally unforgiving of Caldwell.

#15 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 10 December 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Agree whole heartedly with the last paragraph; indeed someone, who posts on here, was telling me yesterday how he was invited into Jack's office when calling in the club, and ended up spending 40 minutes being cross examined by Jack (about how the club was being run, how was it different now from before and so on) rather than the other way around around.

Not sure about your first one though, it could be taken to mean that if Caldwell had taken over with Carson moved a little out of the way, that he could have been more successful. Not a chance in my view, he brought the players in, he failed to bring them to full fitness, failed to build up their strength, brought in an unbalanced squad, messed around with Steve Eyre and sent out a bunch of players each week totally devoid of confidence, with apparently no idea of how to play.

Jack's approach is refreshing in that he appears to want to understand and influence the club from top to bottom, not just what happens on the pitch. It is old school in a way and I like it because it will help flush the shysters out of our club.

#16 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

Fair enough. I suppose you are arguing that some other manager could have provided an environment half way between Jack and Caldwell that would still have been acceptable. Thankfully we'll never know. Merry xmas.

well, if he posts on here, I'd expect him to give us a summary of what was said. It's important.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#17 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

Agree about failing to bring them to fitness and build up there strength. But if he brought in an unbalanced squad then surely Jack wouldn’t be able to get a tune out of them either.

#18 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 10 December 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

Agree about failing to bring them to fitness and build up there strength. But if he brought in an unbalanced squad then surely Jack wouldn’t be able to get a tune out of them either.

So are you saying our squad with one winger is balanced?

#19 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 10 December 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

Jack says he has unbalanced squad. That's good enough for me, although it's my opinion as well. Four windows he has said to get the squad he wants.
Jack getting something out of them is a testimony to his skills v Caldwell's.

#20 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostGoku, on 10 December 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

So are you saying our squad with one winger is balanced?

No.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users