• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alfreton Stream

#101 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:57 AM

View Postjack bauer, on 18 July 2021 - 08:38 AM, said:

wonder if we could see monty again if he overcomes his injury?

I hope so. He is an excellent keeper as was Smith!
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#102 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:02 AM

All this talk about Montgomery and Smith but they for better or worse have gone.We move on.

#103 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:06 AM

View PostThe Rev., on 17 July 2021 - 11:18 PM, said:

But what stood out most of all was Loach's reluctance to come off his line and command his box, which I think highlights the pressing need to sign another 'keeper, not least to provide competition for the number 1 spot between the sticks.

Well, sorry to disagree, but I watched the streaming very carefully and at no time did that thought cross my mind. I was surprised and disappointed that he was beaten from long distance but a defensive mistake created the chance and there's a possibility that the lad hit a worldy. I thought he swept up well and his communications were clear and obvious to all who weren't on mute.

Joe Rowley started on fire but I couldn't help wondering whether his early effort over the bar might be a defining moment. He moves the ball at pace better than anyone else in the squad but he desperately needs a goal and has done for a long time.

Grimes had me baffled, as I was with Smith when I first saw him, as to why such an accomplished footballer was playing at such a low level. Shows what I know.

Neither of the triallist CH's were as good as Sharman.

I was hoping to get some impression as to whether the new wing backs were equally happy at fullback, where we have a potential weakness especially on the right when Carline is out. I think though that with fitness levels currently being down it wasn't possible to tell.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#104 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:25 AM

View Postdim view, on 18 July 2021 - 09:06 AM, said:

Well, sorry to disagree, but I watched the streaming very carefully and at no time did that thought cross my mind. I was surprised and disappointed that he was beaten from long distance but a defensive mistake created the chance and there's a possibility that the lad hit a worldy. I thought he swept up well and his communications were clear and obvious to all who weren't on mute.

Joe Rowley started on fire but I couldn't help wondering whether his early effort over the bar might be a defining moment. He moves the ball at pace better than anyone else in the squad but he desperately needs a goal and has done for a long time.

Grimes had me baffled, as I was with Smith when I first saw him, as to why such an accomplished footballer was playing at such a low level. Shows what I know.

Neither of the triallist CH's were as good as Sharman.

I was hoping to get some impression as to whether the new wing backs were equally happy at fullback, where we have a potential weakness especially on the right when Carline is out. I think though that with fitness levels currently being down it wasn't possible to tell.

I agree about Rowley needing a goal but I would say the same about Weston who played a large number of games last season without scoring and with the emergence of Khan who, I suspect, will partner Oleyeke I do wonder if Curtis is destined to be a bench filler or one for a move out. It seems McCourt is back to full fitness with him playing the full 90 yesterday too.

I didn't watch the game but I note your comment re Sharman. I was disappointed to see both him and Rawson go but I do feel they have suffered from us not having an U23 squad. Sharman had a head on his shoulders and could place a pass but his defensive awareness and lack of physical presence might have improved in a development squad.

#105 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:37 AM

View Postdtp, on 18 July 2021 - 09:25 AM, said:

I agree about Rowley needing a goal but I would say the same about Weston who played a large number of games last season without scoring and with the emergence of Khan who, I suspect, will partner Oleyeke I do wonder if Curtis is destined to be a bench filler or one for a move out. It seems McCourt is back to full fitness with him playing the full 90 yesterday too.

I didn't watch the game but I note your comment re Sharman. I was disappointed to see both him and Rawson go but I do feel they have suffered from us not having an U23 squad. Sharman had a head on his shoulders and could place a pass but his defensive awareness and lack of physical presence might have improved in a development squad.

Well on that performance he can't leave McCourt out so in a 532 the midfield 3 would be Jack, Oleyeke, and Khan - moving to a very strong 5 when joined by Miller and King. That leaves just 1 place up for grabs assuming Clarke is a first pick.

I wonder if Rowe could be cute and have Weston's wage paid by the Trust as he's doing an Ambassador role?

#106 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:43 AM

I thought we improved yesterday as soon as Weston came on the pitch, always shouting for the ball and trying to move it quickly. It’s a strange feeling to have this many options for central midfield, Oyeleke is probably going to be one of the first names on the team sheet this season you’d imagine.

#107 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:44 AM

Will be interesting to see how we line up at the back.
When Hollis is fit thats 4 left sided CH and just Kerr who is a natural right sided CH.

If Kerr and Carline are not fit for the season opener then it has to be

King Gunning Grimes Maguire Miller

#108 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:48 AM

View Postbucko, on 18 July 2021 - 09:44 AM, said:

When Hollis is fit thats 4 left sided CH and just Kerr who is a natural right sided CH.

Rowe’s after another right sided central defender though isn’t he, we had two on trial yesterday hopefully we find one.

#109 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:51 AM

View Postdim view, on 18 July 2021 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well on that performance he can't leave McCourt out so in a 532 the midfield 3 would be Jack, Oleyeke, and Khan - moving to a very strong 5 when joined by Miller and King. That leaves just 1 place up for grabs assuming Clarke is a first pick.

I wonder if Rowe could be cute and have Weston's wage paid by the Trust as he's doing an Ambassador role?

McCourt is the best passer we’ve got in midfield but there will be some games when Weston’s more physical attributes will be needed so I suspect it’ll be horses for courses.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#110 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:52 AM

View Postbucko, on 18 July 2021 - 09:44 AM, said:

Grimes hit some good passes with his right foot. I'd swap him and Gunning round. In the long term I think it's going to be a Grimes v Hollis battle for the shirt. They look on first impressions to be clones, as do Oyeleke and Khan. Also, Hollis has a mid season contract review doesn't he? That could be significant.

#111 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:21 AM

View Postdim view, on 18 July 2021 - 09:52 AM, said:

Grimes hit some good passes with his right foot. I'd swap him and Gunning round. In the long term I think it's going to be a Grimes v Hollis battle for the shirt. They look on first impressions to be clones, as do Oyeleke and Khan. Also, Hollis has a mid season contract review doesn't he? That could be significant.

Grimes v Hollis battle for the shirt or will it be Grimes v Hollis battle to be back up to Gaving Gunning? Gunning is supposedly quite injury prone

#112 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:28 AM

View Posttomjoad, on 18 July 2021 - 09:02 AM, said:

All this talk about Montgomery and Smith but they for better or worse have gone.We move on.

we do move on, you're right, for me the goalkeeping position is a vital one to get right, teams with good keepers tend to do well, there's no mystery to that and we ended last season for the first time in a long time with 2 good keepers for the level we play at, ironically it was the lack of having a keeper on the bench that arguably cost us progressing further into the play offs. i'm sure it is a position that will be addressed, perhaps we'll see a promising u23 on a season long loan, who knows. The lad we had from Ipswich looked good in his few starts but i think he was sent back for "not being the right kind of person", a recurring theme? i hope not, Rowe seemed to like Monty but the question of his injury may force us to look elsewhere for a 2nd pair of gloves.

#113 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:30 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 18 July 2021 - 09:51 AM, said:

McCourt is the best passer we've got in midfield but there will be some games when Weston's more physical attributes will be needed so I suspect it'll be horses for courses.

HAVE YOU GOT THAT THE WRONG WAY ROUND, NEVER SEEN WESTON BEING PHYSICAL.

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 17 July 2021 - 05:43 PM, said:

Tom off on loan though. Manager speak for what?

From what I saw we need Denton up front from the off, never mind going out on loan.
God I hate this league.

#114 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:33 PM

View PostTiptoe thru the Cross St, on 17 July 2021 - 04:52 PM, said:

But if Alfreton deserved to win we must have been pretty dire especially in defence

Immaterial it's only a fitness gig, how many tackles did you see going in ? Players arn't going to put themselves in harms way in a friendly.
God I hate this league.

#115 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:15 PM

View PostDIFH, on 20 July 2021 - 02:30 PM, said:

HAVE YOU GOT THAT THE WRONG WAY ROUND, NEVER SEEN WESTON BEING PHYSICAL.

No need to shout. Weston is a hustler and harrier. Rowe likes him cos in the system he played last season he also dropped into defensive positions at the right time.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#116 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:42 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 20 July 2021 - 05:15 PM, said:

No need to shout. Weston is a hustler and harrier. Rowe likes him cos in the system he played last season he also dropped into defensive positions at the right time.

Thats what I said.
God I hate this league.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users